The dark side of Kusadasi

The last few years I have discovered what I would call the dark side of Kusadasi. For many years I had gone to Kusadasi without any kind of negative experience. Kusadasi is the town that made me fall in love with Turkey, a true feeling of "coming home".

The last few years something has changed though. There were certain streets and bars that I had always avoided. I had never put a foot in barstreet. The street paralel to barstreet had certain bars that I avoided like a rash, I don't need to name them I guess. They had guys standing up front that were a bit too charming, that were flirting just a bit too much. However, one of my closest friends started to work in one of these bars. After years of working in a charming family restaurant, he started to work in a place that I would call "wrong"... But hey, he was my friend, so I became a regular.
And I slowly got to see a side of Kusadasi that I didn't like. I saw up close and personal the guys who were almost selling their bodies for money. The stereotypical tourist-worker at it's best. But I also saw lazy expats drinking all day, and sleeping around. I saw women who made it a sport to break up couples. Other regular tourist that would spend a whole year one forums lying and gossipping, and then slutting it up all summer. It was an ugly ugly side. What shocked me the most was how many people were part of this! It seemed nobody said to their friends "hey, what the heck do you think you're doing?!"

All of this has made me a bit tired of Kusadasi. I will come back some day. However, this year I didn't even bother to arrange my work so I could go to Kusadasi for a few months. My friend has changed by working in these kind of places for a couple of years and has done something that shocked me. It has hurt me deeply. For some strange reason I had also become the topic of one of the gossips. I didn't even realise this until recently... I got a lot of dirty looks last summer, but since I spend no time on gossip-forums I didn't know people were talking about me. I keep my nose clean, so why would they? However, recently somebody told me they had "heard of me"... another big shock.

I was wondering how you all feel about this dark side. Have you been able to avoid it, if yes, how? Or do you also get irritated by the people who make Kusadasi into some kind of lie-sex-money fest? I know I will avoid these kind of bars again, like I did before, and avoid certain people BIG time. I will trust my instincts again ;) But I still feel sometimes like Kusadasi is taking a bad turn. Is it just me, or is it getting worse? Young kids drinking, sex-tourism with ever older getting women, and ever younger getting boys. Opinions please :)

Fleur

Connoisseur
Yes, unfortunately Kuşadası does have a sleazy side, but I avoid Bar street and surrounding areas like the plague.

I prefer the port and the promenade.

I don't witness older women trying to date young men because as I said I don't go to those places, but I can understand how you feel. Sometimes it must be so embarrassing.

I remember how Ibiza used to be, I don't know if it is still like that because I haven't been for many years, but there you could always find quieter more pleasant areas to chill in the evening.

I have seen gigolo's openly advertising their prowess in Sorrento, Italy. This sort of behaviour goes on in all touristic resorts, as to whether it is getting worse, I do not know.

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
Like every holiday resort, Kusadasi has it's dark side too; it's only natural. Also it's not a new thing.
I very very rarely go to Bar St...infact I don't think I was there at all last year. As for the street that runs parallel, there are 3 bars in that street that I don't go to....I can't say won't because I have sat and had 1 beer in one of them quite recently. There are 2 bars next door to eachother, and from what I have seen over the years, this is the older woman/younger man playground.
As for Bar St, if you go with friends for a dance at the end of the night fair enough but it's not for anything else.

Jasmina, I think you were engaged to someone in Kusadasi isn't that right.

There are some bars in Kalieci that Take A Break would have a field day in!

From memory there are 5 bars in that street so its one thing Jasmina to not name them but on the other hand readers of this thread do not know which 3 of the 5 to avoid. I regularly see all manner of customers in all 5 bars families, couples, groups of women and groups of men and have never personally witness either women coming onto young Turkish men or vice versa.

Steve B

Connoisseur
Can't say about Bar St Jasmina, I have only ever walked down it once, and had to laugh, felt like I was in Dublin, lol. But truly, each place looked like a dive in the light of day, and the narrow street, with loud music pounding out of each place, not my cup of tea for sure. Have seen the young Turkish guy/older European women thing, we call them Cougars back in North America. Not such a pretty site, but that being said, we, the missus and I only pop into Kusadasi during the day, along the promenade, and pedestrian mall streets, or to go to Kipa. But we did enjoy a couple of festivals at night on the waterfront last season. I am sure that when you are ready, you will return to Kusadasi, to the things that first made you love the town and the country, just hope it isn't a long time! :)

Hubby and happily go into the adjacent street, but only drink in one bar where don't get ripped off they don't play loud music etc. However maybe immaturely we love sitting in Hanya and watch the carrying on of the guys who basically all prostitute themselves for business. (There is a difference of being welcomed in the normal Turkish way and the overbearing unwelcome of some of these guys which I have to call Prostitution).

