Exchange Rate

Lots of rumors about - so far expats testing local banks Monday say no issues withdrawing lira, dollar or euro. Weds is signaled as an action day for state plan B - whatever that is. Forecasters guessing floor may be stg@13+ - I think thats their worst case scenario. The real local impact is 4-5 months away when shop stocks need to be replaced.

B

Hi, I will be over again in 3 weeks and just wondering if the cash exchange shops are ok taking sterling. I was over in june and used to use the Garanti bank but they now wont deal with non account customers and sent me to the change shop.

Hi, I will be over again in 3 weeks and just wondering if the cash exchange shops are ok taking sterling. I was over in june and used to use the Garanti bank but they now wont deal with non account customers and sent me to the change shop.
Can’t you use your ATM card and draw your funds on that? .... much quicker than waiting in the bank
Btw Garanti seem to be giving the best rates at the moment
Having said that the finance situation is up in the air and who knows what will happen ....
would love to be a fly on the wall in the Finance ministers office then again would the fly be able to make head or tail of it? Interesting days ahead me thinks.

soh

Connoisseur
don't use your (UK) bank card in the atm. the rate British banks give is appalling and they make a service charge just to add insult to injury. get a prepaid card, best exchange rates, low charges and little or no charge by the atm

They do make a charge proportionate to the amount you withdraw but although the exchange rate is a bit lower I would not call it appalling ... my Bank HSBC give me a higher rate than the Exchange offices ... I live here and the charges are ok for the super convenience ....have used this method of accessing my money in UK for 15 yrs ... however now hubby earning good money as a marine engineer I shall be after his dosh in a Turkish Bank (joke) ... if any still open for business aaaargh ...

don't use your (UK) bank card in the atm. the rate British banks give is appalling and they make a service charge just to add insult to injury. get a prepaid card, best exchange rates, low charges and little or no charge by the atm
Yes soh you are quite right about the british bank rates, just checked with my HSBC account and pretty poor. Looked at the prepay cards as you suggested and we swap appears to be the pick of the bunch. Thanks very much for the info

soh

Connoisseur
Yes soh you are quite right about the british bank rates, just checked with my HSBC account and pretty poor. Looked at the prepay cards as you suggested and we swap appears to be the pick of the bunch. Thanks very much for the info
that what i have, (weswap), 2% for an immediate change down to 1% for a 7 day swap and good mid rate exchange prices. if you fancy even better rates try buying a few shares, investors get 1.4% on immediate and free on 3 & 7 day swaps(y)

A lot of exchange shops in U.K. have run out of lira, the money card seems to be the way to go ... although some of them are not doing TL ( post office). Now it seems to be settling ( thanks Kas) if you manage a rate of 7 + your laughing and who can complain at that ? It’s stll almost 35% more than it was 3 months ago.
As I write the mid market rate is 8.08 whilst some Site are boasting a rate of a lot more. When you try to buy ,lira is not available.... frustrating

Last edited:
A lot of exchange shops in U.K. have run out of lira, the money card seems to be the way to go ... although some of them are not doing TL ( post office). Now it seems to be settling ( thanks Kas) if you manage a rate of 7 + your laughing and who can complain at that ? It’s stll almost 35% more than it was 3 months ago.
As I write the mid market rate is 8.08 whilst some Site are boasting a rate of a lot more. When you try to buy ,lira is not available.... frustrating
I was looking at HSBC and Mand S last night. Neither of them were offering lira . I didn’t realise they’d run out. Doh!!

Just went into AK here in Centrum to collect my new NEO card ... valid for 10 yrs! I had a little joke with the guy at the desk asking how the lira was doing ... saying we were a bit worried .... he did not seem in the slightest bothered or concerned ...don't worry he assured me!!

Just went into AK here in Centrum to collect my new NEO card ... valid for 10 yrs! I had a little joke with the guy at the desk asking how the lira was doing ... saying we were a bit worried .... he did not seem in the slightest bothered or concerned ...don't worry he assured me!!
Down now to 7.5 but happy with that ....

Last edited:
Folks, we were at 7.5 = 1 euro last week & then boom we had the big interest hike. But today we dribble back up to 7.37. It looks like the banks are in serious trouble. There is talk of a national BAD BANK to house non performing bad loans. I remember seeing guidance that Is bank was the weakest. Well today I see RTE is questioning the CHP board members of Is bank. Im not up on the politics but things get difficult when people get kicked in the wallet.

B