Bodrum Earthquake

peril

Connoisseur
i see there was a 6.7 magnitude earthquake in Bodrum this evening with a number of strong aftershocks leading to a small tsunami.it has been reported that there were two fatalities and some damaged caused to some of the older building. It was felt in Kos and Rhodes .

Hi Peril, we are in Kusadasi staying in the Palmin Hotel and we were awakened from our sleep with the room shaking, it was surreal as not having experienced anything like that before, we were scared stiff. I could hear guests on our landing and I took a look outside to see what was happening and everyone was heading downstairs, the feeling was calm but everyone moved quickly.
Once downstairs everyone waited outside and we were all checking our phones for any information that we could get. It was 4:00am before we got the all clear to return to our rooms, and I needn't tell you we didn't sleep a wink after that, we kept the tv on for the rest of the morning just to listen out for any other news on the earthquake.
Our condolences to the families of the people who very tragically lost their lives and best wishes to all who were injured .

Yes ... BBC World Service didn't even mention Bodrum and the small tsunami which injured so many and caused extensive damage to cars and property & major flooding ...

Yes ... BBC World Service didn't even mention Bodrum and the small tsunami which injured so many and caused extensive damage to cars and property & major flooding ...
There was coverage on BBC national television and radio news and in the national papers, with eyewitness interviews and photos and newsreel, of both Bodrum and Kos. The initial interviews with" officials" in Kos early that morning seemed to play down the extent of the damage and injuries, but gradually photos and newsreel accounts, as well as the eyewitnesses seemed to show a truer picture, and the damage and chaos was much greater than first reported. So sad for the loss of life and injuries suffered, and the damage caused to property. Our house in Kusadasi is directly on the beach, with only the garden between us and the sea. I have always been apprehensive of what would happen if an earthquake caused a tsunami, and to see the pictures from Bodrum of the floating cars just confirmed what damage can be caused by just a "small" one. I have not heard from friends of any damage in Kusadasi from the tsunami, as even though the earthquake was some miles away, the "ripple" effect from the sea would travel far, but might have just been seen as heavy surf, as in a storm. A friend who has lived in Kusadasi for many years, has previously told me that she keeps an earthquake emergency kit in her car, and a small bag ready packed in her bedroom with essentials. In the event of a major earthquake, she would get out of the house and head for higher ground as quickly as possible. She has an "earthquake drill" rather like we might have a "fire drill".

peril

Connoisseur
Saw on the news that there has been another earthquake near Bodrum - 5.3 magnitude the strongest in a fortnight of tremors in the region. No notification yet of damage or injury- it only merited the ticker tape on France 24 and Al Jazeera- and no real information on TDN.