Private school Kusadasi

Hi all, Iam moving to Kusadasi in Aug with my wife ( Turkish) and 2 children 10 and 6, I want to put them into the private school mentioned on this forum and was hoping that someone could tell how their children are doing if they are in this school please. My biggest concern is my childrens education and how they settle in with such a massive change in their lives. Any advice at this stage would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi, we came to live here 2 years ago and my eldest was 5 years old with a little Turkish. As a family my husband spoke to her in Turkish and me in English so she had a little understanding. I was very daunted by the prospect of my daughter starting a new school etc... We looked at the private school by big kipa and on inspection I was impressed. However due to starting a new business we didn't want to commit to the financial commitment?!? In the end she started a state school and she has never looked back!! She is doing really well and her Turkish took about 3 months to be fluent. She even goes on the rather rowdy service bus now!!! We have been lucky though her teacher is a wonderful man who is nice but strict. I have to say I'm really proud of her and I was really worried to begin with but they always surprise you with how well they adapt!!!

Hi Kursten
Thank you for your reply, Iam glad to hear that it has worked out for you, my wife and I are looking at Naci akdogan school in soke ( near Kipa). Like yourselves I am worried about the cost, however the school really impressed me, most people I have spoken with have advised against state school and its nice to read that your daughter adapted so well. Could you possibly tell me which school you have placed her in as this would be a great alternative should we decide against private school.
Again thank you for your advice.

Daren

Hi Darren,
My daughter, Azra is currently at Ibrahim zeki emgin illokulu. It's situated at the top of a huge hill to the left of the crazy roundabout in town, the one where they are building a huge flyover!! She is in her second year now and is 7 years old, most of her classmates are 1 or 2 years older. However she is quite mature for her age in comparison to her classmates, without sounding rude?!? I have to say her teacher is excellent and it amazes me the amount and complexity of some of their lessons and homework. She can read and speak fluently in both languages now but I do a bit of English reading with her on an evening to keep her English up to scratch. One of the big downsides is getting there as it's a crazy small busy road and with lots of traffic going to school, that's why we send her on a bus as it's safer! After summer this year she will be changing schools to our local one in Turkmen Mahallesi. My Turkish friends daughter attends there and they say it's very good like a European school, only letting nominated parents take the children one by one from class, instead of the mass exodus that I usually see! Lol. I was too very worried when we came here and I too loved that private school. But after a couple of months I changed my mind. It's amazing how resilient children are really?! If you have a daughter similar age to mine I'm sure they could meet up if this would help? It is a big change and the hardest thing my daughter found was how intrusive and loud her classmates were as it was a bit more full on than her other school, if you catch my drift? If there's anything else I can help you with just give us a shout?
Kirsten

Hi Darren,
My daughter, Azra is currently at Ibrahim zeki emgin illokulu. It's situated at the top of a huge hill to the left of the crazy roundabout in town, the one where they are building a huge flyover!! She is in her second year now and is 7 years old, most of her classmates are 1 or 2 years older. However she is quite mature for her age in comparison to her classmates, without sounding rude?!? I have to say her teacher is excellent and it amazes me the amount and complexity of some of their lessons and homework. She can read and speak fluently in both languages now but I do a bit of English reading with her on an evening to keep her English up to scratch. One of the big downsides is getting there as it's a crazy small busy road and with lots of traffic going to school, that's why we send her on a bus as it's safer! After summer this year she will be changing schools to our local one in Turkmen Mahallesi. My Turkish friends daughter attends there and they say it's very good like a European school, only letting nominated parents take the children one by one from class, instead of the mass exodus that I usually see! Lol. I was too very worried when we came here and I too loved that private school. But after a couple of months I changed my mind. It's amazing how resilient children are really?! If you have a daughter similar age to mine I'm sure they could meet up if this would help? It is a big change and the hardest thing my daughter found was how intrusive and loud her classmates were as it was a bit more full on than her other school, if you catch my drift? If there's anything else I can help you with just give us a shout?
Kirsten

Hi Darren,
Kirsten
Oops!

So I am trying to reopen this topic of private schools versus state schools as we have a 6 year old who will be starting school in either January or September. He doesn't speak Turkish but understands a bit. He is a year 1 in school in England. I am worried that if he goes to a state school he will feel really isolated and scared because of the language issue. I know he will learn quickly but it is that initial 6 months I am worried about as he is adamant he never wants to leave the UK and will never be happy in Turkey. Kids! Lol.

I am going to have a look at the new Amerikan Kultur Koleji in Soke but any advice anyone has is greatly appreciated. Kirsten, maybe we could get our kids together for a play? He is of course sad to leave his friends in the UK.

Quick background: I am half Turkish/American (speak conversational Turkish), my husband is Turkish but has been in England for 17 years. We recently sold our business and want to move to Turkey. My hubby is adamant the schools are better in Izmir and wants to live there (close to his mother). I argue I don't want the kids in a big city full time and Kusadasi is a good compromise (we had a flat there some years ago, when it was much smaller).

