Snow Causes Flights To Be Cancelled In Istanbul.

Steve B

Connoisseur
My son is flying in to Istanbul tonight ready for a transfer to Izmir - praying he gets here okay.
Margaret, I have been trying to access Ataturk airports website all day, but no luck, I believe it has been down because of the amount of people trying to access it. SAW's website is still up and running, and doesn't look like there are many delays.

Steve B

Connoisseur
I just noticed on Sabiha Gokcen airport website in the past hour, a flight, Sunexpress from Izmir, and a Pegasus flight from Antalya have been diverted, but it doesn't say diverted to where! It is possible Ataturk, but watching the evening news tonight Ataturk is a bottleneck now too.

Edited to add link to cancelled THY flights to/from Istanbul due to weather. It warns additions and deletions could happen anytime.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...ncellation-due-to-bad-weather-conditions.aspx

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
We just called and they said the problem is more on the incoming flights to istanbul as opposed to the outgoing ones..:eek: fingers crossed for us

im sure ive read that this winter here in turkey is the coldest for 30years
Yes Kib, they said on tv tonight it was the coldest in 30 years. I don't know if I am losing my Canadian toughness to winter, but I am finding it cold now too, I thought I would never say this, lol!

Thanks for the help Steve B. I guess I just have to watch and wait, not seen my eldest in over a year and he's only here for 3 days. Just hope he manages to get here sometime soon. :)

Cold,Cold? last night here on the Fylde coast it was cold enough to freeze the t*ts of a wooden saint.But it was a lovely sunny day ,so not that bad eh ;)

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
Yes Kib, they said on tv tonight it was the coldest in 30 years. I don't know if I am losing my Canadian toughness to winter, but I am finding it cold now too, I thought I would never say this, lol!
the cold in turkey really seems to seep into your bones --its different somehow

Thanks for the help Steve B. I guess I just have to watch and wait, not seen my eldest in over a year and he's only here for 3 days. Just hope he manages to get here sometime soon. :)
Hope his flight arrives with no problems Margaret. As Mavi said, it appears to be real problems with flights arriving in Istanbul, not leaving.

the cold in turkey really seems to seep into your bones --its different somehow
I was home for Christmas to Ottawa Kib, -30 C the day I left, it felt cold, but maybe the mindset, I was back in Canada, it's winter, put up with it and enjoy. Here, yes, it is unusually cold, coldest spell of weather in the 4 years I have been here. I have had colder days in the past 3 winters, but never a string of days in a row like this. It will just mean a good, hot summer!

Well - my lad arrived in Istanbul about 30 minutes ago but they still have not deplaned yet! The last flight for Izmir leaves in around 12 minutes so I guess we will not be seeing him tonight. Gutted.

Well - my lad arrived in Istanbul about 30 minutes ago but they still have not deplaned yet! The last flight for Izmir leaves in around 12 minutes so I guess we will not be seeing him tonight. Gutted.
Glad he arrived safely in Istanbul Magaret. An overnight in Istanbul, the weather should improve, the runways will be nice and clear for a uneventful flight to Izmir tomorrow! Smile :)

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
Well the caos seemed to last as this morning their website had NOT updated todays cancelled flights and we phoned for 2 hours and didnt get through so we had no choice to take him to Izmir....Luckily there was only a short delay in the Izmir flight landing time and the gatwick flight took off on time!