Nazar Bonjuk

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger

Nazar Bonjuk is a Turkish good-luck 'Evil Eye' charm. When travelling in Turkey, you will notice the evil eye everywhere. They are hand-crafted of blown glass, and appear in many different shapes and sizes. It has no religious significance, but the Evil Eye is one of the oldest and widely believed myths. The Little Magic Stone protects one from the ‘Evil Eye’ and you will see this blue glass piece all over Turkey. In glass beads, in bracelets, on boats, cars, in hotels, bars, restaurants, shops, private houses, or even in earings. But what, you may ask, is behind this superstition?...

Well, according to superstition, The Nazar Bonjuk was born of the age-old "evil eye" superstition that one person,usually without intention, can cast a spell on another and can harm you, your children, your livestock ect just by *looking at them* with envy, jealousy and praise. Thus, to protect yourself you wear a Nazar Bonjuk to repel the evil eye, as it will be afraid, andit 'looks' straight back at the spell-caster as if to say "I see what you're doing, and you can't get away with it!"

Belief in the evil eye is historic. It occurred in Rome and Ancient Greece, and is found in Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, and Hindu traditions. The evil eye has persisted throughout the world into modern times.

Even without this historical knowledge, they are very decorative, cheap and a typical item you should take home as a souvenir for family and friends as it’s such an enjoyable tradition, and a beautiful little piece of craft-art very much apart of the Turkish culture. You don’t have to look far to find them, they are everywhere and I know when I was in Turkey, I got given many evil eyes as gifts in shops and by people in the street for some strange reason.

One thing I did notice, is that when you wear an evil eye whilst in Turkey, the people will be surprised and charmed by this... as it shows you are interested in Turkish culture and I always got a warm reception because of it, which was nice!

And that, my friends, is the story of the Turkish Evil Eye.

Have them all over the place..in the house,on my bag/purse,jewellery..but never knew their real significance!! Maybe now my luck might change lol :)