new year in London

Hi all,

We are planning to spend the new year in London, any recommendations or experiences you want to share? What did you do, where did you spent the day, and at which party or how you welcomed the new year?

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
I have never spent New years eve in London, but I would love to - they have the most amazing firework show over the London Eye.

How long will you be there for? They have a big Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park which looks really fun. There's a large outdoor ice rink, a German Christmas market, Toboggan slide etc. It's open until 4th January.

More info: Winter Wonderland

There's a website called VisitLondon.com which has some suggestions:

New Year's Eve clubs: Click

New Year's Eve fireworks information: Click

New Year's Eve events: Click

Firework cruise: Click

Spent a few New Year Eve's in London most notably on the millenium where we were watching the countdown on a big screen at Piccadilly Circus.There were hundreds of thousands partying that night, it was a great atmosphere all the central roads were closed of traffic, it seemed a completely different place.

Never booked a hotel.Used to get down there as late as possible then spent all night in a club till 6, then catch the first train back in the morning.Bit too old for that now (I like my sleep:))

Everywhere will be packed till bursting, expect to que to get into some places.Don't go if you don't like the crowds.

Alot of the pubs are open till late.Best to get in places way before midnight
and plan in advance as much as possible.

Time Out website and magazine is usually a good source for information.

I've heard Edinburgh is the place to be on New Years Eve though:p

**claire**

Super Moderator
I did london a few years ago & we all hated it. it was so insanely busy :(

we got to Trafalgar square at 1140pm to be there for the countdown & it was horrendous, there must have been thousands of people there, all pushing & shoving (to get where i dont know??) & none of us felt safe, we stood there for 10mins & then decided that we couldnt do it anymore so we left, ran on to the tube & got into a nightclub as the bells started chiming.

needless to say, we'd never do it again :doh:

Mella;196609 said:
I have never spent New years eve in London, but I would love to - they have the most amazing firework show over the London Eye.

How long will you be there for? They have a big Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park which looks really fun. There's a large outdoor ice rink, a German Christmas market, Toboggan slide etc. It's open until 4th January.

Hi Mella, I think will go on the new years eve and come back the next day,
I will check the web sites you sent, thanks:)

wow, thanks for the tips, I must say I love my sleep as well;)
but we are so lazy lately need to be a bit active I guess! so will see..

marky mark;196637 said:
Never booked a hotel.Used to get down there as late as possible then spent all night in a club till 6, then catch the first train back in the morning.Bit too old for that now (I like my sleep:))

Everywhere will be packed till bursting, expect to que to get into some places.Don't go if you don't like the crowds.

Alot of the pubs are open till late.Best to get in places way before midnight
and plan in advance as much as possible.
I must confess I'm kindly scared of what you've written as well, living in the big city fo long time I know how insane it might be! I guess need to find our places before crayzness starts!

**claire**;196680 said:
I did london a few years ago & we all hated it. it was so insanely busy :(

we got to Trafalgar square at 1140pm to be there for the countdown & it was horrendous, there must have been thousands of people there, all pushing & shoving (to get where i dont know??) & none of us felt safe, we stood there for 10mins & then decided that we couldnt do it anymore so we left, ran on to the tube & got into a nightclub as the bells started chiming.

needless to say, we'd never do it again :doh: