Private school Kusadasi

Hi Ally. just been looking at an old posting of your about the private school your children attended/attending. We are planning next Sept for our son to attend school in Kushadasi. He will be 8 then. We currently plan for him to attend at least for the year to improve his Turkish. Are your children still attending and can you still give some positive feedback about the school? We have our own property in Guzelcamli so we would have to do a school run, but that wouldn't be a problem. Regards.

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
Hi Mandie.

No our children left the private school 2 years ago and now go to state secondary schools.
The school provides transport...they might even go to Guzelcamli as I know they go to Soke; it's a door to door service.

zeytin

Connoisseur
A friend of ours came here to guzelcamli with an 8/9 year old little girl and she went to the state school here in guz, there was only 2 english children in the school, she is now 12 years old and is fluent in turkish as is the othere child, and she has been since the first year. God! wish i could go:)

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
My 3 were all at the private for the first year, I wasnt impressed with it and withdrew them after the year was up.

The 2 youngest are now at state schools and are doing very very well there and love it..

zeytin;290434 said:
A friend of ours came here to guzelcamli with an 8/9 year old little girl and she went to the state school here in guz, there was only 2 english children in the school, she is now 12 years old and is fluent in turkish as is the othere child, and she has been since the first year. God! wish i could go:)
Bless you, I could do with going along with him myself as well!! Do you think they would notice me in the back of the class room??:huh:

Thanks all for your input. Still can't decide what to do, but on the other hand still have plenty of time to look and sort! My head says throw him in. Hook, line and sinker, because he will be perfectly fine. My heart says protect !!

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
Mandie Yilmaz;290447 said:
Thanks Mavi for your input. Can you tell me what you were not happy with?:confused:

Mandie there were several things, the wee ones were in the creche, there was dog poop in the sand in the play area of the 3 big dogs the school has roaming around.

I felt my kids were kinda left on their own to their own devices in the class as the foreigners who didnt speak any turkish..

They said they would give the oldest one turkish 1-2-1 lessons instead of english which he didnt need... they done it twice then made excuses saying he didnt want to learn etc

The attitude of some of the teachers...

The bus run, on their first day my wee ones were one and half hours late home as the bus driver couldnt find our block.... we were frantic and out with friends scanning the area to see them whiz by in a dolmus standing up on the seats beside the wide open window...

The wee ones lost a bit of weight when they started, no one was monitoring what they were eating or what they werent.

Thats just a few things off the top of my head.:busted:

My son started school when he was the same age as your son. I deliberated for a long time what to do about his education then threw him in at the deep end. Although I sat outside the school for the first six weeks :eek: I also bought him a Disney book that had pictures with English & Turkish which he used in class (he was just listening and getting used to the dialect). He then had private lessons 1 hour three times a week. I felt he learnt Turkish quicker this way.

Mavi;290467 said:
Mandie there were several things, the wee ones were in the creche, there was dog poop in the sand in the play area of the 3 big dogs the school has roaming around.

I felt my kids were kinda left on their own to their own devices in the class as the foreigners who didnt speak any turkish..

They said they would give the oldest one turkish 1-2-1 lessons instead of english which he didnt need... they done it twice then made excuses saying he didnt want to learn etc

The attitude of some of the teachers...

The bus run, on their first day my wee ones were one and half hours late home as the bus driver couldnt find our block.... we were frantic and out with friends scanning the area to see them whiz by in a dolmus standing up on the seats beside the wide open window...

The wee ones lost a bit of weight when they started, no one was monitoring what they were eating or what they werent.

Thats just a few things off the top of my head.:busted:
Good God!! No wonder you had concerns and pulled them out. The school I'm looking at is U.Naci Akdogan Okullari. Mavi is this the same school your little ones attended?:(

You know ladies you are a god send.:D I have been really taken back by everybody's help on this matter. I guess i will still take a look at the school when I'm out next and Mavi, I will take on board everything you said. It seems everybody is not in great favour of the school very much and looking on old posts Ally seems to be the only one who was happy with the school. However if Ally's old posts were around 2005/2006. Maybe the school had a better rep then?:(

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
Mandie Yilmaz;290525 said:
Good God!! No wonder you had concerns and pulled them out. The school I'm looking at is U.Naci Akdogan Okullari. Mavi is this the same school your little ones attended?:(
Yes Mandie its the only private one in Kusadasi.
The hours are longer also there, and I dont see any better an education.

