Fethiye/Ölüdeniz

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger

• Altitude: Sea level.
  • Airport: Dalaman (DLM), 55Km from city center.
  • Resorts: Gocek, Fethiye, Oludeniz, Hisaronu.
  • Transport: Taxi, Coach, Mini-Bus, Rent-a-Car.
  • Local Sights:
    · Lycean Rock Tombs.
    · Daylan.
    · Kayakoy.
    · Saklikent.

Fethiye is a popular resort of great charm and beauty. The houses of the old town look down on the little port from a hill crowned with a fortress built by the Knights of Rhodes. At Fethiye (ancient Termessos), there are more than twenty impressive rock tombs cut out of the steep rock wall above the town. These are elaborately carved and an especially remarkable; one is the tomb of Amnytas dating from the 4th century BC built in Doric architectural style. It is worth well visiting. Other historical places in the city are the Sarcopaghi and the Fethiye Tower.
The new town of Fethiye is a very Turkish port and trading town on the SW Mediterranean coast.
Fethiye is within easy reach of the popular Calis beach and Sovaliye Island opposite the town. In May, basking under a warm sun, it is not unusual to see the snow capped peaks of the mountains in the distance to the east and south.
Oludeniz, which is considered the most beautiful beach in Turkey is nearby. Some people like to stay in Fethiye town, others in Hisaronu or Ovacik, because of the cooler weather, whereas sun worshippers will want to stay in Oludeniz.

Ölüdeniz (ur-LEW-deh-neez, "dead" or calm, sea"), only 8.5 km (5.3 miles) south of Fethiye over the mountains, is big enough to handle the crowds of swimmers and sunbathers, but not always the number of cars and buses that cram the narrow access road.
Paragliders leap from nearby mountaintops, soaring and floating above the beach and the sea, finally landing right on the beach. Tandem paragliding, where two people fly together in the same harness, is very popular.
The fertile alluvial plain behind the beach is now filled with small hotels, pensions and restaurants, and any further expansion has been relegated to the nearby hilltop towns of Ovacik and Hisarönü.

The beach takes its eerie name from the secluded lagoon at the beach's western end by the Hotel Meri. Protected by hills and entered by a narrow channel, the lagoon is calm during even the worst storms.
The Lycian Way, a 500-km (311-mile) rustic footpath, starts in Fethiye and wanders through the hills, descending to Ölüdeniz before ascending again above Kidrak and Faralya, passing the head of Butterfly Valley and the access road to the Tohum Eco-Center before wandering southeastward toward Patara and, ultimately, Antalya.

If you plan only a short stay at Ölüdeniz beach before moving on, you might want to stay in Fethiye, where prices tend to be lower, and take one of the frequent minibuses to Ölüdeniz for the day.

There are numerous activities on the beach i.e.-water ski-ing, snorkelling, scuba diving, Para sailing, banana boat, pedalo's, canoes, in fact something for everyone.

You will find there is a good number of bars and restaurants along the front of Olu Deniz and in the various roads leading from the beach. Here you can have anything your heart desires, from a Kebab to a three-course meal. In the evening the bars offer a variety of different music and entertainment.

Olu Deniz has also become something of a Mecca for Paragliding, and enthusiasts come from all over the world to take part in the sport. Towards the end of the season, usually around October time there is a big Paragliding competition, which is worth seeing as there are numerous Para gliders in the air at the one time. It is possible for anyone to take a Tandem flight with an experienced pilot from the top of Babadag Mountain, landing on the beach at Olu Deniz, an experience not to be missed.

Oludeniz consists of two parts: First part is Belcekiz or Belcegiz which lies too long through the bay to the lagoon. This part is the wavy part of Oludeniz . The second part is the real Oludeniz with the lagoon inside. This part is the calm and shallow part.

All along the Belcekiz beach, -a bit more expensive- you can find everything to eat and drink. The bars and restaurants are everytime ready for your service. The place which is called the Blue Lagoon is a National Park, which is fee-payed passing. Again, there are lots of things to eat, drink, and again, full of entertainment like water sports and beach volley.