Yes I also see the cougars, who have even to my husband's amusement have tried to push themselves on him even when I was there! Sorry this had made me laugh loads and my hubby was not amused. I have also written were the sleazy one's see me as fair bait, when I have been out with my son obviously thinking I was up for it. Thank goodness more and more now know me more as a regular now and know me for who I am.

Jasmina this is nothing new, it took me a while to actually open my eyes and see this so now we just view these going on as amusement on a night out.

A good member here's hubby said to us he would not precure business to get people into their establishment by acting in this way. Maybe that is why we like to stop for a drink hassle free, as often as we can.

However what can I say as at home would we go to places like this. As many times we have said here a lot people leave there brains at home when they get on the flight.

Also as younger men, come to work in these bars they think this is the exceptable norm.

I had a period of doubt about Turkish hospitality. I have defended Turkey against so many racist people. To find out how I was being treated by some Turkish people was shocking, but to find out that a lot of people are aware of it and keep their mouths shut is even more shocking. If I see a person being ripped off or lied to in any other way I say something about it. I can't keep my big mouth shut ;)

I have always avoided these kind of people and places. So perhaps because I thought I was helping a friend by changing my "scene" I have seen something that was always there. I don't know... I guess there was always a bit of gigolo work going on, and hassling and such. But what I have seen lately was such a shocker. Complete lives being distroyed, people bringing children into these kind of messes. It feels like people are messing up "my" Kusadasi ;) I have enjoyed going there for many years and have recommended it to people for many years. But this last year I haven't... It's strange that a town can grow inside your heart. It's like my little piece of paradise is being messed up by greedy boys and sad lonely women.

The barstreet is dodgy. I have been there 3 times in my entire live, and haven't enjoyed it one time. The reason I'm not naming the bars in the other street is simple. It will make this forum into something that is part of that "dark side" (sounding a bit star wars there :p). Into some sort of gossip party. I enjoy this forum very much, since it stays well clear of gossip and bad stuff. We only warn eachother of dodgy practices and real rip offs. I really wouldn't want to mess up the friendly nature of this forum, which reminds me of the true heart of Kusadasi.

Five bars on that other street Anatolia, Regatta, Mamma Mias, Karagoz and Brothers.

Karagoz only opened this year so that just leaves 4. Its common knowledge that I have an interest in one of the remaining and my partners are both married to foreign women. So if it isnt the one im involved in you dont need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out the 3 bars.

If it is the one I am involved in please PM me as yes we are a tourist bar but one that I hope all the family can go in.

I will just add this its human nature to trust and for some its their nature to take advantage of this trust, and more often than not the messenger of bad news gets shot and loses a friend if they voice their opinion about others choice of friends, you can only gently warn people and then be there to pick up the pieces, this will be why people dont scream warnings all over the place.

It is also dangerous to bad mouth Turkish men as 2 women i know of ended up getting a beating off one Turkish guy for bad mouthing him, nothing is ever black and white.

In all the years I have been going to Kuşadası I have only ever walked down bar street once, and once was enough to let me see it for it was...a dive! If people want to frequent bar street, and the establishments that are near by, it's there choice, and I'm sure many of the tourists and expats who go there, are decent people who are just looking for a place to have a meal, a nights enjoyment and to meet up with some of their friends, even though I could think of better places for them to go to be entertained. I very rarely go into Centrum in the evenings, except to maybe a restaurant at the sea front for a meal, or to meet up with some of my friends for a drink, and a chat. I prefer Ladies Beach, and even there I only eat at 2 restaurants where I have known the owners and their families for years, and sometimes I'm invited to join them and their families for a meal in the evenings, especially during the holy month of Ramazan, and on Şeker Bayram. I stayed at the one of the hotels at the sea front 2 years ago, but always headed into Ladies Beach in the evenings, but even there we have seen things which would shock you, regarding the older women with much younger men, and workers in tourism with a different girlfriend every fortnight.A lot of our friends are Turkish, male and female, and the biggest majority of them are ex neighbours of my sister's. Some of what goes on in the seedy sıde of Kuşadası has been going on for many years, and is no different from any popular holiday destination around the world. You just have to try and use your sixth sense when making choices that would be appropriate for you. I hope your experience has not completely shattered your view of this beautiful town, and that you will return one day..good luck, health, and may you find happiness.

