Lake Salda & Sagalassos

Last week I decided to drive from Kusadasi to Sagalassos, stay over night and head back. On route I stopped for a repeat visit to Afrodisias and then had a picnic at Lake Salda. As you can see from the photos the beach on the lake was practically deserted although I believe it’s different at the weekends. The combination of white shore line and the amazing shades of blue in the water has to be seen to be believed. It’s said it’s the deepest lake in Turkey.
I continued on to my overnight stop at Sagalassos Lodge & Spa which in my opinion was one of the best and best value hotels I have stayed in Turkey. The staff were excellent, the room great, the pool area amazing and the evening buffet dinner was great value.
Sagalassos ancient site is spectacularly positioned on the side of the mountain. The ticket official appeared so pleased to see me, not only did he insist I have tea with him at his ticket booth he gave me the key for private viewing of the mosaic floor in the library which was closed to the general public.
The fountains on the site are unique in having the original water supply still in operation.
I passed what I can only describe as ‘Lego block mountains’ mountains where blocks of marble have been and continue to be carved out....a surreal sight.

All in all this was a great trip.

Attachments

I believe if you did it in one hop it would take 5 hours from Kusadasi to Sagalassos.
In my case I left Kusadasi at 8 am and had breakfast at Afrodisias cafe at Afrodisias site.
With breakfast and my leisurely viewing I left Afrodisias at about 12:30 and had a late picnic lunch at Salda lake 90 mins later.
I arrived at Sagalassos lodge just after 17:00.