Turkish drinks

There have been many threads about Turkish food and what we like and dislike, what about Turkish drinks? I have not had the chance to try many, but I did try ayran last year in Marmaris it is not only quite tasty but apparently very good for your body!

susanteyze

Kusadasi Pilgrim
First holiday - drank apple tea til it was coming out of my ears. Never had it since then as I much prefer the traditional cay - all my friends think I'm mad as I don't put sugar in it. Love it so much brought home the teapots you make it in and the loose tea itself.
Also ada cay (sage tea) is very good if you have a sort throat with some lemon squeezed in it - I swear by it. Much better if you use proper sage but failing that I always bring home the teabags (do you see a pattern here).
Efes - ccan't not mention that but don't need to bring it home as they sell it in Tescos!
Raki - hmmm - used to drink large amounts of the stuff with Fanta or Sprite - all my friends used to think I was mad (another pattern here) but now I'm older and maybe even wiser I just have the odd one with water (the 'proper' way) although I will betrying raki cherry juice this holiday as recommended by Ally, Mavi and Rhona!
Ayran - bleurgh (sp?) - had it on one of my very early holidays (90s) and swore never again although I keep thinking I must try it whenever I'm having lahmacun but then I end up ordering Efes

susanteyze

Kusadasi Pilgrim
How could I forget Turkish coffee! Bleurgh bleurgh bleurgh. Had it once in 1997 and that was only so my friends mum could read my cup!!

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
I don't like raki or ayran at all. I've tried them numerous times but each time they are just as disgusting as the last.

I love Turkish tea and apple tea. My anne makes the best Turkish tea I've ever tasted, she puts special bergamot spices in it and it takes forever and a day to coo, but it's so worth the wait.

I love Salep ..I drank it all Winter, it's especially yummy with cinnamon.

Not long ago Umit gave me sage tea (ada çayı, also called "island tea") I didn't want to drink it because, well, it looks disgusting and usually has a flippin' branch in it, but I was pleasantly surprised - it's soo-hoo good (and very helpful for the body..I drink it if i'm not feeling well and it always makes me feel better)

Another beverage I don't really like is Boza. Street vendors walk around our neighbourhood shouting ''Boooooooooza'' Umit bought me some once and I tried it, but alas it wasn't for me.

My favorite drinks in Turkey are probably the juices. The blood orange mixed with pomegranate is soooo-hooo good. I'm a bit of a Cappy-aholic!

I love ayran i drink it all the time when im there its really refreshing! i love apple cay the man at the hairdressers always gets his assistant to bring me cups of it!

I too have never heard of boza, nor salep. In my first post I forgot to give turkish coffee a mention which i do love. The only thing I find is that it is so strong it keeps me awake half the night so i cannot drink it in the evening. I had the pleasure of trying Salgam which is made from dark turnips and violet carrots and sira, it may sound quite disgusting but it was rather nice.

The first Turkish friends i made in Turkey told me that if i wanted to understand their country i would have to drink lots of raki. I dont like raki at all but thankfully i still understand their country. When im there i drink apple tea but only in certain places because the taste varies from cafe to cafe.

The first time I tried Ayran I thought it was disgusting but after a while I got used to the idea of drinking yoghurt and salt together and I love it now. You have to drink it fresh and cold though, preferably with froth!

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
Ayran....ughhhh!!! Having to drink that would be a form of torture for me. The smell reminds me of the butter milk from years ago.

You don't have to go out and buy Ayran though. Make it yourself..... natural yoghurt, water and salt. Give it a good mix, with a blender if poss for the froth and away you go.

Ally- Ayran is one of those things you either love it or hate it

i could drink cups and cups of turkish tea. yummy....
but i have to say a big no no to ayran and i have tried it on more than one occasion thinking i would eventually get a tast for it as its so good for you but i have since given up trying to get a taste for it. it just aint gonna happen.
i do enjot the odd glass of raki but i find after a few sips i start to realy heat up and in the temperatures in august thats not a good thing.
and i just love the mixed fruit juice by dimes

dancing_devil;186736 said:
i could drink cups and cups of turkish tea. yummy....
but i have to say a big no no to ayran and i have tried it on more than one occasion thinking i would eventually get a tast for it as its so good for you but i have since given up trying to get a taste for it. it just aint gonna happen.
i do enjot the odd glass of raki but i find after a few sips i start to realy heat up and in the temperatures in august thats not a good thing.
and i just love the mixed fruit juice by dimes
I buy the little carton of dimes juices, the grape one is my favourite and they are great to take to the beach.:)

LKA

Milas Melek
I only ever drink ayran if I have pide or a doner, somehow it seems the right drink to accompany them. However I make it all the time at home as my husband drinks gallons of it. I absolutely adore salep...I think it's a very soothing and comforting drink. I love çay which is strange as I never drank tea in the UK...can't stand it..but çay is different somehow.

I don't mind raki very occasionally, and also prefer it with cherry juice rather than water. But one's enough...any more gives me a headache.

I love wine, but never drink it here as I haven't really found one that I like. In my opinion Turkish wine isn't very good and it's expensive. (I make up for my lack of wine consumption on my visits to the UK however!)

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
I used to give my turkish neighbour cups of tea made from teabags which i had taken over much to his disgust -but this last visit he presented me with a big old aluminium double teapot and a bag of proper cay-and i was given a very serious lesson on how to make it properly.!!So now i think i;ve gone up a little in his estimation .kib

zeytin

Connoisseur
I love Ayran with gozleme or in the mornings when i dont fancy breakfast, i feel it does me good somehow:) Tried salep last week and i find its lovely and comforting just before bed, also the drinking chocolate,s lovely on a cold winters night, (specially with a good dollop of brandy in it):D: while your watching a good horror movie:D Can,t stand Raki, and not found a really good wine, sirince fruit wines nice, but no good for budding alcoholics as theyre not strong enough, but taste nice.