Turkish Keyboard Layout and How to Use

I want to explain how to add the Turkish keyboard to your computer running Windows and how to utilize this new keyboard layout.

There are six letters in the Turkish alphabet that are not in the English alphabet, namely 'ç, ğ, ı, ö, ş, ü'.

For writing these letters without going into the hassle of using the alt codes or copy-pasting from some other location, you can simply add the Turkish keyboard layout to your Windows computer system.

Using the same keyboard, the layout will change a little to let you allow to type the Turkish letters.

Windows XP and Windows 2000 Users
Go to start/control panel

Here, if you see Date, Time, Language, and Regional Optionsdouble click on it and continue with Add other languages.

Select the Languages tab in the window that will show and click on the button that says Details...In the Settings tab of the window that comes now, click the button that says Add... In the drop-down box titled Input Language, select Turkish. In the drop-down box below that, named Keyboard layout/IME, select Turkish Q and click OK. Click OK until all the windows we opened are gone.
In the control panel, if you don't see Date, Time, Language, and Regional Optionsicon but there is an icon titled Regional and Language Options, double click that. Select the Languages tab in the window that will show and click on the button that says Details...In the Settings tab of the window that comes now, click the button that says Add... In the drop-down box titled Input Language, select Turkish. In the drop-down box below that, named Keyboard layout/IME, select Turkish Q and click OK. Click OK until all the windows we opened are gone.

These instructions apply for the following versions of windows:

• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
• Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition
• Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
• Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

Windows 98, and Windows Me Users
Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Keyboard

Click on the Language tab here, and then click the button Add.

Now, from the list of languages you see, select Turkish. Say OK until all the windows we opened are gone.

After You Add the Turkish Keyboard
Once you add the Turkish keyboard, you can switch between your old layout and Turkish layout back and forth by pressing the left alt and shiftkeys together.

It is very convenient to use the regular keyboard layout, then use alt + shift to switch to Turkish and alt + shift again to return to your layout when you are done with Turkish.

I have attached two pictures below showing what the layout looks like when you are using Turkish.

Hope this helps and will be essential if you are going to learn to write Turkish. :cool:

Attachments

Cheers lee!!!! ALl sounds a bit complicated for this time at night but im sure ill try it in the morning!!! Should be really useful!!!!

As we are talking keyboards, where do you find the @ sign on the turkish keyboard.

Been told many times while using the internet in Turkey but always seem to forget and have to ask:eek:

There are two types of Turkish keyboard, the Q and the F types. Most people have the Q type for which "Alt Gr & Q" is the standard for displaying "@". So I thoought maybe that Jake was using the F type. I've just checked the F keyboard: you press "Alt Gr & F". Jake, you've mystified me!

If you keep forgetting which keys to press to switch between keyboards you can turn on the language bar instead which displays "EN" in the system tray. You click on it to toggle between "EN" and "TR". To turn on language bar, right click on your system tray, select toolbars, then language bar.