Pammukale Day Trip By Public Transport

Well as I was a little bored today thought I would pop up to see Hierapolis and Pammukale.
Caught the Dolmus from Kustur to Selcuk and hopped on the 09:01 train to Denizli. For anyone who does not know, Turkish trains are very comfortable with reclining seats, good leg room and of course AC. More importantly they apply the German model of efficiency and when they say they will depart at 09:01 believe me they do. The return fare was 25 Tl. The train wandered inland calling at, wait for it; Camlik, Ortallar, Germencik, Incirliova, Aydin, Umurlu, Kosh, Sultanhisar, Atca, Nazilli, Kuyucak, Pamukorsen, Horsunlu, Buharkent, Sarakoy, Goncali and Nazili.
Once in Nazili Gar you go out the main door, up the steps to the street and take a left. Across the road near a large circular glass building is the huge underground Bus Station with buses going everywhere. Down the escalator and the Dolmus to Pammukale departs every few minutes from bay 76. The fare is 3.5 Tl.
I got the driver to drop me at the North Gate, the top one, allowing a pleasant walk through the Necropolis, down the Roman street to the ancient baths and of course to the Cotton Hills themselves and the amazing views over the Travertines. It takes about 30 minutes to do the walk to the terraces if you do not deviate too much (as there are some amazing tombs). Not too sure why you would take the shuttle bus which is available every 10 mins for 2 Tl.
There are still good opportunities to splash freely in the pools on the slopes but even now I still cannot get my head around the fact you will not slip walking in your bare feet ( compulsory ) on the white Icy looking surface as you follow the steep gradient down to the lower exit.
A short walk through the town with a stop for an ice cream and a cold drink and then pick up the return Dolmus from just below the Mosque.
All in all a great day for the equivalent of £16:75 ( at today's rates - including the 25 Tl entrance fee to the site ) The pictures still look spectacular. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

Great post Kustu I love adventure and this just sounds perfect way to go to Pamukkale. I have never been nor have I been on Turkish trains this is very tempting. Now where's my back pack?.......

Sexy shirk the train journey to Izmir is a great way to try the trains.
I think it's something like 5.75 Tl single.
We normally get the 11:28 from Selcuk ( as its a sensible time ) and it wanders through the countryside arriving art Izmir Basmane station just over and hour later. Not only does it stop at the airport ( which makes it popular with some back packers and other travellers ) it goes right through the street market at Tepkoy ( reminds me a bit of those documentaries you see on Indian rail travels ).
Basmane station is a short stroll from Izmir's Bazzar and if you haven't been you are in for a treat ( the Bazzar is on everyday but Sunday )
We catch the 15:40 or 16:30 home stopping in Selcuk for tea before the Dolmus back to Kusadasi.
I know the Kus to Izmir buses are good but the train is fun and takes you right into the shopping area and close to the old Greek centre of Izmir image.jpg

Nearly 3 hours but whilst I nearly crack up on a 2.5 hour flight to Spain this was different. The seat and leg room is excellent. Being able to look out the window and actually see things as well as watching town life during each of the stops as well as having a picnic with me made it a really pleasant journey.
I departed at 09:00 arrived at 12:00 and was at Pammukale by 12:30.
Planned two hours or so to look around Denizli before the train departure and have a late lunch - the shop prices were really really keen.

kay

Kusadasi Kiwi
Brilliant that someone can actually give this info. So many on various travel sites want to do it but haven't the time or the patience to work it out for themselves. It really is a magical place.

When we went I googled Thermal Hotels and had the choice of several.- they are all 4* so its a matter of choosing one that is suited to you. We found that it helps to go by car as these hotels are not withing walking range .........just a thought. Equally, it's an easy drive.

Hi All

Just to let you know that you DO NOT get off at Nazilli Train Station but Denizli Train Station. This information is incorrect.

I did the trip myself and went by Kustu's information and got off at Nazilli Train Station and looked for this Large Circular Building. No such thing. Had to get a Big Coach from Nazilli Bus Station to Denizili. I could have stayed on the train and got off at the last stop which was Denizili Train Station.

So please take note that you get off at Denizili Train Station and not Nazilli Train Station.

Hope this is of help to people WHO want to do this trip.

Rosegarden.

Hi All

Just to let you know that you DO NOT get off at Nazilli Train Station but Denizli Train Station. This information is incorrect.

I did the trip myself and went by Kustu's information and got off at Nazilli Train Station and looked for this Large Circular Building. No such thing. Had to get a Big Coach from Nazilli Bus Station to Denizili. I could have stayed on the train and got off at the last stop which was Denizili Train Station.

So please take note that you get off at Denizili Train Station and not Nazilli Train Station.

Hope this is of help to people WHO want to do this trip.

Rosegarden.

Rose garden,
You are right...I'm not sure how I mistyped that..very stupid of me.
Even my later post takes about me spending a little time in Denizili and not Nazilli
Don't know how I let that slip through.
Thank you for the correction.

Correction.
Caught the Dolmus from Kustur to Selcuk and hopped on the 09:01 train to Denizli. For anyone who does not know, Turkish trains are very comfortable with reclining seats, good leg room and of course AC. More importantly they apply the German model of efficiency and when they say they will depart at 09:01 believe me they do. The return fare was 25 Tl. The train wandered inland calling at, wait for it; Camlik, Ortallar, Germencik, Incirliova, Aydin, Umurlu, Kosh, Sultanhisar, Atca, Nazilli, Kuyucak, Pamukorsen, Horsunlu, Buharkent, Sarakoy, Goncali and Denizili
Once in Denizili Gar you go out the main door, up the steps to the street and take a left. Across the road near a large circular glass building is the huge underground Bus Station with buses going everywhere. Down the escalator and the Dolmus to Pammukale departs every few minutes from bay 76. The fare is 3.5 Tl.
I got the driver to drop me at the North Gate, the top one, allowing a pleasant walk through the Necropolis, down the Roman street to the ancient baths and of course to the Cotton Hills themselves and the amazing views over the Travertines. It takes about 30 minutes to do the walk to the terraces if you do not deviate too much (as there are some amazing tombs). Not too sure why you would take the shuttle bus which is available every 10 mins for 2 Tl.
There are still good opportunities to splash freely in the pools on the slopes but even now I still cannot get my head around the fact you will not slip walking in your bare feet ( compulsory ) on the white Icy looking surface as you follow the steep gradient down to the lower exit.
A short walk through the town with a stop for an ice cream and a cold drink and then pick up the return Dolmus from just below the Mosque.
All in all a great day for the equivalent of £16:75 ( at today's rates - including the 25 Tl entrance fee to the site )

Good morning I am coming to Kusadasi in early May and would really love to visit Cappadocia and perhaps recommendations of somewhere nice to stay. I wonder is it possible by public transport

Thanks for any guidance, much appreciated