Sealing Soba Pipes

Just bought 1st wood burning soba today, had a test fire with a few logs, and smoke is pouring out of pipe joints.
Obviously these joints need to be sealed somehow.

what do I need to buy to seal them, anyone know ?

thanks

Anthony07

Welsh Prince
Just bought 1st wood burning soba today, had a test fire with a few logs, and smoke is pouring out of pipe joints.
Obviously these joints need to be sealed somehow.

what do I need to buy to seal them, anyone know ?

thanks
Fire cement or Fire Resistant sealants ..:thumbsup: :tup:

The people I know don't use any sealant. In fact, some of them dismantle the pipework over the summer months. You may want to check first that the chimney is drawing properly; you might need a rotating thingy on top to draw the smoke out. (I am advised by my usta that "thingy" is the correct technical term). One of our friends' pipework just went directly outside and wasn't working correctly. They had a brick chimney built up the side of the house, stuck the pipe into that and bob was their uncle.

AlanK

Connoisseur
We had quite a long horizontal run of pipes but didn't need any sealant, just rammed the pipes together very hard and had no leaks.

ben

Black Knight
The important thing to remember in soba buckets burn from the top down.
so the coal is in the bottom followed by wood and paper higher up.
In the winter I fill the bucket nearly to the top and it slowly burns for 4 to 6 hours.
Sobas need to burn paper and small wood fastly when first lit.(This is probably why you have smoke in the room.)
You need all the air vents to be open at the bottom and top.
Also having a Salterns hat is essetial to have decent air flow.
This also stops carbon monoxide getting into the room and killing you !

AlanK

Connoisseur
The important thing to remember in soba buckets burn from the top down.
so the coal is in the bottom followed by wood and paper higher up.
In the winter I fill the bucket nearly to the top and it slowly burns for 4 to 6 hours.
Sobas need to burn paper and small wood fastly when first lit.(This is probably why you have smoke in the room.)
You need all the air vents to be open at the bottom and top.
Also having a Salterns hat is essetial to have decent air flow.
This also stops carbon monoxide getting into the room and killing you !
Yes, if you're burning coal as well as logs a carbon monoxide detector is essential. Koctas sell them.

ben

Black Knight
We have English smoke detectors which sense carbon monoxide, because we know they have high safety requirments.
They were £25 each one is in the living room the other in our bedroom.Twice they have gone off in three years alerting us to carbon monoxide, so make sure any you get is to a high standard not a cheap copy.
Salterns hats make sobas much safer you need to have the biggest you can fit to your chimmney.
Here is a link for anyone who does not know what a salters hat is !
http://www.esmatik.com.tr/a-model-urun-detay-2.aspx

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
i dont think i,d be brave enough to use a soba--every winter on the turkish news there are pictures and storys of fires caused by these things often killing people and up in the turkish village there are lots of burnt out houses--if this winter is pretty mild like last year im gonna use my klima and convectors upstairs--i do have a proper fireplace but hardly lit it last year

soba4.jpg

Fitted a medium size salterns hat to chimney today, also got some foil heat resistant tape for the pipe joints, forecast is for cooler weather for next few days (by turkish standards) so will give this thing a test run.

Thanks for all the advice

Here is a link for anyone who does not know what a salters hat is !
http://www.esmatik.com.tr/a-model-urun-detay-2.aspx
No, it's not a sultan's hat, I'm pretty sure it's a thingy ;-)
I'm using one for a different purpose; we have a cellar with poor air circulation and it smelt damp. I drilled a couple of holes through the wall to let air in. There is a service shaft for water pipes and so on that leads to the roof. I fitted a thingy to the top of that and the problem has gone away.

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
View attachment 4859
Fitted a medium size salterns hat to chimney today, also got some foil heat resistant tape for the pipe joints, forecast is for cooler weather for next few days (by turkish standards) so will give this thing a test run.

Thanks for all the advice
thats a lovely stove--not an ordinairy run of the mill soba--isnt it what they call a Cuisiner? bet it will do fab baked spuds!lol;)

kay

Kusadasi Kiwi
That photo takes me back a bit. I learn't to cook on something similar. (perhaps that is why I like my toast burnt).:) The door on ours swung out not down - and in my minds eye I can still see my father sitting in a chair reading a book with his feet propped up on the open oven door.

Well see as it was a bit chilly yesterday, I loaded it 1/2 full with coal and wood, gave out quite a lot of heat so was still able to walk around in tee shirt.
Did get a couple of blow backs of smoke when I opened the bottom air intake a bit, not sure why that happened?
Cooked a big pile of peppers on top too, which I normally do in the oven :)