Breaking News - Osama Bin Laden has been killed!

They took DNA from the body so they said they were 99.9% positive it was him.

Could have sworn I saw him shopping at Tesco Express in Birmingham last weekend:)

Osama was dead years ago they are just cashing in on that now. i know he is the chief of terrorism as some put it but seeing photos of people celebrating and partying like its 1999 is abit much what has happened to our world that we now celebrate death sad.

joy

Sweet Yorkshire Rose
Im afraid you are right Ally, worse may be still to come, I pray that Im wrong.
Totally agree Alison and Rhona, I wish they hadn't televised the USA celebrating at the news I dont think that is appropriate and will only incite more revenge.
It is also making more of a martyr of bin laden than he will already be to Al Qaeda.

Fleur

Connoisseur
I don't think the USA wanted to capture him alive. Very strange he was living so close to a military base. I am sure the Pakistani's knew he was living there, I find it hard to believe they didn't. Bin Laden had been on dialysis for years as he had kidney failure, yet the house he was supposed to live in was not hooked up to the grid!!
All a bit odd.
I think there will be huge reprisals and we all need to watch out in the coming weeks and months.

Steve B

Connoisseur
I am kind of shocked by the comments of some people on this. Bin Laden was a mass murderer, plain and simple, he killed thousands of people from many nations, including the terrible events of 9/11. When, how and why are not important, the main and good news about this story is that despite the hiding of him by the Pakistani Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) service knew where he was, in a compound next to the Pakistani equivalent of Sandhurst in Abbottabad, he was hunted down, the US never wavered in their pursuit of justice for all the victims of this criminal. 24 Canadians died in the attacks on the World Trade Center. I for one have no thoughts of conspiracies, just that this animal was finally tracked down and justice delivered. The events of 7/11 in London should remind everyone, also Madrid, Bali and others, of the reason for the the effort to track this criminal down. The mastermind and money backer of 9/11 is dead, I rejoice at this fact, and hope the continued hunt for other leaders is as successful. Bravo to the brave US Navy Seals who undertook such a dangerous mission, and shame on Pakistan for hiding Bin Laden. That the US violated the borders of Pakistan is tough luck, if they did their job of tracking him in their country, didn't try and hide him, this wouldn't have been needed. As for his body being buried at sea, better then the victims of 9/11 got.

Steve. mass murderer though he might have been the deaths which Osama has been credited with pale into insignificance at the number of civilian deaths which have been the responsibility of successive US presidents. George Bush senior bombed water treatment plants and sewage plants. The effect on infant mortality in Iraq over the next ten years shows that this one act alone caused the death of over 500,000 children. The use of depleted uranium shells increases childhood cancer rates from 3.9 per 100,000 to 79 per 100,000. This is a form of biological warfare and nuclear warfare against children. Later bombing campaigns by Clinton, and Bush junior also killed thousands of citizens of which there is dispute about the numbers.

We should also consider the number of civilian deaths which were caused by the US's allies which includes thousands of Shi'ites and Kurds murdered by Saddam Hussein while he was being supplied by the US. The US wiped out regular Iraqi troops but allowed the Republican safe passage. They then called on the Marsh Arabs to revolt against Saddam and then stood back while the Republican Guard massacred up to 4,000 a day.

There are also the numbers of arab non combatants killed by the US vassal states such as the UK and Israel to be added to the list. If Osama was a mass murderer plain and simple what are the various presidents of the US?

Steve B

Connoisseur
Steve. mass murderer though he might have been the deaths which Osama has been credited with pale into insignificance at the number of civilian deaths which have been the responsibility of successive US presidents. George Bush senior bombed water treatment plants and sewage plants. The effect on infant mortality in Iraq over the next ten years shows that this one act alone caused the death of over 500,000 children. The use of depleted uranium shells increases childhood cancer rates from 3.9 per 100,000 to 79 per 100,000. This is a form of biological warfare and nuclear warfare against children. Later bombing campaigns by Clinton, and Bush junior also killed thousands of citizens of which there is dispute about the numbers.

We should also consider the number of civilian deaths which were caused by the US's allies which includes thousands of Shi'ites and Kurds murdered by Saddam Hussein while he was being supplied by the US. The US wiped out regular Iraqi troops but allowed the Republican safe passage. They then called on the Marsh Arabs to revolt against Saddam and then stood back while the Republican Guard massacred up to 4,000 a day.

There are also the numbers of arab non combatants killed by the US vassal states such as the UK and Israel to be added to the list. If Osama was a mass murderer plain and simple what are the various presidents of the US?
Ludwig, don't really care too much about all you say, the Chinese have killed more, (and that's it's own people) then the US ever did in modern history, no outcry from people, same with the Russians. Say what you want, but in modern history, no country, not one, has done more for the betterment of the world, to help the poor, those that can't help themselves, these facts are indisputable. A criminal tyrant who hijacked and used a beautiful religion to twist it to kill thousands, for his own aim and gain is now dead, and I am one who couldn't be happier, plain and simple.

