I have a GMAIL account

iamTravelr

Admin
Staff member
Blogger
My good friend from USA ** Barry Schwartz invited me to using GMAIL.
**Barry Schwartz is the President of RustyBrick Inc. (http://www.rustybrick.com), a Web services firm specializing in customized online technology that helps companies decrease costs and increase sales. Barry is the search engine roundtable weblog's site administrator and is responsible for the management of the site on a day to day basis.
and now i have a brand new email (kusadasiguy@gmail.com) with 1000MB space (10X of Yahoo, 500X of hotmail)
I will publish some screenshots. GMAIL really rocks!!!!

Here are some features;

A new view of your inbox
The old way
When you read a message, you have to rely on your memory to recall what was said in previous emails about the same subject.
The Gmail way
Each message you send is grouped with all the responses you receive.

Grouping related messages creates meaningful 'conversations.' When you open a message in a conversation, all of your messages will be stacked neatly on top of each other, like a deck of cards. We call this 'Conversation View.' As new replies arrive, your stack of cards grows. Grouping messages this way allows you to quickly retrieve related messages and view all your messages in context.

A more flexible filing system
The old way
You create an elaborate filing system of folders and subfolders, then decide where to file a single message.

The Gmail way

Instead of folders, Gmail uses labels to give you the functionality of folders, but with more flexibility. In Gmail, a single conversation can have several labels, so you're not forced to choose one particular folder for each message you receive. That way, if a conversation covers more than one topic, you can retrieve it with any of the labels that you've applied to it. And, of course, you can always search for it.

Don't waste time deleting messages
The old way
You have to delete messages on a regular basis so that you don't run out of storage space.

The Gmail way
With 1,000 megabytes of storage, the typical user can go for years without deleting a single message.

You never know when you might need a message again, but with traditional webmail services, you delete it and it's gone forever. With Gmail, you can easily archive your messages instead, so they'll still be accessible when you need them. If you decide you no longer want a message in your Inbox, just hit the 'Archive' button and the message will still be available in 'All Mail' or through a search.

An easy way to see all your messages at once
The old way
You only have a few options for managing messages: file them, delete them, print them, or leave them in your Inbox.

The Gmail way
Gmail simplifies this process by placing your messages in 'All Mail' when you use the archive function.

'All Mail' is the holding place for all of the messages you've sent or received, but not deleted. When you delete a message, it's gone forever. With Gmail, you have enough storage space to last for years without deleting a single message. Just archive everything and all your messages will be searchable and easily accessible.

Search that actually works

The old way
You dig through your folders or search, but still can't find messages that you know are in your email.

The Gmail way
You have a variety of search options that return speedy, accurate results.

Gmail features built-in Google search, and as with Google's keyword-based web search, Gmail returns fast, accurate results. As long as you archive instead of delete, you'll be able to find any message you've ever sent or received. Having reliable search also eliminates the need to create elaborate folder structures. Now you can just stick a label (or two or three) on a conversation and search by label, keyword, date range or a host of other options.

I am really happy to use my gmail - Google is really #1 internet company and now preparing to serve us better free email.

Congrats Google! :clap:

WOW! 1GB.. Thats really something..
I am using yahoo, but like you said this has 10X more space.
I got used my yahoo address so much that I can't change it ;)
GO yahoo!! :wave: :razz:

iamTravelr

Admin
Staff member
Blogger
June 23, 2004

From CNet: "The upgrade will increase Hotmail's free e-mail storage limits from 2 megabytes to 250MB and its paid e-mail service, which costs $19.95 a year, from 10MB to 2 gigabytes. The changes will begin in early July."

The storage follows similar announcements from Google and Yahoo. The storage boost started when Google announced in April that it plans to launch a new e-mail service called Gmail that will give people 1GB of storage for free. The service has attracted some controversy, because it will serve advertisements based on keywords found in the text of peoples' e-mail messages.

Indeed, Google's initial steps into storage increases countered the industry's trend to charge extra for more memory. Over the past few years, Yahoo and Hotmail have both taken steps to decrease memory in hopes of convincing free users to become paying subscribers.

Earlier this month, Yahoo launched its own upgrade to 100MB for free users and 2GB for its paid users. The company said the changes would make e-mail storage a "nonissue."

"We'll remain focused on what e-mailers want and need, and people can expect to see a number of new enhancements to Yahoo Mail in the coming months," Yahoo spokeswoman Mary Osako said in response to the Microsoft announcement.

Ask Jeeves also plans to grant its e-mail subscribers more storage room. Earlier this year, the search company acquired Internet Search Holdings, including My Way, The Excite Network and iWon.com, which all serve Web surfers with free e-mail. Ask Jeeves plans to give each of the sites' e-mail subscribers 125MB of free storage, up from an allottment of 3MB to 6MB previously.

Separately, Microsoft said it will offer free antivirus software to scan e-mails before they appear in a user's in-box.

own mail is the best

I think it is best to use your companies webmail instead of using yahoo or hotmail. If you have to pay for a big storage in hotmail, pay for a host and a domain instead. You can have your own name in the domain area.