Brits are worst-dressed tourists in Europe

The unwelcome award comes despite 36 per cent of Britons admitting they dress more adventurously while on a break, a survey by the TripAdvisor company found.

The next worst-dressed foreign tourists were the Germans and the Americans, with the survey of 2,717 European travellers, including 732 Britons, showing the Italians to be the best-dressed holidaymakers.

The poll also found:

:: 28 per cent of holidaying Britons check their work emails at least twice a day, while the French are the worst at being unable to stop checking emails while away;

:: 93 per cent of Britons make at least some effort to speak the local language while on holiday, but 20 per cent of French travellers say they make no attempt at foreign tongues;

:: 76 per cent of Britons plan to take a summer holiday this year, with 11 per cent not taking one and 11 per cent undecided;

:: 22 per cent plan to spend less on a summer break this year than last, but 20 per cent reckon they will splash out more;

:: 37 per cent of Britons plan to spend more than £1,000 per person and an extravagant 6 per cent will be spending over £3,000 per person on a summer break;

:: 15 per cent say concern over the volcanic ash problem has influenced their summer holiday plans.

A TripAdvisor spokeswoman said: ''It's been a tough two years for the travel industry but it seems we have turned a cautious corner.

''Despite airline strikes, an uncertain economy and an erupting volcano, it's reassuring to see British travellers recognising the importance of a summer holiday again.''

Its true you can spot a British tourist a mile off, T-shirts, beach shorts and flip-flops and bikinis anywhere,and some call that dressing up, and beer bellies revealing crude tattoos. Stereotyping here but what the heck:D

Fleur

Connoisseur
It doesn't surprise me either and I hate to see men walking around with no shirt or T shirt.

The shell suit still seems to be the most popular apparel on the flight over.

I love the Italian style, a lot of Brits seem to have given up.

Why do some Brits and Irish :) think it's acceptable to wear a bikini top walking down the main shopping street? And men wearing only shorts! If there was similar weather in London would they wear such walking through Oxford St?

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
lorim;273568 said:
Why do some Brits and Irish :) think it's acceptable to wear a bikini top walking down the main shopping street? And men wearing only shorts! If there was similar weather in London would they wear such walking through Oxford St?

And through the market!!!:busted:

In the city centre in Glasgow you do see some beautiful clasically dressed girls/women.

Most of my friends take great pride in their appearance, especially when on holiday..and also show

a great sense of style. Must say I've never seen so many tackily dressed females(tourists) anywhere,as I

have seen in Kuşadası....I also think the Italians are very chic..and the French.

You can spot an American from a mile off too they all have bumbags or fanny packs as they call them, so wrong.:D and think that wearing white socks with Jesus sandals is an acceptable.:p

I've always wondered why the Americans you see wandering around in Kusadasi look nothing like the Sex and the City girls wondering around in New York or Abu Dabi :p

:cool:
jasmina;273656 said:
I've always wondered why the Americans you see wandering around in Kusadasi look nothing like the Sex and the City girls wondering around in New York or Abu Dabi :p
My two cents- no one who has been to Europe in the last decade would ever suggest that on the whole Europeans dress "better" than Americans, unless they compare a runway in Milan to a rural farming community in the States, perhaps. Then again hasty conclusions could be drawn by comparing a chic New Yorker with a rural Italian Farmers wife. Being a tourist, much less an American is nothing to be ashamed about. Then again, New York is not like the rest of America in several ways. We do not wear shorts. We do wear khaki knee length shorts (guys) and capri pants (women) but we absolutely do not wear what they call shorts in the rest of America. We wear lot's of whites during the summer as it is cool and works everywhere. We do not wear socks with sandals.
We get our fair share of tourists in New York looking like disgusting slobs. Do we pick on them? No, we are usually cordial and helpful and it's usually that way in Europe.
Good grief...as long as a person is neat, clean and dressed decently, we never have any issues. But then again, I would'nt worry if my favorite shoes are my white sneakers--they are the most comfortable. That really matters when I need to walk on my travels.:cool:

riz you was doing ok until you mentioned white sneakers lol....depends on what you think....usa vs uk fashion is like chalk and cheese cant compare at all

although i prefer our gear but that because i am not from america.......

tell you what though anyone caught red handed walking with white socks and sandals should be shot dead on the spot no questions asked lol

Tony- my point was it is not so much the clothes you are wearing as it is the way you act. I don't personally wear white sneakers. But if one wears it to be comfortable, that's their choice and I have no problem with that. The entire world travels as tourists to experience different cultures and as long as you are modest in dress, smile and appreciate the native people and their customs, you are welcomed and sometimes make lifelong friends.

and think that wearing white socks with Jesus sandals is an acceptable.
It's the newest fashion trend, called geek chic!
St.Laurent and Prada among other fashion designers show it on the cat walk, David Beckham has been spotted wearing s&s (socks and sandals)!
What's not acceptable in my opinion is beachwear in town, you just don't stroll through Kusadasi in your bikini ...as I've seen many brits do!
Some turkish resorts introduced a special sign saying "no beachwear in town", it's a shame they had to do so!

riz;273669 said:
Tony- my point was it is not so much the clothes you are wearing as it is the way you act. I don't personally wear white sneakers. But if one wears it to be comfortable, that's their choice and I have no problem with that. The entire world travels as tourists to experience different cultures and as long as you are modest in dress, smile and appreciate the native people and their customs, you are welcomed and sometimes make lifelong friends.
Good post;)

zeytin

Connoisseur
Ive seen pretty terribly dressed holidaymakers from all differant nationalities not just the Brits, as long as they dont walk around half naked, drunk as skunks and swearing, what they wear is immaterial, theyre on holiday after all:)