Jasmina thats a shame that you wont go this year, dont you have a Turkish boyfriend? that is what i understood from reading your posts, is that the friend you are talking about?:huh:I think every resort is seedy and has a bad side, just look at Lloret de mar, Costa del sol, Magaluf and Benidorm all prime examples of what tourism can do to a nice seaside town. When i was 16 i went to lloret de mar with my mum and dad and i saw some sights that i will never forget. Bar Street is the seedy side of kusadasi, you cant trust anyone that works there but make of it what you will. If you go there with your legs open then you get what you deserve but i have had lots of good nights there where me and my friend have danced and laughed and the only thing wrong was the price of the drinks:p Kusadasi has more to it than that side of things and there are so many quality bars and restaurants that make the good side outweigh the dark side and i cant see myself going anywhere else on holiday for awhile yet.:)

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
No the darker side is nothing new, each to their own I say.
Though I remember the good ole days of bar street, when it was a family place with the variety of bars and restaurants. Like all places though, times change and new hotspots arrive.. you just need to look for it.

The beauty of Kusadasi is the variety though, there is something for everyone.

Its a shame Jasmina that you feel you have lost your love for Kusadasi.. hope you get it back.:)

Been in bar street for the first time last year, just passed by and don't plan to visit it again. So whatever happen there don't bother me, meaning for me Kusadasi is still wondefull. You can't like every places and every people in the whole world Jasmina. I still find that Kusadasi is a much nicer than average place and that's also true of the people living there. If there is two streets you do no like, avoid them and that's it. Why are you including the whole Kusadasi in your dislike? Why not the whole of Turkey? Or the whole Asian continent? Or this whole planet?
I believe you had a bad experience and are disappointed at the moment. It's ok to take a break to sort this out. But don't blame the whole town, this could have happened anywhere and you know it deep inside you.
And don't forget, everything that don't kill you make your stronger. Take care.

hi, one of the first things you see a lot of in kuss is good looking boys tukish , with big not to good looking girls, you now the score , turish boys no lira tourists plenty and thay spank there hands to gether when the girl goes home,,job done and the turkish family very happy, saying, good my boys got a irish girl,, a bit like puket, but the other way round

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
vidigav;276782 said:
Five bars on that other street Anatolia, Regatta, Mamma Mias, Karagoz and Brothers.

Karagoz only opened this year so that just leaves 4. Its common knowledge that I have an interest in one of the remaining and my partners are both married to foreign women. So if it isnt the one im involved in you dont need to be Sherlock Holmes to work out the 3 bars.

If it is the one I am involved in please PM me as yes we are a tourist bar but one that I hope all the family can go in.

Gavin, I was talking about the 2 who are next door to eachother. The 3rd is at the opposite end of the street from Brothers.
Karagoz has been there for quite a few years but management has changed this year.

Patricia, I love sitting at Hanya as well... It's a prime spot to sit and watch all what's going on around you :cool:

ally;276880 said:
Gavin, I was talking about the 2 who are next door to eachother. The 3rd is at the opposite end of the street from Brothers.
Karagoz has been there for quite a few years but management has changed this year.

Patricia, I love sitting at Hanya as well... It's a prime spot to sit and watch all what's going on around you :cool:
Weren't referring to your post Ally.:D

I had an idea what 3 Jasmina was referring to, but for those who don't know the area so well they may not go into any of the bars incase the bar was one of the notorious 3.

Just a few points

Steve B;276764 said:
Can't say about Bar St Jasmina, I have only ever walked down it once, and had to laugh, felt like I was in Dublin, lol. But truly, each place looked like a dive in the light of day
Emm Steve dont know if you have ever even been in dublin, after saying that i am assuming not, bar street in kusadasi isnt remotely like dublin or anwhere else in ireland for that matter.

Queen B;276810 said:
Bar Street is the seedy side of kusadasi, you cant trust anyone that works there but make of it what you will. If you go there with your legs open then you get what you deserve but i have had lots of good nights there where me and my friend have danced and laughed and the only thing wrong was the price of the drinks:p
Spot on Queen B me & my friends were in bar street last year & just had a great laugh & a dance & made new friends (irish, english & turkish) yes there was lots of tramps around the place BUT not veryone or even most people that go to barstreet are like that me & my friends certainly werent.

bazz;276850 said:
hi, one of the first things you see a lot of in kuss is good looking boys tukish , with big not to good looking girls, when the girl goes home,,job done and the turkish family very happy, saying, good my boys got a irish girl,, a bit like puket, but the other way round
Bazz how rude so basically Irish girls are all fat ugly slappers. Why did u just mention irish girls there i didnt know that irish people were the only nationally to go to kusadasi bloody cheek!!!!!

Jasmina ive been badly let down in the past by susposedly "good" friends at home & i know how hurtful it is but dont let them put you off going somewhere that u loved going so much. Go back with your head held high & let them gossip you know yourself that its untrue & in the end thats all that really matters :) Hope u feel better soon