Turkish ATMs....

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Automated teller (cash) machines are everywhere in Kusadasi and even in many small towns.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Turkish or English is always available, and sometimes French or German. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Once you insert your card, you will be offered a choice of language to operate the ATM.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your bank account will be debited for the amount you withdraw plus a nominal service charge.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the machine doesn't recognise your card, your bank or your account, just try later, or try another bank's ATM.[/font]

If the[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ATM does not process your transaction on Sunday, this could well be that your home bank is closed and the transaction cannot be verified.[/font]

Sil = Delete (Yellow)
Iptal = Cancel (Red)
Giris = Enter/Return (Green)

Attachments

**claire**

Super Moderator
Your bank account will be debited for the amount you withdraw plus a nominal service charge
If you are going to use the ATM's as a service fee is charged, it will be to your advantage to take out enough cash too see you thru, therefore only recieving the one charge.

:)

**claire** said:

If you are going to use the ATM's as a service fee is charged, it will be to your advantage to take out enough cash too see you thru, therefore only recieving the one charge.

:)
Its changed Claire.... the limit for foreign bank withdrawals in one transaction is 500YTL about 200 quid at current rates.

Actually i would like to point something out here.

When i was in Turkey in August of last year, i went to the bank machine twice, both times i went there i took out 100ytl (approx 50 euro). Thats all i took. When i got back to Ireland and checked my balance there was 400 euro gone from my bank a/c as well as the 100 euro i had taken out. I never found that money, it was fraudently taken from my a/c after i used the ATM. I asked my bank and there was nothing i could do, it showed the money i had taken myself and the service charges, but 400 euro had also been taken, just not by me!

But a friend told me that a tour operator rep in Kusadasi had told them upon arrival to be very wary of ATM's in Kusadasi as if you dont wait there for a few minutes after you take your money out, there are people who can hack into your a/c through the ATM.

As you can imagine, i was none to pleased. So i never used an ATM in turkay again.

I've never had any problems with the ATM's in turkey, and i use them a lot. But as Shannon Said u have to be careful bcause my friend had the same problem, evertime she maid a withdrawing form a bank she lost 300-400€. It was only the akbank near the gökce hotel she had problems with. I have also taken money from that bank, but never had any problems, But after hearing that i might choice another bank, if i need cash!! so as shannon said, after u take your money, stay there for a little bit so u hopefully wont have this problem

I never had any prob's by taking money from machines in Turkey. But heard al lot of strange stories about it...like Charlotte and Shannon just told.. :( For me it will be better to open up an bankaccount in Turkish Lira...so I will have no problem's .... I hope.... :confused:

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Yeah i've used them in Kusadasi & Bodrum, and had no trouble at all! They don't charge commision either & you get your money straight into Lira. Brillo.

ben

Black Knight
I have used the Akbank with no problem if you Use a Nationwide debit card you will pay no charges even if you only take out 50YTL !

all atm machines are vunrable to fraud
there are many devices which can read youre card details
as shannon pointed out it is best to check that details have fully cleared before leaving machine
or better still go in and make counter withdrawal
this type of theft goes on worlwide but any tourist resort must be high up on theifs target areas

kay

Kusadasi Kiwi
So far I have been lucky but my home country has just had a spate of ATM Scams. Last visit when I went to put my card into the machine it did not feel quite right - was a bit tight and felt as if the slot had been filled with something- so did not use it and later I found that a special reading device had been inserted by what we call skimmers to record data. If possible use an ATM inside a bank as that is not quite as likely to be suspect.

kay

Kusadasi Kiwi
Just and update on the ATM scams. The majority of our ATMS have now been fitted with a new device which looks like a box on one side of the card slot - and its apparently stopping skimmers but they have just arrested 4 members of an international group of skimmers and are going to "throw the book at them". This group has worked inEurope, Canada, UK Aust and NZ - but Im sure thats only the tip of the iceberg

Hi Kay, Are you in the UK? If so "throwing the book at them" will normally mean giving them 1/2 hours community service, a 4quid fine from their giro's, and an all expenses day trip out to "old mother shiptons cave" in Yorkshire to discover their "inner beings" with a chip supper on the way home!

kay

Kusadasi Kiwi
No - NZ at the moment. Our judicial systems almost as stupid however this one appears to have touched a raw nerve and they are still all in custody awaiting sentencing. With a little bit of luck the trial will be delayed so they will have a long wait in the right place. White collar crimes getting a bit of an airing at the moment and it appears that these people have an international reputation so once NZ have finished with them its a bit unofficial but they are going to be sent onto the justice system in other counties to let them be resentenced. Might but then again might not - be a bit of a deterent to others.