Cesme

My family and 2 friends went to Cesme to meet some friends over on holiday.

We stayed at a lovely brand new hotel called the Celik, very modern and really nice friendly staff.

Cesme was very expensive and they put 10% service charge on at the restaurants. We went into a restaurant where they charged us 10 lira for a glass of wine, the bill came for all of us to 54 lira and then they put a 6 lira service charge on top of that, needless to say we didn't pay the service charge.

Cesme was very nice and lots of shops etc, but like |I said very expensive, if I was to go again it would definitely be self catering!!!

We also had an earth tremor on the sunday morning, did anybody feel it here?

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Hi Aquarius,

Thank you for your nice little review :) We're planning to visit Cesme soon but just for the day, can't wait - It sounds lovely.

deanlo

Forum Legend
Hey Aquarius
We are planning on going to Cesme for a couple of days did you find some cheaper restaurants? And how close is the hotel to the beach/town?

Dean

The cilek hotel is 5 mins walk into the centre of cesme, it was 100 lira for the room with breakfast that was for 2 adults and our little boy was free, it had a swimming pool and was extremely clean and modern, tv, fridge, air con. There is a town square with a few cafes which the turkish people were eating at, although they don't sell alcohol. There are streets with lots of shops and cafes etc. It is very pretty in the old town with the castle, ampitheatre and caravanersay. The beaches are outside Cesme around 3 miles, so it seems you go out to the beaches and come into town to eat in the evening. We enjoyed Cesme but our friends who had been staying there for 2 weeks said they had been charged 10% on all meals they had bought. It is also much more windy there, that area is well known for windsurfing, so I would take a jacket. Just watch the prices of the food etc especially with the 10% service charge.

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
We finally visited Cesme a few weeks ago. It was so lovely, but very quiet as the season had ended. We were actually there on business so we got to look around some lovely hotels. Including the gorgeous Altin Yunus hotel, which had stunning views over Cesme's beautiful marina:

The town center was so cute and if you go I would defiantly recommend you try Cesme's famous sandwich - "kumru". :)

Just like to say that it is the norm to leave a tip of 10% if there is no service charge. I know most waiting staffs wages in Turkey are dismal and they're always so polite that it's nice to give a little appreciation when it's deserved.

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Kumru is a warm sandwich, made with a special bread with sesame seeds. It's filled with grilled sucuk (faggot) sausage, kaşar cheese and salami. They serve the food together with grilled tomatoes and fresh green pepper.

It's so yummy!

I used to go to Cesme every 3 months to get the ferry to Kios.
Friends of ours own the Erturk ferry company and so it worked out much cheaper than residency costs!
There are many nice hotels in Cesme. The altin yunus is beautiful, and we spent a day there once helping Ferhans ex boss search for a yacht.
But our favourite hotel is the Sheraton . The beach is fantastic, service and facilities are superb and we always have a really great time.
Friends come up from Istanbul every summer to the sheraton, so it's a mini break for us.
Carmella, did you see the sisus hotel in Dalyan koy? We stayed there for the opening and it was wonderful! Really spectacular architecture, interior design and lighting.
Charlotte

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Hi Charlotte,

No, unfortunately I didn't. Umit had to shoot some videos of the Sisus hotel, but I had such a headache I stayed in the car.

When they all returned to me lying in the car dosed up on apranax, they were talking about what a cool hotel it was, and how amazing the design was. I'm kicking myself now because it sounded awesome! :doh: :doh:

*****. Maybe you'll get another chance next year. I really loved it, and Umit would probably agree that it looks nothing from the outside , but the internal design and decor is stunning!
Cesme has so many nice hotels,you can find an excuse to visit every year!

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
teosgirl;137956 said:
*****. Maybe you'll get another chance next year. I really loved it, and Umit would probably agree that it looks nothing from the outside , but the internal design and decor is stunning!
Cesme has so many nice hotels,you can find an excuse to visit every year!
HAHA Char that's exactly why I didn't bother going in..It just looked like your average run of the mill hotel, and what with the throbbing head I thought ah sod it! Just goes to show ''Never judge a book by it's cover'' hahaha.

Umit and the Kusadasi Tour guys loved it. The designer was gay - so what can you expect other than amazing designs and brilliant use of colour. :)

Their website is cool aswell: http://www.sisushotel.com/en/index.php?

Hahaha, when Ferhan told me it was the opening night I honestly didn't think it was finished It was so cold and grey from the outside.........but go back again, and experience the real ambience.

Yes, we met him on the opening night. He's really nice, just brilliant.
Charlotte