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Things To Do Nearby

Saklikent

Another day in Fethiye, (if you had enough of Oludeniz) you can choose a different place to see. This may be Saklikent. Saklikent, is a huge valley and a canyon which goes inside 14 km. It is unbelievably high and narrow between two mountains. You'll have to walk through an ice cold waters to get to the other side of the river, if you want to see the beauties inside the canyon. You can also drink this ice cold water if you want to, because it is a very cold natural spring which comes out just where you walk through! It is so cold that you feel like you are loosing your feet inside the river, even in Summer time. This place was found about 15 years ago by a goat shepherd. And rented the place from the government for 49 years. Now, he runs the cafe-restaurant in Saklikent. On the way back to Fethiye, you can have a small break to taste the home made pancakes of the local villagers with the Ayran (a mixture of yoghurt, cold water and salt), and experience the Turkish village life. When you are leaving, do not forget to leave some tip for the children helping you to be in comfort in their houses, because they really show the best hospitality you may ever see.

Kayaköy

Fethiye, has a wonderful historical wealth. It's not only the far history I mean, but also the near history. In the far history, some of the civilisations which ruled Fethiye Region, are Lycian, Roman civilisations. They left lot's of wonderful remains all around Fethiye. In the near history, (before 1. world war.) in the village called Kaya or Kayaköy (Karmylassos), Greek people used to live in peace under the rule of the Ottoman Empire. There used to be about 3000 buildings, 5 doctors, 3 pharmacies, 1 school, 2 big churches, more than 10 small monastries. The settling of this village (the Greek settlement) date the 15th century. The small church downtown, dates 1888. The other church (the bigger one up the hill) said to be built before the small one.
In January 30 1923, there was a population exchange agreement between Turkish - Greek governments. According to this agreement, the Greek people living in Turkey would be sent to Greece and the Turkish people in Greece would be sent to Turkey. The Greek people here, by this agreement, went back to Greece; but the Turkish people living in Greece didn't want to come back to Turkey, because the Greek government did not want to pay the indemnity for any of the goods, lands, or the houses they owned in Greece. So that, the houses which were reserved for the Turkish residence, waited for a long time with allowing noone in.
Later on, the big earthquakes that shaked Fethiye Region (especially the one in 1957), really damaged the houses, and the local people used the damaged parts of the houses in their own buildings. That's why the old city is now looking like a ghost town. A long time noone allowed to use the houses, and the local people built their own houses, keeping the old ones empty. Kayaköy is not a far place from Fethiye. It's just 5 minutes from Hisarönü village, which is on the way to Ölüdeniz. Only 15 km. from Fethiye!

Dalyan

You can spend another day in Dalyan, which is about 1 hour from Fethiye. It is near the pretty Dalyan River (the ancient Calbis River), which connects the Koycegiz lake to the sea. Most of the people don't know the name of Dalyan, even if they come to Fethiye for their Holiday. But Dalyan has a very pretty atmosphere with its ancient and natural beauties. As soon as you reach Dalyan, don't waste time and bargain with one of the local fisherboat captains to take you to places to see. First stop is the mud-bath which is said to be very healthful for your skin because of the minerals and the elements it contains like Calcium, Magnesium and Sulphure. It will take only 10 minutes from Dalyan by the boat which will take you there among the marvellous landscape of the ancient Calbis river. After that, you can go back to town center and have a good lunch including the famous fish which was caught in Dalyan river. After lunch, you take your boat to take you to the Iztuzu Beach (The Turtle Beach) after a 30 minutes boat trip among the plants, birds (and maybe the turtles!) of the famous Dalyan river. This beach is one of the rare beaches on the world where the Marine Turtles come and nest. Because of that, the beaches is seriously protected by the Turkish Association of Protection of the Natural Life. The one side of this beach is the river (fresh water), and the other side is the Sea (salty water). So you can decide where to swim as you entered the beach. You can go on a long walk on the sands on the Iztuzu beach, to forget all your troubles and relax. After (or before) the beach, you can also visit the ancient city of Caunos on the way back to Dalyan town center. The place to see on this hill (10 mins walk) are, the Ancient Theatre, the Roman Bath, the Temple of Apollon, and the Acropolis up the hill. Also the Carian Rock Tombs which welcomes you as you enter the town, are really amazing

