Local Council Tax

Realised I hadn't paid any for yonks. Popped into the town hall found I owed 270 tl back dated from 2010 until the end of this year. One item ıntrigued me a charge for street animals or something ??

expatroy

Connoisseur
We thought we'd paid up in full only to discover that it was the missus's tax and not mine, as both names on the TAPU are charged separately. Oh well....

ben

Black Knight
While the tax was low a few years ago it seems to have increased quiet a bit after the enviromental tax was added.
It does seem everyone on the tapu has to pay.
The Belidiye do not tell you if you have not paid, prefering to fine you and add intrest.
Bearing in mind this can be 5% a month or 60% a year.
So a small amount owed can soon escalate.
People who have not paid for many years can now find they owe more than 1000TL very quickly

last year I went to belediye and paid the taxes. As I do not know Turkish, I just gave the tapu and they said 160 tl and I paid. This year, I noticed that I have to pay interest for some taxes that were missed last year???!! it is not too much interest but it was not my fault that they did not calculate properly!!!!
anyway, they are charging me every year for solid disposal but we have a septic tank and we are paying our site for cleaning the rubbish in the bin. what is this solid disposal?
Also it sounds too much increase for taxes. Bina vergesi for last year was 19 tl x2 but this year is 27 tl x2.
Is anyone paying more than last year?

Steve B

Connoisseur
Banni, you may pay the site for cleaning the rubbish bin, but they have to send it somewhere, and that is the municipal landfill, hence the solid waste disposal charge. On our site we have our summer home in, we pay a monthly fee, but the local belidiye picks the garbage up from our dumpsters year round, this is also a charge on our property tax bill.

ben

Black Knight
The property tax here appears to be another one of Turkeys strange puzzels.
Everyone on our site has the same home but all pay different amounts.
It is a complete lottery how much you pay.
Just be very careful to check the receipt because there are no refunds if the belidiye gets it wrong !

AlanK

Connoisseur
The property tax here appears to be another one of Turkeys strange puzzels.
Everyone on our site has the same home but all pay different amounts.
It is a complete lottery how much you pay.
Just be very careful to check the receipt because there are no refunds if the belidiye gets it wrong !
I believe that the amount you pay is based on the purchase price of your house but don't ask me how.

AlanK

Connoisseur
i was always under the impression it was the metric size of the property...to determine how much council tax you have to pay..
One would logically assume so but Ben and his neighbours live in identical houses and pay different amounts, as do I and my neighbours.

We thought we'd paid up in full only to discover that it was the missus's tax and not mine, as both names on the TAPU are charged separately. Oh well....
hi just wanted to know do you have seperate paper work for your council taz where i live no english house owners are aware they have to pay each can you give us some imfo and ill pass it on !

AlanK

Connoisseur
hi just wanted to know do you have seperate paper work for your council taz where i live no english house owners are aware they have to pay each can you give us some imfo and ill pass it on !
Go to the Belediye and ask at the help desk on the left just after the entrance. The staff there speak good English and are very helpful.

Even if you just hand over your white card with the tax number on when you pay your water bill they will check what each card owner owes. A few people I know handed their spouses one over and got a printout of bills a yard long. Whoever is on the TAPU has to pay individually. Don't worry though, the fines are small. As an example you would probably have to pay around 200 lira if you had a bill 4-5 years old. The problem here is that they don't inform you, they just keep totting it up.