Update on overstaying your visa

now the ferrys are about to start there shouldnt be any need for anyone to worry about renewing your visa on time especially if youve applied for a residents permit but just in case anyone thinks you just get a fine, smack on the wrist and are allowed back in this is the latest directive that the authorities are imposing..........

OVERSTAYING IN TURKEY:

Until now, the citizens of the EU/OECD countries who have overstayed in Turkey have been imposed an entry ban into Turkey upto five years. It was possible to lift this ban by paying the fine at the port of entry.

According to the new regulation and a recent announcement by the Turkish Ministry of Interior, this entry ban will only be lifted in case the overstayed person applies to the Turkish missions abroad for the relevant type of visa such as work, family reunion, study, long term residence, meeting, conference, cultural activity etc. The visa applications will be forwarded to the Turkish Ministry of Interior for approval and the relevant type of visa will be issued after the Ministry’s instruction.

Once the visa be granted, then it is possible to travel to Turkey and pay the fine at the port of entry.

.............imagine owning a holiday home then finding out you have to wait many months for a decision to be let back into turkey, and a hefty fine at the airport! please check your visa dates its 90 days INCLUDING date of entry, not 3 months

It would be my nightmare tp be banned from Turkey, half my possessions, a house and many friends are there. Its good you brought this to peoples attention, its an important issue.

.i already mentioned on another thread a few months back ,i went to samos for the day and our visas were 2 days out of date ,and i think i had to pay around 218ytl for 2 of us..on the spot and i was taken to the polis station in customs..:busted:

oh my god thats soo terrible you had to pay the fine then were taken to customs at least you got back though :) ... but still lesson learned i better renew mine .. 1 week before that happens

i dont need visa to enter Turkey. but i can stay only 1 month, not 3 as most of u. so wanted to ask- is it the same- i can just reenter every month and get a new stamp? or it works differently. would appreciate any info about this...

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Eviya;211207 said:
i dont need visa to enter Turkey. but i can stay only 1 month, not 3 as most of u. so wanted to ask- is it the same- i can just reenter every month and get a new stamp? or it works differently. would appreciate any info about this...
Hi Eviya,

You say you don't need a visa, but the sticker/stamp is the visa - Does your passport get sticker-ed and stamp when you enter Turkey? do you have to pay for it?

I found this on a visa related website:

Latvia: Ordinary passport holders are required to have visa to enter Turkey. You can obtain a 30 Days sticker type entry visa at the port of entry in Turkey.

So I guess you do.

I hope someone else can help you with this as I'm not 100% sure, but just because ours is 90 days and yours is 30 days, I think, just like us, you could go to Samos (or another Greek Island) and get a new 30 day visa when you re-enter Turkey.

Since few years we dont need the visa anymore, so it must be some older facts. I get stamp but no sticker and I dont have to pay anything. anyway, thanks a lot for info!!!

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
I bumped into a friend of mine from Dublin yesterday at the tuesday market. She was telling me that she was worried she wouldn't be allowed back in to the country as when she was going home at xmas her 90 visa had lapsed one day and she was given an immediate 3 month ban from entering Turkey. I can't remember if she said she was also issued with a fine.

So everyone please be careful and remember that it's 90 days not 3 months.

Can you tell me what happens if you are late getting your residence up dated, my friend lent her Turkish man friend some money on the understanding he would pay her back before her permit run out and now he is saying he can give it to her yet. What will happen to her when she does go to the police station to renew it. I told her that if she pays the fine she will be ok, but if she tries to leave the country they will ban her am I right. I was talking to this girl and I asked her about her permit and she said I am always late and just pay the fine, if you pay and dont refuse or make a fuss then it should be ok. Any advise

im only willing to quote from personal experiance not gossip or third hand hence i can confirm if your visas expired when you leave the county, the very latest legislation is that you have a ban put into passport as you leave, stopping you from returning untill permission granted by turkish consulate in your home country ie uk.
you have to show good cause why you need to return ie schooling etc as per other thread on subject once granted you pay the fine on returning to turkey at customs before entering and its per day your visa expired
(this took us 2 days to clarify and confirm with police, customs and port officials late last year, before we said sod it and got residency)

hopefully someone can confirm what happens if your here and want to stay here but the visas expired, whose got first hand recent experiance, either way............the customs here arent stupid and the longer the situations left the worse it gets so please see them as soon as possible

