Kusadasi Community Protest Against Canada Seal Slaughter

iamtravelr

Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
I know, this is little bit late action but i've just shocked when i see the "Canada Seal Slaughter" news in TV. As individual persons We Must Take Action!

Let me show some pictures about this damned slaughter!..

I am so sorry to show you that pix but you see the violence and bloodshed?

The 2005 Seal Hunt: The Battle Continues
On Tuesday, March 29, the largest commercial slaughter of marine mammals on the planet began off Canada's Atlantic coast. By the end of this year's hunt in May, more than 300,000 baby seals will have been brutally killed—many, incredibly, as young as 12 days old. The Humane Society of the United States has been on the front lines in Canada, reporting and videotaping events as they unfolded. Stand with us today as we continue to fight this atrocity and stop the seal hunt forever.
from -> http://www.protectseals.org/

The Canadian seal hunt is the largest commercial slaughter of marine mammals on the planet. This was true even before the Canadian government announced that it would allow fishermen to kill 975,000 harp seals off Newfoundland and Labrador between 2003 and 2006. Despite scientific evidence that such a high quota is unsustainable, the government claims the hunt will not harm seal populations. To make matters worse, it's doubtful that the Canadian government will even enforce the quota should sealers exceed it. After all, officials have turned a blind eye when sealers have exceeded quotas in the past.

The hunt targets very young seals. The Canadian government's own figures show that 96.6% of the reported 286,238 seals killed during the 2002–2003 hunt were between 12 days to 12 weeks old. These seals were most likely beaten to death with a club or a large ice-pick-like hakapik. Later in the season, hunters use rifles.

An alarming number of the seals are skinned while alive and responsive to pain. Recently, an independent, international team of veterinarians observed the hunt and examined the corpses of skinned seals. They found evidence that up to 40% of them had skull injuries that were not sufficient to have caused death.

Many Canadians—as well as citizens of other nations—are appalled by the brutality and unsustainability of this pointless hunt. And they don't believe the claims by the Canadian government that the hunt is necessary to protect the region's crashing fish populations, which have been devastated by many years of industrial fishing. These people want the Canadian government to stop not only promoting the hunt, but also helping out the seal fur, meat, and oil industries.
from -> http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/protect_seals/

2005 Seal Protest Reports and Must read websites:
http://www.seashepherd.org
http://www.seashepherd.org/events/seal_protest_050315.html

http://www.advocatesforanimals.org.uk/protest/seals.html

A Must Watch Slide Show, please watch the slide show:
http://www.hsus2.org/slideshow-seal-hunt/sealhunt.html

What We Can Do ?

1. Join the boycott of Canadian seafood products . We believe the Canadian government will quickly realize the economic impact of a fisheries boycott is too high a price to pay for the seal hunt. You can start by signing our pledge. The HSUS will deliver your pledge to Canada's government so the politicians will know you've joined our international "Protect Seals" team to end the hunt. Ask your local restaurants and stores where seafood are sold to boycott Canadian seafood as well.

2. Contact your senators and ask them to co-sponsor Senator Carl Levin's (D-MI) Senate Resolution 33 condemning Canada's seal hunt. You can find your senators' contact information by using our legislator lookup tool or by calling The HSUS at 202-955-3668.

3. Write, fax, e-mail, or call the nearest Canadian embassy. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you can look up the Canadian embassy in your nation. The contact information for the embassy in Washington, D.C., is below:
The Honourable Frank McKenna
Office of the Ambassador
Canadian Embassy
501 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20001
202-682-1740
Fax: 202-682-7701, 202-682-7678
canada@canadianembassy.org

Click here for suggested points to make.

4. Don't vacation in Canada. Consider instead spending your tourist dollars in a nation that does not actively promote the barbaric slaughter of wildlife.

5. Contact Canada's Prime Minister, Paul Martin, and the Canadian Tourism Commission. See our sample letters to Martin and to the Tourism Ministry for ideas on how to draft your own correspondence. But remember that the more unique your letter is, the more impact it will have.

Contact Information:

Prime Minister's Office
Right Honorable Paul Martin
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington St. Ottawa
Ontario, Canada K1A OA2
Fax: 613-941-6900
E-mail: pm@pm.gc.ca

Canadian Tourism Commission
55 Metcalfe St.
Suite 600
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1P 6L5
613-946-1000
E-mail: Use the Contact Us form on www.canadatourism.com.

6. Contact the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism Office.

Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism
P.O. Box 8700
St. John's, NL Canada A1B 4J6
1-800-563-6353
E-mail: tourisminfo@gov.nl.ca

7. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper protesting the seal hunt. Click here for suggested points you can make.