The famous mud baths in Dalyan

Never seen this thread before !! Great info Mel....when I saw the last picture I had to laugh !! 8 years ago I went to Marmaris, and made the boattrip, to Turtle Beach, the Turkish "Biesbos" and ofcourse we dove in the mudpools !!! Argggghhh Have a picture of that ! Was a real nice trip dough and had a fun day ! :)

As the summer months draw to a close this season, I will be organising a few days in Fethiye.

For anyone living in Kusadasi end of season, it will be a nice break.

We stayed in Oludeniz last year and that is where we fell in love with Turkey. Obviously Turkey is made up of a lot of different places and some are probably nicer or not as nice but Oludeniz is a place i certainly recommend to anyone. I'd love to go back but we are giving Kusadasi a try next year. Went Tunisia this year not a patch on Turkey.

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Hey Anet, you should join our sister forums hun. It's about all of Turkey, not just Kusadasi. There's an Olu Deniz section too. :)

We'd love you to post your opinions of Olu Deniz on there.

thanks for that, as my brother and sister and their partners are going to olu deniz in september, i will show them your article. and with my niece and her family going to serigermi on the 13 july, and we will be coming to kus on the 17 aug, we will do our little bit in helping your economy.:cool:

Ölüdeniz

Ölüdeniz is a small resort village in the Muğla Province on the South West coast of Turkey on the Aegean Sea to the south and the high, steep sided Babadağ Mountain, 14 km (9 mi) south of Fethiye, a good 4 hours drive from kusadasi. The town is a beach resort.

Olu Deniz remains one of the most photographed beaches on the Mediterranean. It has a secluded sandy bay at the mouth of Olu Deniz, on a blue lagoon. The lagoon is a national nature reserve and building is strictly prohibited. Olu Deniz is famous for its shades of turquoise and aquamarine, and is an official blue flag beach, and is frequently rated among the top 5 beaches in the world by Travelers and Tourism Journals alike. The resort is also famous for its paragliding opportunities. It is regarded as one of the best places in the world to paraglide due to its unique panoramic views, and the Babadağ Mountain's exceptional height.
A unforgetable trip if you have a couple of days and do not mind the drive...enjoy, Stephen:cool: :cool: :cool:

Crowded beach of Oludeniz taken from a paragliding flight

The fabulous sunbathing and warm waters of the "Blue Lagoon" at Olu Deniz on Turkey's warm Mediterranean coast.

Looking West over Coldwater Bay on the walking track between Kaya Koyu and Oludeniz

Butterfly valley

The blue Lagoon

I am planning to go on a backpacking trip to Turkey and would have time to visit some places that are less sold on the tourist packages so I appreciate the information, I've even found to more information on budget traveling in the area so I start planning already.

Hi cynthia,

Take a look at kekova..try googling it.

It's somewhere between kemer and dalyan (dalyan is another must , though a bit more touristy)

There are tree huts as accomodation and a handful of small pansions (a bit like a nice hostel) plus a few small tavern type bars and some great traditional fish restaurants...the place is actually heaven (well, I believe it must be an extention at least) Lot's of handmade traditional turkish ware to purchase for souvenirs.

They do bus the odd tourist in for boat trips however as it's home to some fascinating sunken ruins.

I hope you have a great time, I think backpacking is the best way to see a country,

Charlotte

p.s. here's a link to give you an idea : http://www.kekovapansiyon.com/

I stayed in Hisaronu at the St Nicholas Gardens! Olu Deniz is lovely. We went everyday, one disappointment though, read tons of stuff about the blue lagoon, so we went down to it and it was crap! Full of naked old people and the water is horrible! its all greasy with sun cream lol. So we just stayed on the main olu deniz beach which has loads of fish! and do the boat trips they're so much fun! we did 3 in a week hehe. And buy a snorkel cos theres so much fish to look at!