Update on overstaying your visa

hello i have applied to the consulate 2 months ago n now i am waitin for my visa. but i tried to just go bk n they turned me away at pasport control so dont try that, they just said come bk with visa from consulate. wat have u dun n how long did u overstay.

Good point about the visas being 90 days, and not 3 months. we try to get at least two trips to our house out of one visa stamp, and always thought it was 3 months. Thankfully it seems we have managed to do it within 90 days, or else passport control haven't been able to count!
We are coming out end of Feb and then again in April, and we intend to use one visa stamp for both trips. However, my current passport runs out in June, and I seem to recall reading somewhere that passports need to have at least 6 months left to run from the end of the visa.
Does anyone know if this is correct for a British Passport.

magda;297751 said:
:)
Yes you need 6months on your passport, however you can renew your passport early and they will add the extra months onto your new one.
I can't speak for every country, but they definately don't do this for an Irish passport. If you renew 6 months early, you lose it... I know the topic of needing 6 months was brought up many times, so just do a search and see what it comes up with. If in doubt, email the Turkish Embassy, that way, if you get a favourable reply, print it off and bring with you....surely that will defo cover you....

I had only 8 weeks left on my Irish passport when I travelled last July and there was no problems. I do know that the 6 month rule applies if you are travelling to the USA. As suggested check with the Turkish Embassy.

lyndseyspence21;297624 said:
hello i have applied to the consulate 2 months ago n now i am waitin for my visa. but i tried to just go bk n they turned me away at pasport control so dont try that, they just said come bk with visa from consulate. wat have u dun n how long did u overstay.

have u had any news yet lyndsay? i applied 6th december and im stil waiting will b 9 weeks no and not heard a thing ive been in touch with them twice and jsut being told to be patient im really worring about the outcome as i need 2 be back out there. i overstayed by one day i gave them everything they asked for at the consulate including invite frm my partner to come turkey and copy of his kimlik fingers crossed hey!

Hi
can u let me know if you sorted ur visa out, I went to the consulate in London on 20th April and am hoping to fly to Turkey on 17th June, how long does it take?
Kel

Hi,
I have overstayed and leaving Turkey tomorrow. I will be fined TL 400 approx and will be banned for 6 months. Although I have a valid multiple entry visa (up to June 2012), I will have to apply for a new visa form the Turkish Embassy in my country (as I will be banned when I leave Turkey tomorrow for 6 months). I would quickly like to know if the visa procedure is the same as that of the normal visa (which takes only 2 weeks). As per the internet information, it says:

"The visa applications will be forwarded to the Turkish Ministry of Interior for approval and the relevant type of visa will be issued after the Ministry’s instruction."

I applied for a residency permit (whatever you call it) and it takes 2 months to get the interview date so wondering if getting a new visa also take that long (as the local embassy will probably need to contact the ministry of interior in Turkey to get the permission!

Actually, I applied for a residency permit and got an interview date of Dec 01, 2011. I went there, they requested more documents. I provided those after a week (as it took time to get all the requested documents), they said I came late and my original application is not valid anymore so apply again (they didn't tell how quickly I was supposed to come back). I applied again in Dec 2011 and now have an interview on Feb 21, 2012 (but need to travel tomorrow for 2 weeks to my country). I am here on a business visa for business meetings. Appreciate a quick reply! Thanks

peril

Connoisseur
" I have a valid multiple entry visa (up to June 2012)"

Obviously, I'm either missing the point or today is a slow day for me - but how can you have overstayed if you still have a valid multi entry visa?

The multiple entry visa is valid but I can only stay for a limited number of days (which I have exceeded) during each visit. The visa I need is just to re-enter Istanbul (tourist visa, business visa etc).

:)
Yes you need 6months on your passport, however you can renew your passport early and they will add the extra months onto your new one.
Just to confirm that for a UK passport that is true. I've just renewed mine 9 months early; the 9 months were added to my new passport; it enabled me to apply in the low season and get it within 3 weeks in Turkey.

