Importany information for property owners. Deadline 31 May.

AlanK

Connoisseur
Property tax is based on the area of the property AND its value. The municipality and the land registry (tapu office) are now working closely to ensure that the declared value of the property at the time of purchase is also the true purchase price. Property owners are also required to report any changes that they have made which could increase the value of the property, such as extensions, double glazing, air-conditioning, central or solar hearing. Failure to do so can result in the imposition of fines and levies of up to five years' unpaid back taxes. Last year you may have seen council staff with cameras and clipboards waling the streets and looking at every house. The council has now, as far as it can, recalculated the value of properties and recalculated the tax and fines due. If you have recently paid your tax and they are aware of all the improvements you have made then you may be paid up to date, but everyone is strongly advised to visit the Belediye Saray to check. Any back taxes and fines paid by 31 May will be halved. From 31 May a new system of charges and fines will be intoduced which will be linked to retail prices. The desk at which you should report your changes and check your debts is situated at the back of the ground floor, directly opposite the entrance. On Monday 16 May Dilek Mestanoğlu will be available in that area to give any assistance needed. If you have any queries the call centre staff will be happy to help, you can call them on 6140564 or 41449232

Property tax is based on the area of the property AND its value. The municipality and the land registry (tapu office) are now working closely to ensure that the declared value of the property at the time of purchase is also the true purchase price. Property owners are also required to report any changes that they have made which could increase the value of the property, such as extensions, double glazing, air-conditioning, central or solar hearing. Failure to do so can result in the imposition of fines and levies of up to five years' unpaid back taxes. Last year you may have seen council staff with cameras and clipboards waling the streets and looking at every house. The council has now, as far as it can, recalculated the value of properties and recalculated the tax and fines due. If you have recently paid your tax and they are aware of all the improvements you have made then you may be paid up to date, but everyone is strongly advised to visit the Belediye Saray to check. Any back taxes and fines paid by 31 May will be halved. From 31 May a new system of charges and fines will be intoduced which will be linked to retail prices. The desk at which you should report your changes and check your debts is situated at the back of the ground floor, directly opposite the entrance. On Monday 16 May Dilek Mestanoğlu will be available in that area to give any assistance needed. If you have any queries the call centre staff will be happy to help, you can call them on 6140564 or 41449232
alan are you saying that if you put in an air conditioning unit you have to declare this

Hi Alan
new to forum ,what happens if you are unable to notify them of changes until after the deadline of 31st may,we normally pay our bills when we arrive in august.:tdown:

AlanK

Connoisseur
Hi Alan
new to forum ,what happens if you are unable to notify them of changes until after the deadline of 31st may,we normally pay our bills when we arrive in august.:tdown:
Presumably you will have to pay any fines and surcharges in full-but I wouldn't worry about it the fines are very small. If you pay your tax every August in arrears you'already be paying a fine every year.

ben

Black Knight
What happens if your home is worth less than you paid for it, due to the slump in house prices?
Will the Belideye refund council tax with intrest if you have over paid?

What if changes were made my by previous owners? or the villas and appartments came with air con and double glazing and solar heating as standard will the council be aware of this? any advice greatley received
alan.

AlanK

Connoisseur
What if changes were made my by previous owners? or the villas and appartments came with air con and double glazing and solar heating as standard will the council be aware of this? any advice greatley received
alan.
Naturally I cannot be sure but if the improvements were there when you bought the property and the purchase price was registered correctly then they have already been taken into account. See my next post

AlanK

Connoisseur
I was teaching today so Ann went to the Belediye alone. She found half a dozen or so other Brits there on the same mission. What followed might charitably be described as chaotic, or less charitably, but more accurately, as farcical. They were passed from one officiial to another for about an hour. None of them seemed to know what they were doing. Ann was eventually told that we were paid up to date and owed nothing. She asked about the improvements we'd made and was told that the staff with the cameras and clipboards would have captured that data but they hadn't had time to process it yet. Some people were told that there was no record of their properties, even though they had been paying their taxes regularly. One lady was rold that her property was, according to the records, the size of a toilet. She has to return with her tapu tomorrow. Another lady, who is also paid upto date and is flying back to UK for a holiday tomorrow, was told to take in her tapu. She'll be in trouble if her property is more than 100sq metres. She went back later in the afternoon but I don't know the outcome.
A Turkish gentleman was there too. He had owned and lived in his house for many years but had never paid any taxes at all. He thought that, with the impendinding crackdown, which has been heavily publicised, it was time to pay up.
Situation normal!!

It`s a scary thought alan ,if nobody seems to know what the next man is doing at the council they could come to us in a few years and say we owe 100`s of lira,even though they have told you your up to date.:tdown:

Anniebubble

Ladies Beach's First Lady
Went yesterday and was told nothing owning I was one the people with Alan`s wife Ann,my friend was one of the people who had to take her tapu when we returned and they checked nothing to pay.
We were told that as we had been we were register as going so if any problems at a later date it was recorded.
When we returned Dilik the lady who had helped us had more info and explained a lot more a lot of it is to see that the property was the right size and what quality it was build to this is what the tax was/is based on and to see if any tax evasion.

joy

Sweet Yorkshire Rose
Mike is in Kusadasi at the moment,he said that the people he had spoken to locally had never heard about this including the Turks?
It sounds like if you are paying your taxes regularly you will be up to date,so is it advisable to still registered that you have registered with them, or just to pay taxes are per normal ?
Our Tapu does actual show the price we paid for it, although like many we have spent a lot of money on it since.

AlanK

Connoisseur
Mike is in Kusadasi at the moment,he said that the people he had spoken to locally had never heard about this including the Turks?
It sounds like if you are paying your taxes regularly you will be up to date,so is it advisable to still registered that you have registered with them, or just to pay taxes are per normal ?
Our Tapu does actual show the price we paid for it, although like many we have spent a lot of money on it since.
Thousands of leaflets were distibuted explaining this in Turkish and there were posters and banners around the town.

joy

Sweet Yorkshire Rose
I think its fantastic that we are now getting correct information on a regular basis about the important issues for expats and homeowners.
We haven't been there Alan,I am only expressing what Mike has found talking to people.
Keep up the good work much appreciated.

I have owned a property since 2007 it is a 4 bed semi-villa opposite Omer Holiday village.
I wasn't aware of tax due, do I go to Belediye armed with Tapu and say Hit Me?
Approx how much is tax per annum and is this for services like refuse collection or is that another tax??
Thanks
Jimbo

AlanK

Connoisseur
Just go to Belediye and after passing through security you'll find a help desk on your left. They will be able to give you your sicil number then you go down a few steps take a queue number ticket from the machine and wait your turn. When you go to the cashier just give him your number and he will tell you what you owe. If you'd prefer to pay by credit card just speak nicely to the help desk staff and if they're not too busy they may set up an on-line account for you and take your payment