Hi kelebek

It is a worry when you decide to move to another country and I had the same reserves as you. My husband wanted to move to Izmir also but the sheer size of Izmir put me off and I decided on a more gradual intro to turkey. I also hear the schools are good in Izmir but I haven't been disappointed at all with state schooling. I too wanted to send to private school but we couldn't commit financially as we were setting up new home and business and I didn't want to pull her out if finances were a problem. I have an English friend here with 2 girls at the college in Soke and they are very happy there. However she only sends them there as it finishes later, 5pm so helps with child care while she works. I think she pays 12,000 tl for 2 children including service buses. But she said if she didn't work she would send to state as her children were happy there also. The state schools finish around 2.15pm and seem to have a lot of homework on an evening. You also pay for books, and paper and pencils etc.... I will be getting a list tommorow for the things she needs and then there are contributions to classroom items and cleaning items too.
My daughter is starting her new school tomoz as we have moved but my Turkish friends daughter goes there and it has good reports of being well fun and almost European in its rules and regulations. There are also other European children there and quite a few English speaking teachers. So we will see how she gets on?!?
I found I was more worried than I needed to be when we first came here and my daughter was a lot more resilient than I thought. She did start school with a neighbours child who she already knew so maybe this helped??
Obviously this is only my experience and depending on your finances and circumstances you will do what's best for you??
I am available to meet up if you do come to kusadasi and if you have any other queries I will be happy to try and help.
My background is... I'm a English lass from Yorkshire, was a manager for Marks and Spencer before I had my son. I'm married to a Turk and have been here nearly 3 years. The first year was hard but I love it here now. I am a stay at home mum and my Turkish is ok ish I understand more than I speak.
Good luck
Kirsten

Hi kelebek

It is a worry when you decide to move to another country and I had the same reserves as you. My husband wanted to move to Izmir also but the sheer size of Izmir put me off and I decided on a more gradual intro to turkey. I also hear the schools are good in Izmir but I haven't been disappointed at all with state schooling. I too wanted to send to private school but we couldn't commit financially as we were setting up new home and business and I didn't want to pull her out if finances were a problem. I have an English friend here with 2 girls at the college in Soke and they are very happy there. However she only sends them there as it finishes later, 5pm so helps with child care while she works. I think she pays 12,000 tl for 2 children including service buses. But she said if she didn't work she would send to state as her children were happy there also. The state schools finish around 2.15pm and seem to have a lot of homework on an evening. You also pay for books, and paper and pencils etc.... I will be getting a list tommorow for the things she needs and then there are contributions to classroom items and cleaning items too.
My daughter is starting her new school tomoz as we have moved but my Turkish friends daughter goes there and it has good reports of being well fun and almost European in its rules and regulations. There are also other European children there and quite a few English speaking teachers. So we will see how she gets on?!?
I found I was more worried than I needed to be when we first came here and my daughter was a lot more resilient than I thought. She did start school with a neighbours child who she already knew so maybe this helped??
Obviously this is only my experience and depending on your finances and circumstances you will do what's best for you??
I am available to meet up if you do come to kusadasi and if you have any other queries I will be happy to try and help.
My background is... I'm a English lass from Yorkshire, was a manager for Marks and Spencer before I had my son. I'm married to a Turk and have been here nearly 3 years. The first year was hard but I love it here now. I am a stay at home mum and my Turkish is ok ish I understand more than I speak.
Good luck
Kirsten

Hi Kirsten,
Thank you for your helpful reply!
We live in Yorkshire :) You are certainly not missing the cloud and fog we have been enveloped in for the last 5 days!
It is funny that the reason why your friend sends her kids to a private school is one of my main reasons for NOT wanting to send my son. I can't imagine him being happy with staying so late! It seems a bit full on. I am wondering if they stop lessons at something like 3pm and then do sport/after school activities for 2 hours? They can't certainly be in lessons all that time.
Which school is your daughter going to? If you don't want to say on here could you possibly email me on leylasensei@yahoo.com ? I would love to hear about which state schools are the best in the area...
Thanks again and enjoy the sun!
Leyla

Hi Leyla
To be honest with the amount of homework they get they might aswell stay till 5pm. I think that the private schools may have longer breaks in the day but I will ask my friend when I next see her what the daily program is like? My daughters school is Rahime Bilici. It's early days yet but my daughter seems to love it.
Kirsten

My daughter started in the Ege Koleji in Söke (6th class) last Monday. She doesn't know much Turkish (had some private lessons from July 7th till the end of August). I have never seen here so happy to go to or coming back from school as she is now. Lessons are 50% in Turkish, 50% in English exept for the 3rd language (German 2 hours/week). It's an International Thinking School and they work together with the Universities of Exeter and Oxford. There are more expat kids there (in her class 2 Scottish and a English student). If Turkish (or anything else) is to difficult for them, they teach them apart, if necessary one on one (one teacher, one student).