Hi,
I have overstayed and leaving Turkey tomorrow. I will be fined TL 400 approx and will be banned for 6 months. Although I have a valid multiple entry visa (up to June 2012), .....
Actually, I applied for a residency permit and got an interview date of Dec 01, 2011. I went there, they requested more documents. I provided those after a week (as it took time to get all the requested documents), they said I came late and my original application is not valid anymore so apply again (they didn't tell how quickly I was supposed to come back). I applied again in Dec 2011 and now have an interview on Feb 21, 2012
Omair, sorry but I think that we are struggling to understand what visa you are talking about; tourist visa? Work visa? Please tell us why you think that you've overstayed and then maybe we can help better. As Peril says, how can you have overstayed if you've got a valid visa?

About residence permits; I see you've got an application in and an interview for February. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but on the Istanbul police web site they state
The date of appointment arranged through the E-Appointment system is considered as the application date; and the person will be considered to have applied even when visa period or residence permit period terminates before the appointment date
You might want to take a print out of your application and confirmation of interview date.

Istanbul police website: click me

I came on a business visa (like a tourist visa) valid to stay for 30 days only. My office sent a guy to the airport with my details and they said I will have to pay the penalty and will be banned for 6 months (after looking at all the information I provided in my original post). That is ok and not the issue. They said I have to apply for a new visa to enter turkey again from my home country (and this will get the ban lifted which is indeed true). The new visa I will apply will be for the purpose of visit here (which is business in my case as have to come here to attend some meetings). Just need to know if the visa application procedure is the same in this case or different (as I will be banned for 6 months). Also, how much time will this process usually takes (I am just afraid the interior ministry in Turkey will take a long time to reply to the embassy back home from my experience of applying for the residence permit twice). I also called the embassy in my country and as usual they said when you apply, we will look into your case.

peril

Connoisseur
Sorry Omair, I think I understand now, but unfortunately I can't answer your question Embassies and government ministries are a law onto themselves and I should know - I work in a government ministry!

Just need to know if the visa application procedure is the same in this case or different (as I will be banned for 6 months)? Appreciate a reply on just this! Have postponed my flight due to this confusion for 2 weeks so need do know at the earliest before leaving Turkey. Thanks.

Fleur

Connoisseur
Just need to know if the visa application procedure is the same in this case or different (as I will be banned for 6 months)? Appreciate a reply on just this! Have postponed my flight due to this confusion for 2 weeks so need do know at the earliest before leaving Turkey. Thanks.
You need to ask the authorities, try the Police station on the promenade, but why overstay in the first place?

General Update
As this thread is quite old the penalties and conditions described at the beginning have changed considerably. I haven't got an official link but the current situation is described in Fethiye Times (June 2011) as:
An over stay of between 1 and 15 days - There is no restriction on re-entering Turkey but s/he will have to pay the appropriate visa fines and will need to obtain his/her new visa from a Turkish Consulate..... However, recent evidence shows most people are issued with their new visa by the immigration police after paying a hefty fine.

Overstay by 16 days or more and you'll face fines AND restrictions on when you can come back into the country:

For an over stay of 16 days or more – Not only will a person have to pay the fines for over staying but they would also need to leave Turkey and would be refused entry to Turkey for 3 months
For an over stay of 3 months - In addition to the fines the person would have to leave Turkey and would be refused entry to Turkey for 6 months.
For greater periods as above with fines but double the refusal of entry times – 6 months over, 12 months out of Turkey etc.
source: click me

I am in the over 3 months overstay category and have been told I will be refused entry for 6 months (after paying the fines). They said no problem and I can apply for a new visa from my home country. However, the rules above clearly says I cannot apply for a new visa from my home country (as per above, a new visa can be obtained from a turkish consulate only if overstay is up to 15 days). Hmmm...

I can't speak for every country, but they definately don't do this for an Irish passport. If you renew 6 months early, you lose it... I know the topic of needing 6 months was brought up many times, so just do a search and see what it comes up with. If in doubt, email the Turkish Embassy, that way, if you get a favourable reply, print it off and bring with you....surely that will defo cover you....
I have recently renewed my passport & the unused months on my old passport were added to the new one