Kusadasi or Bodrum?

Hey everyone!

I've never been to Kusadasi or Bodrum but i like the look and sound of them both. I'm getting abit ahead of myself, a good friend and me have been doing lots of research about going for just about 2 months next year. I'm starting to jot down some things on what we should do during our stay there and thats how i found this website. I'm still trying to decide where to go Bodrum or Kusadasi or half and half?? what do you suggest?

BB

I don't think you could go wrong with doing half and half. At least then you can experience both places and get the chance to do things in the other place that another might not have :)

Half and half sounds like the way to go but Kusadasi is much cheaper than Bodrum we went there for a break last week and we found the prices higher than Kusadasi, something to keep in mind.

Fleur

Connoisseur
Kusadasi is typically Turkish and a working town.
Bodrum on the other hand is not typically Turkish, although very nice (much nicer years ago), you could be in Spain or Portugal as it has a more western mediterrean feel.
I am sure many will disagree with my opinion, but this is my input.

sas

The Kusadasi Tiger
this is a kusadasi forum so everyone is kusadasi fans
i have never been to bodrum but several friends have and all had good things to say about the place
since i am now into double figures of holidays to kusadasi i would say kusadasi as it suits me for what i want from a holiday
steve

kusadasi is the place to be but what i would suggest if u want to do half and half is do kusadasi and gumbet it is much nicer than bodrum and between kusadasi and gumbet you would deffinatly have an amazing time hope this helps

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Kusadasi and Bodrum are very different and I love Bodrum, It's very picturesque with a view of white-washed houses and beautiful cascading Bougainvillea, but most people I know prefer Kusadasi.

I will try and compare Bodrum and in Kusadasi in some areas for you...(Seeing as this is a forum about Kusadasi, I have added related Kusadasi links to threads that will give you an idea of what it's like...)

Nightlife:
There's no denying the Bodrum nightlife is great, they have a Bar Street that runs along the sea front (expensive, but much nicer than Kusadasi Bar Street) with bars pumping different tunes, you have 2 of the most famous clubs in Turkey - Halikarnas and Catamaran, you also have bars and beach bars scattered around the town. The resort of Gumbet is 10 minutes away from Kusadasi, hate the place, but it's basically made up of 2-3 streets full of bars and restaurants.

The Kusadasi nightlife is varied - You have Bar Street which is full of faux Irish bars, but they are alot of fun and good for a night out, they don't close until around 4-5am, and during high season they are packed.

Then there's Kaleici which is the old town. It's full of narrow streets with bars hidden everywhere, it's much cheaper to drink here than on Bar Street.

Ladies Beach is like a resort in itself, there's lots of bars/restaurants along the promenade.

In the Ege Port shopping center you have Biraver bar which is very popular with people, and along the Marina road you have nice restaurants and bars such as Dejazar Wine Bar.

Beaches:
There is one ''beach'' in Bodrum..it is not sandy and gets very full. You'd need to jump on the dolmus to nearby areas such as Bitez and Gumbet to find sandy beaches.

Kusadasi has loads of beaches. So you'll be spoilt for choice. Ladies Beach, Long Beach, Kustur Beach, Green beach, downtown beach...the list is endless and they are all reachable on a dolmus/walking depending on where you're staying. There's also a National Park located at Guzelcamli which hosts some of the best beaches in the area, it's definitely worth the journey there on the dolmus. The sea is crystal clear and it's a very beautiful area. On the way there is also a cave with natural mineral water where you can swim (it's freeezing though!)

Related Threads:
Kusadasi Beache pictures
The National Park
The Cave of Zeus

Waterparks:
Bodrum has one small waterpark, near Gumbet but Kusadasi has 3. Two of which are huge and very popular with all ages. They make for a nice day out, and at Adaland you can swim with the dolphins.

Related Threads:
Aqua Fantasy Waterpark
Adaland Waterpark

Restaurants:
Bodrum has lots of nice restaurants, especially down near the beautiful Marina but I feel there's a lot more choice in Kusadasi. Planet Yucca and Saray are the most popular tourist places, their menu's serve a wide range of food. There's live music at Planet Yucca, and lots of dancing at the Saray. Dejazar Wine Bar near Kusadasi Marina and lots of Turkish restaurants around the town that are much cheaper if you're on a budget.

Related Threads:
Eating out in Kusadasi
Tourist Restaurants
Turkish Restaurants
Ladies Beach Restaurants

Excursions:
There are the same sort of excursions in both resorts - jeep safari, Pamukkale,
Horse riding, Turkish night, Turkish bath's, boat trips, Pamukkale....
In Bodrum you have the Castle of St Peter museum with great sea views, an interesting Byzantine shipwreck hall and spooky dungeons. In Kusadasi you have Ephesus, Selcuk, Sirince and The National Park.

Related Threads:
Best Exursions
Jeep Sarai
Horse Safari
Boat Trip
Sirince Village
Turkish Night
Turkish Bath
Pamukkale
Ephesus

Shopping:
Bodrum has a weekly market and lots of shops tourist and upmarket shops scattered around the town, there's also a shopping center called Oasis which has a good choice of shops. My favourite shops in Bodrum sells the most beautiful fish figured ceramics, glass and oil paintings. It's definately worth checking out as they do some lovely presents to take home with you. :)

More Info:Fish Painter of Bodrum

In Kusadasi you have the Wednesday Market, that sells clothes and handbags and other textiles. Then in Selcuk (a town 20 minutes away) you have a market on a Saturday which is well worth going to. You have the tourist shops, as well as the upmarket designer stores located near the Port. There's also a shopping outlet just outside Kusadasi called Flora and in Soke which you can get to on a dolmus.