Swede Alternative

Fleur

Connoisseur
Marcelle, you can often find turnips at the local market, they are white and purple, not to be confused with the giant radish!!

Fleur

Connoisseur
do they taste likeswede then mmmmmmmmm will try
In the UK there are two types of turnip. One has a butter coloured centre and is a more mature type of swede/turnip. I have never seen them here which is a shame as I love them with carrot, but the younger white and purple variety which you can get here are a good substitute.

In the UK there are two types of turnip. One has a butter coloured centre and is a more mature type of swede/turnip. I have never seen them here which is a shame as I love them with carrot, but the younger white and purple variety which you can get here are a good substitute.
thanks very much

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
i like potato mashed with carrot--also use it as a topping for a cottage or shepherds pie then theres champ--mash with scally onions and butter and milk--colcannon, mash with cabbage---also bubble and squeek with mash and cabbage---then roast squash---or any veg drizzled with a bit of oil and roasted--then theres cauliflower cheese---then stuffed or roast bibers-i stuff them with savoury cooked rice with bits of leftover meat in it---cooked beetroots with butter--then yufka parcels with broccoli or spinach with cheese---good old home-made coleslaw--roast potato wedges with grated cheese and drizzled with mayonnaise--then theres leeks--leek an tater soup--braised leeks with cheese or onion sauce--spicy scallops--slices of potato dipped in curry flavoured batter and deep fried--fattening but orgasmic!--fresh tomato soup--tomatoes 2chicken stock cubes put in plastic bowl cover with boiling water put in microwave for 20mins on high power then blend with stick blender--i like to drink this also when its chilled--extremely healthy --tomatoes produce lycopan.then theres potato cakes mash potato add flour -fry in pan--my favourite lentil soup ---one thing i havnt tried yet here in turkey is the celeriac--must get some info on it if anyone can help

i like potato mashed with carrot--also use it as a topping for a cottage or shepherds pie then theres champ--mash with scally onions and butter and milk--colcannon, mash with cabbage---also bubble and squeek with mash and cabbage---then roast squash---or any veg drizzled with a bit of oil and roasted--then theres cauliflower cheese---then stuffed or roast bibers-i stuff them with savoury cooked rice with bits of leftover meat in it---cooked beetroots with butter--then yufka parcels with broccoli or spinach with cheese---good old home-made coleslaw--roast potato wedges with grated cheese and drizzled with mayonnaise--then theres leeks--leek an tater soup--braised leeks with cheese or onion sauce--spicy scallops--slices of potato dipped in curry flavoured batter and deep fried--fattening but orgasmic!--fresh tomato soup--tomatoes 2chicken stock cubes put in plastic bowl cover with boiling water put in microwave for 20mins on high power then blend with stick blender--i like to drink this also when its chilled--extremely healthy --tomatoes produce lycopan.then theres potato cakes mash potato add flour -fry in pan--my favourite lentil soup ---one thing i havnt tried yet here in turkey is the celeriac--must get some info on it if anyone can help
some of that sounds lush how do you make cheese sauce for the leeks please and how do you make curry flavoured batter please yum yum

AlanK

Connoisseur
It's delicious in a stew or by itself either sliced or mashed. Slice it and boil for 20 minutes or chop into chunks and roast for 40.

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
you can either buy the--bechemel-- white sauce packet mix from supermarkets and add grated cheese or onion or make what is called a roux--this is just flour and marge or butter stirred together in a saucepan then milk added gradually and then the grated cheese --look online for exact weights of ingredients and recipies--for the batters you can use flour milk and egg and bung some curry powder or any spices you have in it--amount of curry powder to your own taste---the chinese just use flour and egg for thicker batter --i use this for coating pieces of chicken breast for deep frying--good batter for fish is flour egg and beer--forgot--if you have a load of cooke veg left you can put it in an oven proof dish --make up a pkt of maybe mushroom or chicken soup--but make it thicker with less water--tip it over the cooked veg scatter with crumbled or grated cheese and bung it in the oven for about half an hour---mushrooms--buy some large mushrooms wash and remove stalks--place upside down in oven dish with some cheese in the hollow where the stalk was and bake in the oven again about 30mins---dont waste the mushroom stalks either make mushroom soup or chop them up and use them to make a mushroom omlette--or do a stirfry with some chopped chicken breast peppers and onion--or chop them and add them to some white sauce and pour over pasta

They taste nothing like Swede.
your correct Pajoe .people get confused between the difference .the swedes as you might call them in england (the big ones with the yellow flesh),are what us scots call turnips,so the ones we get in turkey (purple skin and white flesh)we would call them swedes..did i get that right Mavi..lol

Theyellow flesh ones we get in Scotland are swedes Jake...the white flesh ones are turnip...They swedes are also the ones they use in Sc otland as animal fodder in winter...I'm a country girl.The swedes are usually big and very hard to cut...but lovely chopped and boiled ...mashed with butter and lots of black pepper. Wish I could get some right now.

Theyellow flesh ones we get in Scotland are swedes Jake...the white flesh ones are turnip...They swedes are also the ones they use in Sc otland as animal fodder in winter...I'm a country girl.The swedes are usually big and very hard to cut...but lovely chopped and boiled ...mashed with butter and lots of black pepper. Wish I could get some right now.
my a**e what part of scotland are you from (mmm maybe Jedborugh on the borders..lol).."only jokin Anne " its a turnip that has yellow flesh..and a swede that has white flesh..IN ..SCOTLAND.....ps that was just confirmed with her indoors too.....

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
turnip is orange and sweet taste, swede is white and a little bitter swede used more in England and in soups..

In Turkey my turnip tip is - buy a swede blackish on the outside, whiteish inside, chop into cubes, boil it till soft then add a tiny bit orange food colouring and some sugar and butter, mash! texture of a turnip, colour of a turnip, tastes almost or as good as it gets to a turnip;)

pajoe

Connoisseur
your correct Pajoe .people get confused between the difference .the swedes as you might call them in england (the big ones with the yellow flesh),are what us scots call turnips,so the ones we get in turkey (purple skin and white flesh)we would call them swedes..did i get that right Mavi..lol
Yes Jake,we call them Turnips in Ireland as well.

Lived in a small country town..and got our tatties and Turnips from the farm. they were yellow inside and purple cream on the outside and they called them swedes. maybe in Glasgow they didn't know any better...lol

Have just looked up my ancient cookery book... the white flesh ones are called early turnips and the yellow flesh ones are Swedes...swedes have a milder flavour...but in our part of the world were commonly known as tumchies