What did you cook tonight?

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
Wıth the rıse ın meat prıces are you stıll buyıng ıt or fındıng alternatıves?Tonıght ı cooked made home made koftes wıth chıps and salata and had a bıt of pılau as well-ı bought some leeks to do a leek and potato soup-nıce to have somethıng on the stove ın the cold weather kıb

zeytin

Connoisseur
When the weathers like this, i love doing stews, thick soups and casseroles and it also warms the house up without having the aircon on:)
Tonight i did a roasties, carrots, broccolli and gravy and used up my last 2 asdas mince beef and onion pies:D
We mostly eat chicken, and a kilo of mince does 4 meals for us, i make say, faggots/ meatballs (mince, chopped onion and some paxo stuffing) with thick onion gravy, spag bol, chilli, and maybe a small stew, i,m not a meat lover, so hubby gets most of it:)
Have u tried making quiche,s? very cheap, pkt ham from bim, sliced, half small carton beyaz peynir, onion,(sweated) 2 eggs and just ubder half pint milk, either make your own pastry or use puff pastry ready bought.
Or, cheese and spinach, same ingrediens but without ham. You can use whatever you fancy really.

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
I can remember as a kıd beıng sent to the local butchers wıth a bıg puddıng basın and he would fıll ıt wıth savoury ducks and gravy--sımılar to faggots ı suppose-you just brought ıt all back wıth your mentıon of faggots zeytın. The quıche sounds a good ıdea-ı love cheese-ı used to love the cheese pıe at school dınners.My nan used to do a bıg pan of steak and kıdney and onıon every saturday nıght ın the wınter- we used to have ıt wıth chıps or mash and the gravy was lovely-ı loved saturdays lol.cant beat comfort food-proper tackle!! kıb

AlanK

Connoisseur
Who you kidding?

jake 51;248102 said:
..same here Kib remember as a kid my mom used to give me 50p to go and get milk,sugar bread ,prime steak ,20 fags , a bottle of whiskey....dam these CCTV cameras now...:(
50p Jake?
Surely you mean ten bob!!

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
I used to go wıth my mum on a saturday mornıng-we got quıte a few carrıer bags full for a fıver-a leg of lamb was 10 bob.-old money-who remembers florıns? kıb

memory lane.... we got sent to co-op and put the "messages" on the slate, we had milk tokens to cash in, lemonade bottles and your mum would pay it all off on pay day.

We also had what my mum described as "big Aggies wee man" who when we were older we discovered was the "tick man" or the man from the provi. If my dad hadn't been paid we all hid behind the sofa and pretended we weren't in when he arrived to collect his payment. we may have been skint but we were always well fed, definetly happier and healthier than kids nowadays.

..good old memories of scotland Waverley..it was the provy man we had to worry about on a friday night ..we all had to keep quite in the house till he went away..(pretty hard in a single end) :woohoo:

zeytin

Connoisseur
Wednesday was the poorer day in our house, money had run out by then, so it was round to the corner shop to get 2 packets of batchelores pea soup on tick, for 6 of us, and mum would put a loaf of bread in the middle of the table:D
Thursday was pay day, so sometimes we had a cake, But you can guarantee there was a fight for the chocolate eclair or the custard slice, i usually ended up with a butterfly custardy thing, and i hated them, cant understand why she didnt just get 6 eclairs:D

zeytin

Connoisseur
Just to make all you meat lovers mad:) topside of beef is £4 a kilo (10 lira) at the mo in Tesco:doh: Does anyone know the reason why the prices of meat are so high here?

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
zeytin;248164 said:
Just to make all you meat lovers mad:) topside of beef is £4 a kilo (10 lira) at the mo in Tesco:doh: Does anyone know the reason why the prices of meat are so high here?

I take it the topside is on offer then Zeytin ;) Almost impossible these days to see red meat at that price. Will go and see if my local Tesco has any :p

zeytin

Connoisseur
mmmmmmm, i can smell it, roast beef with crispy ends, yorkshire pu, lashing of thick bisto gravy, and horseradish and mint sauce mmmmmmm. I put mint sauce on every meat and gravy dish:D

zeytin;248176 said:
mmmmmmm, i can smell it, roast beef with crispy ends, yorkshire pu, lashing of thick bisto gravy, and horseradish and mint sauce mmmmmmm. I put mint sauce on every meat and gravy dish:D
Take it you're in the uk at the mo Zeytin!!! .. Can u get a few kilos for all us back here,Also go to Morrisons & get some choclate oranges buy 1 get 2 free,Couldn't have a offer like that why i was there:mad:

zeytin

Connoisseur
No Betty, i,m still here, just dreaming:D True about the beef being £4 a kilo in tesco though, must be a special offer for xmas. I,d love to know why its so expensive here though?? any clues:)

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
It's not bad if you've only to feed 2...as Zeytin said 1kg of meat does them for 2 or 3 meals. When you've to feed 5 like I have, it's hard to buy 1kg of red meat for each evening's meal.

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
Ally-thats true-ım from a famıly of sıx-ım only cookıng for me now and ı thought the meat was expensıve ın uk never mınd here.Thats a good ıdea of stevecruse-a nıce meat and potato pıe wıth plenty of crust on ıt-mıght do that tomorrow, By the way do they have rhubarb ın turkey? kıb

Rhona

Kusadasi Queen
Tonight I cooked (ok opened) 2 packs of weight watchers crisps : )
Was out for Xmas lunch with work and am still really full : )