Not once did my big one bother about handing in assignments or homework, where as the young 2 at the state school have 2 hours worth every night.

Go and have a look, maybe they have taken onboard comments from parents.. Ally and I removed our kids the same year, as did other foreign parents.

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
When we moved back here in 2002 owned a house in Soke and we lived there for 3 years. The primary school was at the bottom of our street and seeing some of the children coming out of the gates, there is no way I'd have sent my kids there; especially as they didn't speak turkish at the time. One reason why we decided to send them to the private school in Kusadasi. The fact that they picked them up from house and brought them home again was a big bonus as for the first 10 months my husband was still in N.Ireland.
The idea of smaller classes appealed to us as they needed to learn the language quickly. At the start I was happy with the school....and as for homework, they had hours of it every evening. This changes when they go in to the "high school" section..as my oldest didn't bother much with homework then either.
I was going to remove them from that school earlier than I did....but their friends went there so didn't want to separate them....but have to say that the move to the state schools was fine; no problems whatsoever.
My biggest problem with the private school was that they seemed to concentrate more on the smart kids...especially the ones who came 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the country exams..and the national ones, as this gives the school a better status and more brownie points. There was definite favourism in the classes.

Fleur

Connoisseur
Also expect to fill in lots of paperwork, they even ask you your monthly income, which I think is outrageous, I always put NOYB and they ask Charlotte what is means!!

Fleur;290574 said:
Also expect to fill in lots of paperwork, they even ask you your monthly income, which I think is outrageous, I always put NOYB and they ask Charlotte what is means!!
NOYB - I like it!! will remember that one:cool:

ally;290555 said:
When we moved back here in 2002 owned a house in Soke and we lived there for 3 years. The primary school was at the bottom of our street and seeing some of the children coming out of the gates, there is no way I'd have sent my kids there; especially as they didn't speak turkish at the time. One reason why we decided to send them to the private school in Kusadasi. The fact that they picked them up from house and brought them home again was a big bonus as for the first 10 months my husband was still in N.Ireland.
The idea of smaller classes appealed to us as they needed to learn the language quickly. At the start I was happy with the school....and as for homework, they had hours of it every evening. This changes when they go in to the "high school" section..as my oldest didn't bother much with homework then either.
I was going to remove them from that school earlier than I did....but their friends went there so didn't want to separate them....but have to say that the move to the state schools was fine; no problems whatsoever.
My biggest problem with the private school was that they seemed to concentrate more on the smart kids...especially the ones who came 1st, 2nd or 3rd in the country exams..and the national ones, as this gives the school a better status and more brownie points. There was definite favourism in the classes.
Thanks Ally you have been a great help. The reason why I'm sending our son really is to promote a better understanding. I dont want to leave it to late into his teens and affecting secondary school. I'm only looking at a year probably and then he will return back here to continue his schooling. Plus the other bonus will be that I will get the year off myself:woohoo: I will take a look at the school next time I'm out and try and find some other British mothers (if any?) who's children are attending the same school.

ally;290555 said:

Ally all the above reasons you have quoted is why I am looking at a private school. My son's Turkish is ok but not brilliant by any means so maybe if I'm only looking at a year it could still be the better option. Might even get of my bum a bit and learn some more. :doh:

Hi All, I know this is an old post and perhaps none of you are still around...? Does anyone have any updates on schools in the area and suggestions... We are looking at moving out from the UK in the next year or 2. My thoughts are to home school the children and get private turkish lessons for all of us. Once they understand a bit of Turkish I would then look to enrol them into the local schools - has anyone done anything like this before? has it worked for you or proved impossible?

Hello all, I am a Turkish citizen living in Kuşadası since 2007 and I also have two kids of 6 and 4 years....Just like you all, I am also puzzled in finding a good school for them as the older one will start school next year...However, unfortunately, I cannot tell you that there are good private schools around in Kuşadası area...I am originally from İstanbul and I grew up in İzmir, in big cities, you can always find a different alternative, unfortunately, Kuşadası does not have many alternatives and I believe the best way would be to find a good state school and have private classes for your child and yourself as well if you do not know any Turkish...I am also planning to do something similar in the near future for my kids, of course letting them take classes in English and other foreign languages which suits us best:) I do speak English and German fluently and intermediate French and Spanish:) I am a sworn translator for English-German-Turkish languages:) Hope you all find the best in Kuşadası. I can tell that we love it so much we do not want to move anywhere else:)