Update on overstaying your visa

ben

Black Knight
You have been allowed to add up to 9 months when renewing a Uk passport for quite a long time.
Every country has its own rules no matter how strange.
Betty are you a Irish passport holder ?
Omair maybe the best thing for you to do is go to the tourist police station on the sea front.
They should be able to give definative help as it maybe simpler to sort things out before you leave Turkey.
But as few of us here are on business visas, and it sounds as if you maybe from Iran, as you still have not said which countrys passport you are on, its hard to help.

... However, the rules above clearly says I cannot apply for a new visa from my home country (as per above, a new visa can be obtained from a turkish consulate only if overstay is up to 15 days). ...
It doesn't say that at all. For periods over 15 days the rules fail to say where you have to apply to; personally I would assume that you would have to apply to a Turkish consulate. Remember that the description in Fethiye Times is their interpretation / translation of the rules from another source.

Logically there are only two possibilities (someone else chip in if there are more!):

a. that you have to apply to a Turkish consulate in your country, or
b. you can get your new visa on entering Turkey.

If it were (b) you would have a daft situation like this:

Fred overstays by 15 days. He has to apply to the Turkish consulate in his country.
Jim overstays by 16 days. He is rewarded by being allowed to get his visa at customs control on arriving in Turkey.

I can't think of any advantage in you postponing your overstay in Turkey to learn which is correct as all of this can be learnt from the Turkish consulate in your home country. But, by postponing your stay here as you say you have, you run the risk of being banned for more than six months, as the Fethiye Times article describes.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Everything points to getting the visa from my home country but I contacted the embassy back home (twice) and they confirmed they cannot issue me a visa until the 6 months ban expires. The reason I am still in Turkey is 1) my interview for visa extension is on Feb 21, 2012 and 2) until then, I can attend meetings/work (the main reason I was here for and if I leave now, I won't be able to come back possibly for six months!).

Ignoring everything, I would like to know the following:
- I entered Istanbul on Sept 07, 2011 (on a 30 day business/tourist visa). Applied for residence permit/visa extension for 6 months on Sept 30, 2011. Got an appointment date of Dec 01, 2011. When to the interview. More documents were requested. Went to submit the new documents but was told I came back too late and the application has expired so was told to apply 'again'. I applied again and now the interview date is Feb 21, 2012.

Question: Do you guys think I will be able to get an extension on Feb 21, 2012 (as this second application was made 'after' expiry of my visa and after my first application expired/became invalid?)

Btw, I am from Pakistan in case it helps! Thanks

Hi Omair, thanks for the extra clarification. As to your question I have no experience of this, so can't express a valid opinion. But whatever happens, please remember to come back and let us know so as this may help others who find themselves in a similar position later.Good luck!

Is it still the case that the Turkish authorities have not issued a date for implementing the 90 days in 120 rule for visas for UK passport holders ? I have a sailing boat I want to keep in Turkey. I want to sail in Turkey for 60 days in the spring and 60 days in the autumn. To keep it simple let's say May - June in Turkey, home to the UK for July August, back to Turkey Sept, October, and then back to the UK until the following spring. I am bound to fall foul of the 90 days in 180 rule when it is introduced. Will I be able to do what I have planned, does anyone know ?

Hello,
My name is Daniela Popescu, Teacher and Translator, I'm a Romanian citizen and for a period of 2 years have been living and working over the territory of Turkey.

I exceeded the touristic visa with about 100days, and on 18th of December I left the country to come to Romania for Christmas, at the airport in Istanbul they counted my days and notified me regarding the procedure, gave me a 570tl fine to be paid once I return since I didn't have enough money at that point, mentioning that my return with no visa will bring a 5 year interdiction.
I applied at the Embassy of Turkey in Bucharest, on 10th of January and yesterday, 09.02.2012, I received a negative answer with the mention that I appear with a 5 year interdiction in the system. I mention the fact that I was not informed about this situation when I left Turkey, they denied me a copy of the papers they got me signed and also a Turkish Interpreter to guide me throughout the process.

