Ephesus Brothel Advert

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger

An advert (graffiti) on one of the marble paving stones for a brothel at the city of Ephesus, the ancient Roman capital of Asia minor. in modern day Turkey.

The advert includes a heart, a cross, a womans head, a foot and cash; and it has been translated as 'turn left at the cross roads where you can buy a womans love'. Ironically, the brothel is positioned opposite the ancient library.

Ephesus was home to the Temple of Artemis, one of the ancient wonders of the world, who was viewed as the goddess of fertility and crops. The temple was known throughout the ancient world for its prostitutes and hedonistic celebrations. There was even, sadly a sect known as the Nicolatian Christians who engaged in such hedonism and are mentioned in the Bible (Revelations 2) and Isaiah commented on how these people had corrupted the teachings. (Isaiah 13:12)

A friend of mine told me about this but I never found it.

It´s funny that you should find an article about it. This sort of stuff really fascinates me.

kay

Kusadasi Kiwi
Hep - you must have had your eyes closed. Once you leave the library continuing down the avenue its on the left hand side - about 200m walk from the library.

My first visit to the site was with an archeologist and his comment was that he did not consider it authentic - but was prepared to admit there is some doubt.

kay;194791 said:
Hep - you must have had your eyes closed. Once you leave the library continuing down the avenue its on the left hand side - about 200m walk from the library.

My first visit to the site was with an archeologist and his comment was that he did not consider it authentic - but was prepared to admit there is some doubt.
I must have, but I never wander around with a tour group and the sun is rather harsh against the stone & marble, I find myself walking around and squinting.:p

My first impression of it was that too. Hmmm

theres a secret tunnel in ephesus going from the library to the brothel i read that some where though ive never been on a proper tour of ephesus.