Budget Meals

AlanK

Connoisseur
Walking along the seafront today, feeling hungry and looking for somewhere to buy a snack I noticed a banner outside The Onur Büfe, advertising tavuk döner ekmek (chicken doner kebab) plus ayran for 2TL. I must've passed the place a thousand times before but never noticed it; I couldn't believe the ad, there must be a catch!
The place was immaculate with comfortable tables and chairs, fast and friendly service. My ekmek was a half loaf stufffed full with tasty grilled chicken, fresh tomato, lettuce and onion. There was also a bowl of olives on the table.
When I went to pay, the bill was just 2TL as advertised, and I was told that it will remain that price for the season. That was a filling and nourishing meal for very little money, I don't know how he does it at that price. Onur Büfe is on the corner of İnönnü Bulvarı (''Shoe Shop Street'') and Ataturk Bulvarı (Sea Front) and is well worth a visit; they provide a variety of snacks and drinks.
A little later, Ann fancied an ice cream so we visited the waffle bar and ice-cream stall in the middle of the precinct just outside the Turk Telekom office, where Ann asked for the 4 top 1 TL icecream, expecting to be told that the offer was finished (as had happened last year). Not only was she given her four tops for one lira, but because she had ordered entirely in Turkish was given one extra free.
I'm sure others know of equally good value establishments around. What are your favourites?

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
They cant do it for that price and make profit, its what we call a 'lost leader', its to entice people in, and if 4 come in 1 or 2 wont take the tavuk ekmek they might have iskender for example and let the poor bugger make a couple of lira...
there is wages, rent, ssk, electric, stock, cleaning materials etc even if he sold 2000 a day he would never make a profit:confused:

When you are on the other side of the trade you see things from a different light....

Lots of places also start off with good prices, bargains, and when they have gained clientelle they up the prices, either discreetly or in your face (one of your wee favs on the seafront Alan, we went 2 wks ago, mezes and toasties, was 37 tl first time, 2nd time 2 wks later 65 tl for one toastie and 1 meze more, plus their pricing board was down..)

AlanK

Connoisseur
That's one of the problems with his place: - he doesn't yet have a menu or price list but he's working on that this week. I've not yet been over charged there in fact I've had to tell him he's forgotten some of the things I've had. His other problems are lack of space and he doesn't yet accept credit cards. One thing he doesn't have a problem with is filling the place.

Thanks for the tip Alan, we'll certainly give it a go when we are there (21 days and counting....) Are there any other cheap and cheerful places that yourself or other members can recommend for a snack rather than a full blown meal?

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
quıte a few places up the street opposıte the belıdıye do the same half ekmek stuffed wıth chıcken and salad plus an ayran 2tl or sometımes 2-50tl--theres a turkısh cafe next to gossıps --they do gozleme plus cay for 2-50 and plenty of other very reasonable snacks on the menu---my fave ıs the TOMBUL BUFE ın the square rıght behınd the belıdıye---nıce cheeseburgers and home made koftes for a few lıras----OR the golden oldıes do a lovely bıg deep pızza for around 12lıra that would serve 4 people hence 3lıra apıece --the bolognese one ıs to dıe for mmmm:)

zeytin

Connoisseur
Theres loads of cheap and good eating places in kusadasi, plenty of places selling ekmek kebabs, gozleme etc for 2 to 5 lira, depending on fillings and most times you get some salad or chllies to go with that. Metin Usta in the park also good, and they do meals if your hungrier, eskendar kebab 12 lira, free blown bread and salad, too much for us and i hate waste, the stray cats were happy though on the way home, also half a chicken, chips salad and rice 8 lira and again free bread, they do pides, pizza and other meals aswell.
Bohame, facing mini tansas on wom street do a lovely baked potato with choice of fillings, and like kibris said, the bolognaise pizza in golden oldies is very good, i ate the whole lot myself:)
That was 14 lira last time i had it.
I want to try the fishermans cafe by the port, weve heard good things about there, so hopefully we,ll try it soon.

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
Theres loads of cheap and good eating places in kusadasi, plenty of places selling ekmek kebabs, gozleme etc for 2 to 5 lira, depending on fillings and most times you get some salad or chllies to go with that. Metin Usta in the park also good, and they do meals if your hungrier, eskendar kebab 12 lira, free blown bread and salad, too much for us and i hate waste, the stray cats were happy though on the way home, also half a chicken, chips salad and rice 8 lira and again free bread, they do pides, pizza and other meals aswell.
Bohame, facing mini tansas on wom street do a lovely baked potato with choice of fillings, and like kibris said, the bolognaise pizza in golden oldies is very good, i ate the whole lot myself:)
That was 14 lira last time i had it.
I want to try the fishermans cafe by the port, weve heard good things about there, so hopefully we,ll try it soon.
that half chlcken etc sounds good mavıs --all for 8lıra--ıs that the park next to the belıdıye?

kibris

Mancunian Crooner
beast one i came up with was the old house at end of ladies beach,burger,chip,salad,and big bottle of efes 7tl
what about mr moons kenny--do they do good food?--ıve never stopped there for a drınk yet--kep meanıng to---there ws that place just below SOK that dıd good cheap lunches --cant remember ıts name now--thınk ally used to go there

zeytin

Connoisseur
that half chlcken etc sounds good mavıs --all for 8lıra--ıs that the park next to the belıdıye?
Not far from the beldiye, its across the road from the school and its the first restuarant on the left from the road going into the park, same little street where aladdins cave is, its called Metin Usta.

AlanK

Connoisseur
what about mr moons kenny--do they do good food?--ıve never stopped there for a drınk yet--kep meanıng to---there ws that place just below SOK that dıd good cheap lunches --cant remember ıts name now--thınk ally used to go there
had a good saute chicken at Mr Moons last year, can't remember the price but it was very cheap and very tasty.

Mavi

Glaswegian Güzeli
Not far from the beldiye, its across the road from the school and its the first restuarant on the left from the road going into the park, same little street where aladdins cave is, its called Metin Usta.
Love Metin Ustas food, favourite at the moment is his Iskender Kebab:)