It's needless to say how desperate and urgent my situation is, I have a Turkish fiancee, never had any negative intentions over there and I recognize and admit my fault, now I want to find all possible ways for me to return to Turkey and continue the legal formalities, residence&work permit, where I shall apply individually so to avoid future problems.

Any idea, advise will be greatly appreciated, I've been calling and insisted at the Embassy of Turkey in Bucharest to clear me up all possibilities that I might have but so far I got no answer.

I will be waiting impatiently for your reply.

AlanK

Connoisseur
Hello,
My name is Daniela Popescu, Teacher and Translator, I'm a Romanian citizen and for a period of 2 years have been living and working over the territory of Turkey.

I exceeded the touristic visa with about 100days, and on 18th of December I left the country to come to Romania for Christmas, at the airport in Istanbul they counted my days and notified me regarding the procedure, gave me a 570tl fine to be paid once I return since I didn't have enough money at that point, mentioning that my return with no visa will bring a 5 year interdiction.
I applied at the Embassy of Turkey in Bucharest, on 10th of January and yesterday, 09.02.2012, I received a negative answer with the mention that I appear with a 5 year interdiction in the system. I mention the fact that I was not informed about this situation when I left Turkey, they denied me a copy of the papers they got me signed and also a Turkish Interpreter to guide me throughout the process.

It's needless to say how desperate and urgent my situation is, I have a Turkish fiancee, never had any negative intentions over there and I recognize and admit my fault, now I want to find all possible ways for me to return to Turkey and continue the legal formalities, residence&work permit, where I shall apply individually so to avoid future problems.

Any idea, advise will be greatly appreciated, I've been calling and insisted at the Embassy of Turkey in Bucharest to clear me up all possibilities that I might have but so far I got no answer.

I will be waiting impatiently for your reply.
Sorry, but it seems you broke the rules and must now pay the penalty. If you marry, you may be allowed in but I don'!t know. You really need to seek the advice of your own Turkish Consulate and your embassy in Turkey.
Best of luck.

I will go until the boarder with Turkey to pay the penalty and then return to Romania. Visa for marriage doesn't grant either the allowance back to Turkey and regarding the Turkish Consulate...they didn't give me either some clear answers just saying same, marriage can be a solution, but the entire visa for marriage and family integration concept might take up to 1 year...

If anyone has any notion about getting a ban lifted...or any ideas...please do reply, thanks once again...

hi My name is hanna, my husband lives in turkey since sep 2012..first 3 months got visa through airport, then got a resident permit for 6 months, then reapplied again for extension for resident permit since he is waiting there for his interview with us embassy in ankara, but the the third time around he got denied even though the turkish authorities gave him rthe appontment but after he went to the appointmnet they denied him extension and asked him to leave and subject him to pay a fine and banned him for 3 months.if he leaves he will miss his us consulate appointment and his case case with us consulate will be cancelled. what should i do/ and where can I go to get help?......can the turkish consulate help me?....we are very scared and need some one to help us with the answer..is there any way the ban can be lifted?

Hi everyone, hope you are all well. I am so confused, I overstayed my tourist visa my 22 days. My friend has been to the foreigners immigration thingy and they said that there was no problem for me to come back because I paid the fine at the airport when leaving Turkey, the guy said to me dont come back to 3 months. The 3 months are now over do I just get an e-visa and go or do I have to go to the consulate? Is it very complicated? What paper work do they want? My husband is a Syrian refugee and we have a son we have already been ripped apart once by the war and I hope not again...:(

im only willing to quote from personal experiance not gossip or third hand hence i can confirm if your visas expired when you leave the county, the very latest legislation is that you have a ban put into passport as you leave, stopping you from returning untill permission granted by turkish consulate in your home country ie uk.
you have to show good cause why you need to return ie schooling etc as per other thread on subject once granted you pay the fine on returning to turkey at customs before entering and its per day your visa expired
(this took us 2 days to clarify and confirm with police, customs and port officials late last year, before we said sod it and got residency)

hopefully someone can confirm what happens if your here and want to stay here but the visas expired, whose got first hand recent experiance, either way............the customs here arent stupid and the longer the situations left the worse it gets so please see them as soon as possible
What if you paid the fine at the airport? Do you still have to go through all this faff?

