British Tourist Hurt In Kusadasi Quad Bike Crash 'refused Ambulance By Tour Operator'

Beware

A British woman was rushed to hospital after she was trapped under a quad bike that flipped over on a safari trip in Turkey.

Karen Lough, 49, was refused an ambulance by the tour operator before discovering they were uninsured and that she and her husband James, 51, would have to foot the hefty hospital bill.

The accident happened just a week after another British couple, both in their twenties, were killed in a horrific quad bike smash in the Maldives on their honeymoon.

The Loughs, believed to come from Eyemouth in Scotland were promised helmets and insurance cover when they booked the quad-bike safari with an agent in the popular tourist resort of Kusadasi.

But according to husband James the couple were discouraged from wearing helmets by tour leaders who said they'd be too hot.

James begged staff to call an ambulance but they opted to drive Karen to hospital in a car instead where she was discovered to have a broken arm and severe cuts and bruising.

Speaking to the Turkish press James explained: 'We were near Pamucak Beach when we pulled over to the side to allow others to pass but the ground was uneven and Karen's bike flipped over on top of her.'

Karen stayed in a private hospital for three days running up a 3,000GBP bill for treatment.

But when she was due to be discharged she discovered to her horror that the tour agency had no insurance and was refusing to pay the bill.

After bitter arguments between the pair and the tour operator, Turkish Travel Agent Association, Tursab, stepped in and forced the company to pay the medical bill.

But the Turkish boss of the tour operator, Rustem Gurbuz, claimed the Loughs were offered helmets but refused saying it was too hot. 'It's all lies - they're just trying to claim money from their insurance company,' he said.

Fleur

Connoisseur
How these tour operator's are allowed to to function without public liability insurance is beyond me.
Obviously this is the case and the Turkish authorities should really clamp down on these unscrupulous people.
Also, how an earth can the hospital charge £3,000 for a three night stay? The greed of some of the hospitals here is quite dreadful and needs investigating, no wonder holiday insurance has become more and more expensive.
I am just glad that the woman's injuries were not more serious. Also, even if she had been wearing a crash helmet, she still would have suffered a broken arm.

This reminds me of a quad bike experience I had 2 years ago. Myself and my son thought we'd got a good deal for a quad bike trip, only to discover that the bikes were absolutely rubbish, one of the chains kept coming off, no crash helmets provided, indicators not working, one of the bikes had no electric start, one had no reg plate, and we were taken to a hill behind the Otogar instead of a nice area such as Millipark. It shows you that you need to use a reputable company, preferably one recommended by someone who has had a good experience. We were very lucky we didn't have an accident. Maybe we should have a thread on here about the best tour companies for quad bike, jeep safari, horse riding, parasailing etc??

i am james lough as featured in this story a lot of these facts are untrue as my wife does not have a broken arm also we were not discouraged from wearing helmets as we were never offered them. the tour company explanation was that people have refused to wear them so they didnt offer them.i believe the company did have insurance as our hospital bill was paid by them. also the company say they paid over 3000 euros but the paperwork i recieved from hospital to give to turkish lawyer in kusadasi states that payment was in turkish lira. some kind of scam goin on ?????????????????? they have no medical knowledge as they proceeded to lift quad bike off my wife then lifted her up from the ground and she fainted within one minute. what the hell would have happened should ahe have had internal injuries. it took over one hour to reach hospital via a minibus and hospital car journey BEWARE OF SUNDIAL TOUR AGENCY LADIES BEACH KUSADASI

Wow, what a nightmare.
A big lesson to learn, if you don't want to depend on cheap*ss, money-hungry tour operators. A normal travel insurance does NOT cover quad bike riding. Quad bike riding counts as an extreme-sport, like wild water rafting and bungy jumping. Keep that in mind if you want to make sure that your own insurance covers everything.
If you do an "extreme" sport that you didn't plan, and isn't covered by your insurance, ask the tour operator for proof that the operator or the company they hire for the sports is insured. I have done that when I went wild-water rafting, and even the smallest Turkish trip-shop had copies of the insurance papers.

AlanK

Connoisseur
Wow, what a nightmare.
A big lesson to learn, if you don't want to depend on cheap*ss, money-hungry tour operators. A normal travel insurance does NOT cover quad bike riding. Quad bike riding counts as an extreme-sport, like wild water rafting and bungy jumping. Keep that in mind if you want to make sure that your own insurance covers everything.
If you do an "extreme" sport that you didn't plan, and isn't covered by your insurance, ask the tour operator for proof that the operator or the company they hire for the sports is insured. I have done that when I went wild-water rafting, and even the smallest Turkish trip-shop had copies of the insurance papers.
Hi Jasmina. Congratulations. Your Turkish is good enough for you to be able to read their insurance policies but what can the average tourist do?

... they have no medical knowledge as they proceeded to lift quad bike off my wife then lifted her up from the ground and she fainted within one minute. what the hell would have happened should ahe have had internal injuries. it took over one hour to reach hospital via a minibus and hospital car journey BEWARE OF SUNDIAL TOUR AGENCY LADIES BEACH KUSADASI
Lifting an injured person and putting them into a car to be rushed off to hospital, with headlights flashing and horns blaring, is widespread practice here. When tourists come to Turkey they are leaving behind the protected world of health and safety standards and a network of fast response ambulance services that has taken many decades to develop back home. Turkey is developing this but isn't there yet. So, unfortunately when you come here you are taking a risk, and I'm sorry that you've found out the hard way.

For example I was horrified once to watch a news item on TV where an overturned car of trapped injured people was righted by a well-meaning crowd of on-lookers. I shuddered to think of what additional injuries were caused as the car tipped over and crashed down right side up.

I live many miles from the nearest hosptal, if anyone is taken ill we have to decide which ambulance service to call. The one further away has paramedics but will take longer to arrive, whereas the nearer one has only rudimentary life support systems but will get to hospital quicker. Or someone will bundle you into their car....

Life (and death) is different here :)

Hi Jasmina. Congratulations. Your Turkish is good enough for you to be able to read their insurance policies but what can the average tourist do?
At that time I couldn't read much Turkish, and I don't think I can read a full insurance paper in Turkish at the moment either. Heck, it's hard for me to understand a Dutch one :p But they often have English copies (like was mentioned) and asking for an insurance paper already gives you a chance to see the reaction of the tour operator. Shock and a red face, or going straight to a binder to find the correct paper. It is just one of the steps you take, like checking for the Tursab sign.

I know this agency SUNDIAL TRAVEL guys there slim Jim and Van Damme near by sherwood restaurant they hassle everyone when you walk on steert they try to sell trips