World Water Day

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
If you didn't know, yesterday (22nd March) was World Water Day. World Water Day has been observed on March 22 since 1993 when the United Nations General Assembly declared March 22 as World Day for Water. This day was first formally proposed in Agenda 21 of the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Observance began in 1993 and has grown significantly ever since; for the general public to show support, it is encouraged for the public to not use their taps throughout the whole day, the day has become a popular Facebook trend.

I saw these pictures when reading Google News. I, probably like many others, take for granted that there will always be copious amounts of water available for drinking, washing, flushing, etc and moan if we have a water cut for a few hours. I think these pictures are beautiful but and they serve as a reminder that there are hundreds of millions of people around the world have to worry every day about having enough water to meet their basic needs, people that can't just call up the 'water man' and have him come round 20 minutes later with a 19 litre bottle, or open the tap and have clean water come out.

http://www.worldwaterday.org/

A boy in a shanty area bathes under a public tap in the eastern Indian city of Bhubaneshwar, Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A homeless man washes his hands in a fountain in Medellin, Antioquia Department, Colombia on March 22, 2011, on World Water Day. The UN's food agency marked World Water Day, today by calling for new and innovative approaches to ensuring city dwellers in developing countries have access to safe and adequate water supplies

Indonesian children play near a heavily polluted river in Jakarta, Indonesia, Tuesday, March 22, 2011.

Indian women fill potable water from a pipeline in Hyderabad, India, Monday, March 21, 2011.

Indians wash clothes in polluted water on the outskirts of Jammu, India, Monday, March 21, 2011.

An Indian boy washes his face at a road side water tap in Allahabad, India, Tuesday, March 22, 2011.

A man washes himself in the water that drains from an overflowing tank on the outskirts of Jammu, India, Tuesday, March 22, 2011.

A boy carries drinking water from a public supply source in Mumbai, India, Tuesday, March 22, 2011. There is no direct supply of potable water at homes in most of the poor neighborhoods and people have to depend on regulated supply of water from public taps erected on roadsides, with a single tap catering to hundreds of households.

Indian women fill containers with potable water from a government water supply tanker at their residential colony in Hyderabad on March 22, 2011.

Pakistani women villagers leave their homes in search of water in the suburbs of Hyderabad, Pakistan Tuesday, March 22, 2011. Pakistan also marked the World Water Day with other nations, where serious water crisis exists.

Pakistani women carry pots whilst walking back to their homes after collecting fresh water from a nearby water point on World Water Day on the outskirts of Islamabad, Pakistan, Tuesday, March 22, 2011.

A Pakistani fills his bucket with clean water in the slums of Karachi, Pakistan on Tuesday, March 22, 2011. Clean Water for a Healthy World is the theme for World Water Day 2011.
Pakistani girl Anum leaves home to fetch water for her family in the slums of Karachi, Pakistan on Tuesday, March 22, 2011. Clean Water for a Healthy World is the theme for World Water Day 2011.

Pakistani boys transport plastic containers to collect fresh water from a nearby water point on World Water Day on the outskirts of Islamabad, Pakistan, Tuesday, March 22, 2011.
A Pakistani child drinks water from a hand-pump in an impoverished neighbourhood of Karachi on March 22, 2011, on World Water Day.

i wasnt aware that there was a world water day, we do take it for granted that is very true i think nothing of walking to the kitchen and pouring myself a glass of water but those less fortunate have to talk miles.