I will go until the boarder with Turkey to pay the penalty and then return to Romania. Visa for marriage doesn't grant either the allowance back to Turkey and regarding the Turkish Consulate...they didn't give me either some clear answers just saying same, marriage can be a solution, but the entire visa for marriage and family integration concept might take up to 1 year...

If anyone has any notion about getting a ban lifted...or any ideas...please do reply, thanks once again...

Hi Daniela
Could you please tell me if you managed to return back to Turkey after your ban and if how long did it take? I have the same situation i overstayed for 10 days and got a fine to pay in Istanbul airport. I didnt have enough money so i got a ban for entry for 5 years. I was told i can apply for visa and the officer on turkish consulate told me i have a high chance to get it in case im willing to pay the fine. I dont know if he told me this only to make me feel better or if its really true i have a high chance. I was reading stories from girls with similar situation and all were negative. I didnt apply yet...and im really worried as i want to be back with my fiance.

Hi Tina,
since Daniela was last seen Feb 11, 2012 on this forum, that's a long time ago, you better send her a PM!

Because you now owe money to the Turkish State, you simply must pay before you can apply for a new visa.
Once your depts are cleared there shouldn't be any problem, good luck, hope it works out for you!

Hi Tina,
since Daniela was last seen Feb 11, 2012 on this forum, that's a long time ago, you better send her a PM!

Because you now owe money to the Turkish State, you simply must pay before you can apply for a new visa.
Once your depts are cleared there shouldn't be any problem, good luck, hope it works out for you!
Hi Tina,

Hi
Thank you for answering me, honestly I've seen the date of Danielas post but I was hoping she might get some notification and she could check..Anyway I'm not sure how to send her pm. About my payment I was told can do it only in case I will be granted new visa and pay to police officer in Turkey.Did you hear of anyone who was granted new visa in this situation?

peril

Connoisseur
Noticed a new sign at passport control in Istanbul yesterday - if you have overstayed your visa or failed to renew your residency permit you have to report to a separate area - it's written only in English too.

Hi everone,

I am Ally friend that got banned, just wanted to let you all know my story and hope it is a warning to everone. I was two days over my visa and when leaving by istanbul airport was given a fine dident know i had been banned untill i was on the plane because they did not tell me it was on the back of the recite i was given after i paid fine and it was not that very easy to see.
When i got back, got in touch with the Turkish Embassy and was told i could get ban lifted.Had to go to embassy with letter from my employer in ireland,6 month bank statement,passport showing that i had not over stayed before,and prove that i owned a house in turkey and visa application form,had to pay 100 euro as well, long story short dident get ban lift.
I then got in touch with Irish Embassy in Turkey and they spoke to the Turkish consulate who told them once you get ban it can not be lifted,so i wasted my time and money applying to turkish embassy.
I am now back home in turkey and so happy to be back. Just remember it is 90 days not a month.
Hope this is a help to everone.:)

Hi. I was in Turkey and overstayed 11 days, got a fine on 300TRY and because my flight was taking off in 10 min i did not have time to run to the bank (this was transit flight) through Istanbul so they gave me an entry-ban of 3 months and said to pay the fine next time i come. I was told that I can only get a visa through Turkish Embassy and not an e-visa next time. So i went to Turkish consul, gave all required documents for turist visa; bank statement, invitation letter from my boyfried, university letter etc. Waited 8 weeks and the visa was declined without any explanation ofc. I really dont understand why they rejected me...did they tell you why ban can not be lifted? Its crazy since according to consul website it states that ban can be lifted if applied through them.
Anyway how did you get back to turkey? I applied for the visa through consul before my ban was out and before my 180 days was finished maybe thats the reason they rejected me but i tought you can apply before while you have entry ban.

Hope someone can help me.