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
soulmates2uk;215782 said:
hopefully someone can confirm what happens if your here and want to stay here but the visas expired, whose got first hand recent experiance, either way............the customs here arent stupid and the longer the situations left the worse it gets so please see them as soon as possible

I agree with Gary...best to get it paid asap. I have read online of people who let their Residency Permits expire and just don't bother to get another one. Someone wrote on another forum asking what the fine would be for not renewing 4 years ago! :busted: These kind of people are Turkey's "illegal immigrants". :eek:

Hi everone,

I am Ally friend that got banned, just wanted to let you all know my story and hope it is a warning to everone. I was two days over my visa and when leaving by istanbul airport was given a fine dident know i had been banned untill i was on the plane because they did not tell me it was on the back of the recite i was given after i paid fine and it was not that very easy to see.
When i got back, got in touch with the Turkish Embassy and was told i could get ban lifted.Had to go to embassy with letter from my employer in ireland,6 month bank statement,passport showing that i had not over stayed before,and prove that i owned a house in turkey and visa application form,had to pay 100 euro as well, long story short dident get ban lift.
I then got in touch with Irish Embassy in Turkey and they spoke to the Turkish consulate who told them once you get ban it can not be lifted,so i wasted my time and money applying to turkish embassy.
I am now back home in turkey and so happy to be back. Just remember it is 90 days not a month.
Hope this is a help to everone.:)

Overstaying

I agree with what you say but my point is if you go to the airport knowing your visa has expired they will ban you, if you go to the police station knowing you visa has expired and willing to pay the fine it is accepted, if my visa was out of date I would not temp to go to the airport.

Hi there, im new to this forum purely due to the subject matter of expired visas. My 90 day visa expired whilst i was in turkey in 2007. When i left the country i was told at passport control that i could return next year and pay the fine on passport control so last year(2008) i returned and was stopped at the airport. I was told that the law had changed and that to return to turkey i had to obtain a different visa whilst in the UK i was then sent home from turkey on the next flight! very distressing! Can anybody give me any information as to the chances of being granted this visa? many thanks

mybobo07;216165 said:
Hi everone,

I am Ally friend that got banned, just wanted to let you all know my story and hope it is a warning to everone. I was two days over my visa and when leaving by istanbul airport was given a fine dident know i had been banned untill i was on the plane because they did not tell me it was on the back of the recite i was given after i paid fine and it was not that very easy to see.
When i got back, got in touch with the Turkish Embassy and was told i could get ban lifted.Had to go to embassy with letter from my employer in ireland,6 month bank statement,passport showing that i had not over stayed before,and prove that i owned a house in turkey and visa application form,had to pay 100 euro as well, long story short dident get ban lift.
I then got in touch with Irish Embassy in Turkey and they spoke to the Turkish consulate who told them once you get ban it can not be lifted,so i wasted my time and money applying to turkish embassy.
I am now back home in turkey and so happy to be back. Just remember it is 90 days not a month.
Hope this is a help to everone.:)
hello my name is lyndsey i recently returned from turkey on the 28th sept 2010 going over my tourist visa by 7days.. i got a fine in the airport which i could not pay so they gave me 5 year ban from turkey.. i was about to apply to the turkish embassy to get the ban lift, but i read your comment and you said you did not get a ban lift threw the turkish embassy. what do you sugest i do. my fiance is living in turkey can he help in any way. thank you.

lyndseyspence21;287719 said:
hello my name is lyndsey i recently returned from turkey on the 28th sept 2010 going over my tourist visa by 7days.. i got a fine in the airport which i could not pay so they gave me 5 year ban from turkey.. i was about to apply to the turkish embassy to get the ban lift, but i read your comment and you said you did not get a ban lift threw the turkish embassy. what do you sugest i do. my fiance is living in turkey can he help in any way. thank you.
hello lyndsey, just wondering if u did end up applying and what happend did u get it granted? im currently in the EXACT same situation as u and in need of advice.