Cigarettes at duty free

Im after reading the topic that cigarettes have gone up in Turkey, does this mean they also increase at the duty free shop in the airport. ive been told this is the cheapest place to buy and i suppose it still would be cheaper than they are here. any ideas on the prices now for say a carton? and whats the cig allowance back into great britain. Cheers all

joy

Sweet Yorkshire Rose
Its still only 200 cigs into UK and yes they will have gone up at duty free.
When coming into Turkey you can buy 600 at the airport to bring in but only 200 out.

Theres a thread on the forum re new prices and for the various brands if you do a search you will find it.
Sorry havent mastered the putting the link on yet.

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
If you can smoke turkish cigs they are a lot cheaper about 4-25lira per packet---if you want to roll your own, tobacco is sold loose on the markets and starts at 20lira per kilo then 30lira and finally 40 lira per kilo for the best one--they have several choices of all the prices- try before you buy. Cigarette papers are expensive here about 4 lira per pack.You can buy a plastic machine that takes ready made filter tubes these come in a box of 200 for 3lira per box--yu load the machine with a bit of loose tobacco then insert the empty cig tube and hey presto slide the lid and it fills the paper tube with your tobacco and a filter is allready on the end. kib

Steve B

Connoisseur
If the prices shown at Izmir Airport Duty Free are correct, then it is cheaper then the main street price. A carton of Marlboro is 70 TL in the stores or if bought as 10 packs. The duty free price given is 54.73 TL when the Euro is converted to TL.

Thanks folks so if i buy 600 when flying in and when flying out put them in my suitcase and buy another 200 more, do they search your suitcase or will i get away with that?

I guess you can take the risk, most they will do for a small amount is confiscate them. If you are coming with other adults you could share them amongst yourselves OR make friends of non smokers while you are here on holiday and they can bring them in for you providing you are on the same flight. :eek:

Be careful, we got stopped going home 2 years ago with 800 in our suitcases we had them confiscated and got warning with a letter saying if we do it again there will be a big fine!! I suppose you can plead ignorance and say you though it was 400 each your allowed, but they will still take them of you.. This was Gatwick airport we got stopped at...
Bob and Deb

I too got stopped at Gatwick airport and had 800 taken from me and issued with a warning. I was realy annoyed as 200 of them was what i bought from duty free in England on my way out to Kus but they still took them. They did give me the opportunity of paying the tax on them but it was far to hight.

Rhona

Kusadasi Queen
alycey;254755 said:
I too got stopped at Gatwick airport and had 800 taken from me and issued with a warning. I was realy annoyed as 200 of them was what i bought from duty free in England on my way out to Kus but they still took them. They did give me the opportunity of paying the tax on them but it was far to hight.
Isn't the tax you would pay bringing the price in line with what you would have paid in the UK?

Isn't the tax you would pay bringing the price in line with what you would have paid in the UK?
Normally yes it would, but customs include a fine for attempted smuggling when you did not declare your goods on arrival!

We bought cigarettes back for a friend of ours they were 19 euro for one carton that means its 40 turkish lira for a carton at the airport that would be 52 turkish lira in the shops, they had a deal 36 euro for two cartons which is very good and much cheaper than the uk.

joy

Sweet Yorkshire Rose
Its not worth trying to take more than your allowance, for one they scan your luggage on arrival at the airport and if they see extra you will be stopped.
I know because we had extra cartons, but they where legal as bought in Greece so you are allowed 600...keep purchase receipts.
Also when you show your boarding card to purchase your duty free, the card is electronically scanned with your arrival airport and what you have purchased !!!!so customs already know who is arriving with more than they should.
Well this is what I have seen on a tv program!!!!

For those of you in Ireland the Lira coin fits the cigarette machine as a 2euro so at home you can get your 20 pk in a vending machine for 4lira 50cents. No need to worry about customs. Bring plenty of lira coins home :)

Rhona

Kusadasi Queen
cathal h;260772 said:
For those of you in Ireland the Lira coin fits the cigarette machine as a 2euro so at home you can get your 20 pk in a vending machine for 4lira 50cents. No need to worry about customs. Bring plenty of lira coins home :)
Not that I would condone this behaviour (ha ha) I wish I was coming to Ireland on holiday with my lira :D

Rhona

Kusadasi Queen
Can anyone find a link for Samos duty free? Im just wondering if it would be worth sailing over for the day to get duty free fags, went last year and didnt even think about duty free allowances?

Paul H;254579 said:
Thanks folks so if i buy 600 when flying in and when flying out put them in my suitcase and buy another 200 more, do they search your suitcase or will i get away with that?

You wil get away with it.. I have been doing so for the last 5 years:D:D:D:D:D

Helen Davis;260881 said:
You wil get away with it.. I have been doing so for the last 5 years:D:D:D:D:D
You can't guarantee that Helen, everyone risks being stopped. Friends of ours were doing it for seven years, approx. three times a year and suddenly out of the blue, they were stopped last year and all taken from them... Their names were taken so they can't risk it again...... Just for all to be aware it can happen at any time..... Decide if it is worth taking the risk for you....Only take what you can afford to lose, like any gamble...

Iam Irish.
Was Flying back From Liverpool to Dublin Just before Christmas and Customs In Dublin Pulled me In and Searched my Bag(WHY LIKE!!!) So Would not risk it from a Non Eu