Ataturk Statue

ben

Black Knight
We went to Ataturks statue the other night,
Looking out over the harbour the veiws are the best in Kusadasi,
But why is the area up there in such a state of neglect ?

ben;176691 said:
We went to Attiturks statue the other night,
Looking out over the harbour the veiws are the best in Kusadasi,
But why is the area up there in such a state of neglect ?
Do you mean 'Ataturk'? We should spell his name right:busted:

I now what you mean. I havent been up there yet but I spy on the area with my Binoculars. and the buildings look like shanty houses. I keep saying to my wife we should buy one and build something on op of it.

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
Lots of the "cingene"(gypsies) live up there in houses built without planing permission-"built at night "as the saying goes.My apartment overlooks the grand bazaar and the port and the view of the cruise ships and down to the marina is fantastic but the views from up there must be incredible.Our street is very steep and when the cingene have a celebration they all pour down it in their colorfull costumes -dancing and singing -banging drums-on the backs of old trucks --we dont know where they go to unless they just parade around the town- it is really a spectacle in itself-then in a few hours they come back to trudge up the very steep street to go home all laughing and talking-we watch from the balcony.Last year they had a little boy dressed in a white suit with a cockade in his hat riding a horse-he looked like a little prince as he was led down the street on his horse-he only looked about ten . kib

kibris;176716 said:
Last year they had a little boy dressed in a white suit with a cockade in his hat riding a horse-he looked like a little prince as he was led down the street on his horse-he only looked about ten . kib
That would have been a Sunnet (circumcision) celebration Kıb.

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
Ahhh --thanks mike -poor little bugger!!!!lolA while back i also heard that the gypsies were going to be rehoused futher away from the town-maybe in those awfull tower blocks whenever they get finished and the illegal shacks pulled down and villas built in there place . I cant see all that land going to waste up there with its amazing views.But of course this is turkey-anything could happen. kib

At first the statue base area was great - than the gypsy kids and other "immigrant" tenagers started to drink there and it became unsafe. So a couple of years ago they started to charge a v small entrance fee, placed barbed wire fences around the top which were not visible to the visitor but kept the place secure and there was a guard at the entrance and on the site- Than so many people complained about the 2 lira entrance fee that they made it an open park with no supervision again - and Voila! we see the results... I am sure we would all prefer to pay a couple of lira and see tha place in peace and quiet- Watch yourself there after dark - it seriously isn't safe.

iamtravelr

Admin
Staff member
Blogger
Couple of weeks ago we were there and gypsy kiddies started to attack our car :mrgreen:

definitely not safe place.

I'll try to upload a video that we recorded there.

A waste of one of the best views in Kusadasi....... and to say it is ATATURK I am surprized the "powers" that be allow the area to become such a dangerous place. It should be a focal point of the town .....

Umit I cant beleive they attacked your car thats terrible.. They are so untrustworthy though.. I also suggest people stay well away..

How do you get to the statue.. I live near the Palmera hotel and there is an entrance to the park that side maybe you just walk over the hill..

My best friend has one of the big glass fronted houses on the hill overlooking Snake Island.. Many a time in the evening it would be just me and her and the kids sitting having dinner on the patio to the back of the house and there would be groups of gypsies who would just sit on their haunches and stare at us... I always told them to go away and not be so rude but I worried about what they would do when my friend was not in the house.. and the truth is her house has been burgled 4 times in 3 years and on most occasions people actually lived in the house as her bed was used and so was the bathroom and tins of cheese and olives were found.. Cant prove it was them but sounds odd !!!

Maria x

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
bubbolina;176822 said:
Umit I cant beleive they attacked your car thats terrible.. They are so untrustworthy though.. I also suggest people stay well away..
I've been up to the Ataturk statue twice now, and each time i've been pestered by gypsie kids. I actually feel quite sorry for them. One boy in particular was handicapped and was running around with no shoes on when there was broken glass all over the floor.

Other children who must have been about 7 were playing with paper aeroplanes, but they had gone through a hole in the fence and were literally standing on the edge of a sheer cliff. :confused:

When we drove off they all surrounded us and shook our car vigorously which was a little daunting, but it's not the kids you have to worry about, it's their parents.

It's such a shame, like Deniz said i'd rather pay a small entrance fee and have the area kept safe and clean rather than how it is now. The views from the statue are probably the best in Kusadasi.

There's some photos from the hill here: http://iamtravelr.com/thread16346.html

bubbolina;176822 said:
How do you get to the statue.. I live near the Palmera hotel and there is an entrance to the park that side maybe you just walk over the hill..
Yes Maria, you just walk over the hill and the statue is on the far side.