Thanks for your replies! My friend's son (who is 100% Turkish) has attended multiple private schools and has now ended up happily at their local school, Rahime Bilici. He has somewhat more special needs and the private schools didn't really want to deal with him.
Just looked at Ege's website and it looks great! I will definitely have a look round when we are out next month. That is 3 schools on the list :) Now to convince the hubby that Kusadasi is the way forward...

My daughter has been at her new school Rahime Bilici for 2 weeks now and she's loving it!! Can't be more than 12 students in her class and looking at the line up in the morning all the classes look small. The school is a lot calmer than her previous one and seems to be well run. Defo worth a look if you choose kusadasi. :):):)

My daughter has been at her new school Rahime Bilici for 2 weeks now and she's loving it!! Can't be more than 12 students in her class and looking at the line up in the morning all the classes look small. The school is a lot calmer than her previous one and seems to be well run. Defo worth a look if you choose kusadasi. :):):)

I will definitely be having a look at it. We are looking for flats in the Turkmen area so would be ideal really. I like the idea of my son walking to school versus having a long bus ride. I am only a bit worried that if he needs extra help because of his lack of Turkish that they might not be able to give him the attention he needs. I assume, although perhaps incorrectly, that private schools should have more help available. The class sizes are great! 12? Here in York the smallest class is 28 in my son's school!

I will definitely be having a look at it. We are looking for flats in the Turkmen area so would be ideal really. I like the idea of my son walking to school versus having a long bus ride. I am only a bit worried that if he needs extra help because of his lack of Turkish that they might not be able to give him the attention he needs. I assume, although perhaps incorrectly, that private schools should have more help available. The class sizes are great! 12? Here in York the smallest class is 28 in my son's school!
I live in Turkmen Mahallesi and love it... We moved here Xmas day and it's great you have everything on your doorstep. Shops, school, chemist, bakery and hairdressers. Only a short walk to town too. We live in a triplex villa now as apartment living wasn't my cup of tea. Love my new house!! :):):)

Hi Ally. just been looking at an old posting of your about the private school your children attended/attending. We are planning next Sept for our son to attend school in Kushadasi. He will be 8 then. We currently plan for him to attend at least for the year to improve his Turkish. Are your children still attending and can you still give some positive feedback about the school? We have our own property in Guzelcamli so we would have to do a school run, but that wouldn't be a problem. Regards.

Hi Mandy. I just read your old reply about english schools in Guzelcanlik. and see you are still active on this site.
I will be relocating there for 6 months from april next year. Looking for a rental for the duration in Guzelcamlik and exploring school options for my 16 year ld. Any advise form your experience doing the same ?
Thanks, Logan

I see a lot of discussion on the topic of education and schools in Turkey and it leads me to wonder - is this a long term change for most people? I am Turkish but did not grow up in Turkey. I would love to move there. I have family members who are teachers there, both in primary and senior high school levels, and they are very frustrated with the education system in Turkey, especially in the last few years. There seems to be so many fundamental differences with their system. I have been wondering about it for my own kids, who are young enough to adapt quickly, but ultimately I always come back to the same question - what happens at high school and beyond, what about university? So many youths are struggling in Turkey with issues related to their higher education and employment opportunities etc, I just wonder if anyone here is working through some of these issues as a "foreigner" living in Turkey. In 10 years, I don't want to be wondering "what was I thinking?".

Hi, myself and family are currently on holiday in Guzelcamli, looking around and researching properties, areas and schools. We have 2 girls age 4. My husband is turkish and im english. Were looking to move out next year as im pregnant with twins and want to have the babies in England. Am going to book a visit in with the private school while were here but thinking maybe state school would be best. I would love to hear any advice or information that anybody has. Also if anyone would like to meet up that has similar aged children i would love to pick your brains! We here for another week. Thanks

I live in Turkmen Mahallesi and love it... We moved here Xmas day and it's great you have everything on your doorstep. Shops, school, chemist, bakery and hairdressers. Only a short walk to town too. We live in a triplex villa now as apartment living wasn't my cup of tea. Love my new house!! :):):)
Hello Kirsten! I moved here from usa, I have a 9 year old who doesnt speak any turkish yet, how can I reach you? I am new to this forum website.. We are in a hotel looking for for a place to live and a school for my kids.. Thanks!

Hi Kirsten,
Thank you for your helpful reply!
We live in Yorkshire :) You are certainly not missing the cloud and fog we have been enveloped in for the last 5 days!
It is funny that the reason why your friend sends her kids to a private school is one of my main reasons for NOT wanting to send my son. I can't imagine him being happy with staying so late! It seems a bit full on. I am wondering if they stop lessons at something like 3pm and then do sport/after school activities for 2 hours? They can't certainly be in lessons all that time.
Which school is your daughter going to? If you don't want to say on here could you possibly email me on leylasensei@yahoo.com ? I would love to hear about which state schools are the best in the area...
Thanks again and enjoy the sun!
Leyla
Hi Leyla do you live in Kusadasi now? I have a 5 year old boy and a 9 year old daughter, they dont speak any turkish yet. We came here last week, we moved from USA and staying at a hotel at the moment until we find a place to rent..