The evil eye

Everywhere in Turkey, as well as in other countries, you will see the evil eye. In glass beads, in bracelets, even painted on the girls fingernails. I think in every hotel, bar, resaurant, shop, private house, you will find one. I have one in my garden, one above the backdoor, one on the fridge, one around my neck in gold.
The story goes wayback to Egypt. Also in Isreal history it plays a role. Basis is: if looks could kill. When somebody, whithout even meaning to, looks jealously at you, your lifestock, your baby, your crop, it can hurt these things and people and aminals it looks at. A mouth can shout, and say horrible things, but still the evil eye is more dangerous, eyes being the mirror of the soul.
To protect yourself, your house, your family etc. you wear an evil eye, so the other evil eye will be afraid to touch. You see them in the busses, the taxi's, everywhere.
Even without this historical knowledge, they are very decorative, inexpensive and a nice souvenir to present to your friends back home. You don't have to look far for them, you will find them anywhere. For more (semi)historical information, check Google: evil eye. :roll:[/i][/b]

It works best if it is a present. Some shopkeepers and people on the market give you little glass eyes on a little safetypin, whith a kind of grapes in different colours. I don't know about the grapes, but in Spain it means Luck, and you get real grapes (twelve) at twelve o'clock on newyears eve, and have to eat one whith every beat. That is what I like about traveling: learning.

Hi Kusadasi Guy,

Hi Kussadasi Guy,
you are great, and very quick. I hoped you would 'up a pic' and you did. The picture of Hodja was also very beautiful. I don't dare to add pictures, because of the copyright. You are a great team player! Thanks. :clap:

Well yours is about the turkish culture, that's nice too hear. Of course it's also nice too know about Kusadasi and around, but we are going too turkey, so a little cultural information is always nice :D

So if u know anything else, please let us know.

Have u been going too turkey for many years?

xxx C xxx

Re: Have been to Turky very often, I love it

turquoise said:
Lot of Germans (sorry neighbours)
no problem :cheesy:
that's (almost) exactly why we avoid Antalya/Alanya ;)
but after all there is not much difference between drunken germans, brits, russians or netherlands... exept depending on your nationality you would understand what those *** are chanting :cheesy:

already forgot...
this "evil eye": I heard it titled as "Fatimas Eye" to avoid the evil eye sounds more positive to me but I don't know.

on the boats I chartered there was a "Fatimas Eye" always near the steering and the only small accident I had was during a night when we lost this charm. No question that we bought one as soon as possible :D

greetings

Rincewind