Fleur

Connoisseur
Well I for one agree with you Ludwig, the USA have been responsible for millions of deaths in various countries over the years and the Brits also but to a lesser extent.
Steve I understand your hatred of Osama, but he was just one cog in a very large wheel and we won't see the last of AQ.
It is all very well to intervene in foreign disagreements and wars, but the west don't realise the long term consequences.
Perhaps it is time for them to look at the Palestinian problem, the people of Gaza whose everyday lives are extremely difficult.
Double standards has caused a lot of muslim men to become disenfranchised and as a result, there are many ripe for for the picking and are easily recruited.
Wars create more harm than good.

AlanK

Connoisseur
Well I for one agree with you Ludwig, the USA have been responsible for millions of deaths in various countries over the years and the Brits also but to a lesser extent.
Steve I understand your hatred of Osama, but he was just one cog in a very large wheel and we won't see the last of AQ.
It is all very well to intervene in foreign disagreements and wars, but the west don't realise the long term consequences.
Perhaps it is time for them to look at the Palestinian problem, the people of Gaza whose everyday lives are extremely difficult.
Double standards has caused a lot of muslim men to become disenfranchised and as a result, there are many ripe for for the picking and are easily recruited.
Wars create more harm than good.
Very true Fleur, the creation of the un-natural state of Israel and the imposition of abitrary linear borders on a map rather than natural national borders on the ground on many middle eastern countries by the colonial powers is the root of most of the trouble in today's world.

Latest news is that Osama was unarmed and captured alive then doubled tapped, as the US President watched .
Would have no love for Islamic extremists and their Jihad terrorism but it still rankles to see a human being executed
in such a fashion, if true !
I'm sure the US did not want him alive and have to bring him to due process........show trials etc,but on reflection I
have a gut feeling they may have shot themselves in the foot........not Osama wife.
The terrorists now have a rallying point and a legitimate martyr ,in their eyes, to boot.

Latest news is that Osama was unarmed and captured alive then doubled tapped, as the US President watched .
Would have no love for Islamic extremists and their Jihad terrorism but it still rankles to see a human being executed
in such a fashion, if true !
I'm sure the US did not want him alive and have to bring him to due process........show trials etc,but on reflection I
have a gut feeling they may have shot themselves in the foot........not Osama wife.
The terrorists now have a rallying point and a legitimate martyr ,in their eyes, to boot.
Good enough for the murderous Bastard.

certainly there will always be terrorist groups, but history has shown that in an organization such as al quida, kill the head ot the snake and the body flops around. There is no popular leader that will emerge to replace Bin Laden, so we are left with the usual factional disputes. We may have shot ourselves in the foot, but we shot the devil in the head. I am certain we did not want him alive. Also, the Arab nations have long had enough of terrorism as evidence by recent events. I agree with ronzeus: He was indeed a murderous bastard. Steve has summed it up as the situation now exists: A lot of people enjoy the fruits of American military power while condeming it at every turn. I think it is time for us to come home and let Europeans deal with the mess. That has worked out well in the past. Arbitrary borders in the middle east comes to mind. That was the beginning of this mess.

A lot of people enjoy the fruits of American military power while condeming it at every turn. I think it is time for us to come home and let Europeans deal with the mess.
Please can you let me know what fruits these would be.
I think maybe going home is a good idea that would prove who is right and who is wrong.
In the meantime could you also start paying the same amount for your petrol as I do.

Steve B

Connoisseur
Please can you let me know what fruits these would be.
I think maybe going home is a good idea that would prove who is right and who is wrong.
In the meantime could you also start paying the same amount for your petrol as I do.
Rolf, the price of oil, and in the end of the price of gasoline wouldn't rise much if any if the US pulled out of the region, as approx 50 % of US oil production is in fact from the US, (north slope of Alaska, Gulf of Mexico and some on the mainland US). The other 50% of oil is imported, with a good chunk from Saudi Arabia and some from Iraq and Kuwait, but this could be phased out with alternative energy. Here is the import chart from the US Dept of Energy for February:

Total Imports of Petroleum (Top 15 Countries)
(Thousand Barrels per Day)

Country Feb-11 Jan-11 YTD 2011 Feb-10 YTD 2010

CANADA
2,831​
2,826​
2,829​
2,490​
2,544​
SAUDI ARABIA
1,114​
1,102​
1,108​
898​
932​
MEXICO
1,104​
1,366​
1,242​
1,134​
1,132​
VENEZUELA
989​
1,030​
1,011​
1,009​
957​
NIGERIA
978​
1,007​
993​
932​
975​
RUSSIA
437​
531​
486​
423​
444​
ALGERIA
394​
565​
484​
461​
480​
ANGOLA
370​
316​
342​
326​
302​
IRAQ
263​
470​
372​
540​
522​
ECUADOR
242​
178​
209​
152​
185​
COLOMBIA
211​
332​
275​
386​
353​
VIRGIN ISLANDS
182​
276​
232​
187​
251​
BRAZIL
177​
274​
228​
226​
293​
NETHERLANDS
129​
101​
114​
126​
121​
KUWAIT
118​
147​
133​
228​
149​

Steve B

Connoisseur
Also, the price of gas at the pumps is determined by the oil companies depending on the local market and government taxes. The US taxes gas at a much lower rate then the UK or Turkey or most European countries. In Canada, gasoline is now 1.33 CAD a litre, with 70% of it being taxes.