Kusadasi To Samos Day Trip

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
pavschick;214563 said:
Mella great post can I pick your brains? Which agent did you buy your ticket from. I stayed in Samos last year for a few days. I paid €50 for an open ticket which on reflection now seems expensive for such a short journey. Need to go again in May hence the interest. thanks in anticipation of a reply
Hi Pavschick, the funny (read: stupid!) thing is - I can't remember who we used. :eek: My friends bought the tickets for us when they were eating in a restaurant from a guy who was there and worked for a travel Agent. I'll try and find out the name for you. You can get tickets to Samos from any of the travel agents around town though. We sell them too so you could ask the price (Travel@Kusadasi.biz) or pop into Meander Travel, I know they are the main one for tickets to Greece.

We have to go to Samos to renew our visas. Do customs automatically issue a new stamp, or is there a point at which they say, "you've got 4-5 days left on your old visa, there is no need for a new one".

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
JandJ,

No, you don't automatically get a new visa.

Your passport gets stamped when you check in at the Kusadasi port on your way to Samos, whether you need a visa on the way back or not.

When you arrive back into Turkey after you've been to Greece, the area where you need to get a new Visa is different from the passport control queue.

If you need a visa, you go to the separate 'Visa' booth, pay your money and get a new visa. Then you can join the other queue to go through passport control and get your new visa stamped.

I don't think they would say anything if you have 4-5 days left, even if you have weeks left on your Tourist Visa (not that you'd want to renew it then but...) as far as I know, you are always allowed to get a new visa, it's up to you. I have gone to Samos & Chios when I've had days left, and in one case I had 3 weeks left but I wanted to go with friends and decided to get a new visa whilst I was at it.

I hope that made sense!

PS. Are you in Foca? Cesme - Chios would be closer for you? (& it's much nicer than Samos)

Thank you very much for your reply. We are in Kus around the time that the visa needs renewing, so although the Cesme route is nicer, its more convenient for us. Thanks again, keep up the good work xx

That was a lovely post Mella. But I would never go to Samos when I am in Kus unless I had to renew my visa. As I live in the UK that would never happen.
Before we discovered Turkey we spent our hols going to the Greek islands. They all look lovely but are all the same in my opinion. I am not a lover of Greek food and used to starve when we were there, I have been to Santorini, Lesbos, Aegina, Spetse. They all look nice but little to do when you are there. The siesta is a pain as there is nothing to do. Also found the Greeks to be unfreindly. Discovered Turkey 20 years ago and have never been back to Greece.
But I thought your post was really informative, so many thx.

Fleur

Connoisseur
I hate the boat trip over, I wish there was a hydrofoil service. I go usually at the end of September for a change of scene and to do some shopping, but I agree with you Dozza, there is not a lot to do on these islands and the afternoon siesta is a pain in the derriere, if they want to do business (and they are always moaning they only have 4-5 months), they should stay open.

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Hi Jeepers Creepers,

I tried to search for some information about this, i found this it says that you do need a visa to enter Greece, just like Turkish nationals do. I don't think you can apply for this in Kusadasi you would probably have to do it in your own country.

Mella;231451 said:
Hi Jeepers Creepers,

I tried to search for some information about this, i found this it says that you do need a visa to enter Greece, just like Turkish nationals do. I don't think you can apply for this in Kusadasi you would probably have to do it in your own country.
Thanks alot , i appreciate your efforts :)

Rhona

Kusadasi Queen
Mella;177153 said:
I paid 40 lira for the ferry ticket and €10 (roughly 20 lira) for port tax. So, altogether 60 lira. You can purchase ferry tickets to Samos from a number of the travel agents around Kusadasi, some already include the port tax into the price, whilst with others you have to pay on arrival at the harbour.
The boat leaves Kusadasi at 9.00am, and you should arrive 30 minutes prior to departure. If you have booked with a travel agency then transport from your hotel to the port is usually included.

Walk right through the Scala Nuova Shopping Center heading right until you arrive at the Cruise Ship entrance. Once you're at the Departure gates, you will see passport control where your passport will be stamped (whether or not you want a new visa on the way home) and you will be issued with a boarding card. You'll find the Duty free shop where you can purchase goods, but remember you will have to lug the bags around Samos for the day, so perhaps it's better to go there on return to Kusadasi.

We were 140 tl for two of us, booked through an agent, this was including the tax and the pick up/drop off. This was ok I felt, we would have had to get a taxi at that time of the morning which would have been 30tl.
When we went through our passports were taken from us by the rep and handed to a young boy who ran off with them, then the rep left!!!
We were a bit concerned (to say the least, I though John was going to run after the lad)
We all sort of wandered aimlessly to the departure gate, where there were 100 students from Uraguy (sp), and all had about 3 cases and bags each. We stood in the queue for ages behind these students, then saw the rep, who had our passports.
All in it was very disorganised for us, but Im sure everone else knew what they were doing:eek: Im not complaining, just posting this as advice for anyone else who books through the agents.

The students were great on the journey, singing and playing music most of the time.

Well we finally got there, I have not seen my cousin for 15 years, and her daughter for 17 years. It was a fantastic day and very emotional, who knows when or if we will see each other again.

I cant advise much on the town its self, it was clean and with lots of shops, though I found them to be very expensive. We had a fantastic lunch with some very nice wine, great company and fond memories.

The actual ferry journey was smoother than I expected, and I spent most of it peering out to sea (I love the sea). Though I still cant figure how it takes so long to go such a short distance??? It feels like a bit of a time warp.

Attachments

We went for the day last week with some brits we met in kusadasi, i enjoyed the day because of the company and we had a great lunch in this beautiful restaurant but i found it expensive compared to turkey and if i was only in kusadasi for 2 weeks then i wouldnt make the trip to greece it is pretty cool to tell people you went to greece and turkey tho! hehe.

..my missus went to book the samos ferry for tuesday for a shopping trip..she went to meander travel asked the price ,they said 75 TL my missus thought that was a bit pricy and they asked if she was a resident.she said ..and they asked for 65TL after showing her residency book..:)

We did the Samos day trip last week with English friends. We wandered through the town (nice enough, but HOT) and found a nice little park with a cafe. In front of an amazing archaeological museum! There's stuff there that the British Museum would kill for.
Just sayin', it doesn't have to be just 'wander around the shops then sit in a bar until 4.30'.
Oh, and make sure you get back to the port in VERY good time, because you have to line up for a long time before going through passport inspection and back onto the ferry.
And the toilet facilities at the ferry port are basic, to put it politely.

jake 51;285751 said:
..my missus went to book the samos ferry for tuesday for a shopping trip..she went to meander travel asked the price ,they said 75 TL my missus thought that was a bit pricy and they asked if she was a resident.she said ..and they asked for 65TL after showing her residency book..:)
They always charge me €30 (inc. port tax) in the travel agent opposite Serif restaurant on Ladies Beach

Samos town alternative

Take a taxi over to Kokkari for a relaxed lunch still a beautiful unspoilt small resort worlds apart from Samos main town. Taxi costs about 9 euros well worth it.

Suz

Explorer
Hi, I know it's a little old now, but thanks for the great post. My family will be visiting turkey for two weeks, we wouldn't have to buy new visas on the return to Kusadas after a visit to Samos would we? I assume it would be valid for leaving and re entering as many times as you like within the timeline it's valid for.

After you have done the shops in Samos town get a cab across to Kokkari for lunch about 10 euros and 15 mins beautiful peaceful small fishing town.

Thanks guys, is there a beach in Kokkari? I am interested in finding an easy to reach beach that would be good for my two year old. (shallow clean water, etc)