8. Support The HSUS's efforts to stop Canada's slaughter of seals.

Wear our seal apparel, and tell everyone why you're wearing it.

9. For warm weather, we've got two options. The first is the ever-popular "Club Sandwiches Not Seals" polo shirt.* Secondly, The HSUS has collaborated with Wildlife Works, the wildlife conservation-driven apparel company, to create a line of shirts that tell the world to "Do Something" to protect seals. For each shirt sold on this web site, $10 goes to the Protect Seals campaign.

And to help you make the statement in cooler weather, The HSUS has created the "Club Sandwiches Not Seals" sweatshirt and the "Protect Seals" for men and women.*

10. Ask the most famous designers who use seal fur and skin to stop providing a financial incentive for the seal hunt.

11. Tell everyone you know about the seal hunt, and ask them to sign our pledge to boycott Canadian seafood and contact the Canadian government to demand the hunt stop. One way to spread the word is to download a PDF of our Protect Seals brochure and leave copies in public places.
from -> http://www.hsus.org/marine_mammals/protect_seals/protect_seals_what_you_can_do/

And, please find the Canadian EMBASSIES and CONSULATES ( http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/world/embassies/menu-en.asp ) in your country and send them to an email. Here is an example email;

Dear Canadian Official,

I am writing to you concerning the killing of seals on the Canadian ice flows.

Hundreds of thousands of these beautiful animals have been brutally clubbed or shot. Some were skinned whilst still conscious.

Claims by Canadian Government officials and fishermen that the seals are to blame for dwindling cod stocks are unfounded. Cod is a very small part of the harp seals' diet and many now point to human over-fishing as being the most likely cause.

Disgracefully, the Canadian Government subsidised the seal hunt. The horrific images of the hunt have been shown extensively around the world and have seriously harmed Canada's image regarding animal welfare. I have no doubt that any continuation of this slaughter will affect the country financially through a loss of tourism and the sale of Canadian products.

For so long as the seal hunt continues, I for one will be left with no choice but to boycott Canada as a holiday destination and also to boycott Canadian products.

Please send your thoughts to "Official Business Site Of the Canadian Tourism Commission" (via web-based contact form);
http://www.canadatourism.com/ctx/app/en/ca/contact.do

You can also contact with the Prime Minister of Canada and tell him to stop this massacre.
Prime Minister's Office right Honorable Jean Chretien
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A OA2 Canada
Tel: 613-941-6888
Fax: 613-941-6900
Email : pm@pm.gc.ca

http://iamtravelr.com/pictures/seals.jpg

We Love the Seals !!!

This is horrible... I have no words!!! This article made me cry... Poor animals! I still can't believe it!

Something must be done!!!!!

oh i was reading about this in the paper last week and it just makes me feel sick, that these beautiful animals have to go through this so that the vain and selfless people of this world can have their fur for designer clothes!

I do not believe that these people should get away with this!!

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Aw, That is horrible. I watched the Slide Show and it made me wanna cry :(

Look at those ickle seals, how could anyone kill such harmless creatures?! :mad:

Thanks for the article, Ümi. The more people that are aware of this, the more things should be done to prevent it.

wow i really think this is a really good cause for us to prevent! it is such a horrible thing that is happening and we need to fight back! thanks umit for bringing it to our attention! :) i just cant believe people do this sort of thing its so depressing!
They also do this sort of thing with dolphins in Japan i just cant understand what would possess people to do such a thing! xxx

its amzing how cruel people can be. i work at a zoo n well we are a conservation centre its like there are only a few tigers left now so we fund ppl to catch the poachers who kill these beautiful creatures n also help keep them from going extinct more has to be done for animals before were left wit none!!!

That is so cruel, it does make you wonder, what kind of people are there in the world who could do this to a helpless animal and not feel anything..it scary, im a bit teary now...the seals are so beautiful :(

God i cant beleive some people have the mentality to be able to do that, its shocking! I just cant see why anyone would want to. Thanks for the artical umit, will certainly not be visiting canada anytime soon. I vote we find some of the hunters and treat them like they treat those seals

Anyone who could hurt any animal is sick, there is no need for these seals to be butchered!!! Its really worrying that this kind of thing is still happening to defenceless little animals for their fur etc!!!

Slaughter

I Firmly Believe That If Those People Have No Value On Animal Life They Would Have No Value On Human Life Either. They Should Be Charged With Murder Its Outrageous In This Day And Age. It Really Boils My Blood When I Hear About This Sorta Thing

Sue

Cant fathom!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
OMG!! I cant begin to fathom the idea of beating a wonderful creature that is innocent and harmless.... and for what??? NO DARN GOOD REASON!! when i saw this it made me cry and want to take action.... its gotta be stopped!

Attachments