Buying a car in Turkey

Hi All

Anyone know about buying a car in Turkey. Just need a holiday second hand car no smaller than a FIAT PUNTO. Also what is the situation with car insurance - cheap or expensive? and also car tax !

Hiring a car is not an option - anywhere we have enquired about it, it has worked out at about 300 euros a week..

Thanks

Tammy

Anniebubble

Ladies Beach's First Lady
You will not be able to buy a car just for a holiday unless someone buys for you.Dont think it would be worth the effort.

car

We have a place in Kusadasi and plan to stay there every summer as well as other periods during the year.. We will have 3 children with us one will be 4/5 weeks old, a 2 yr old and a 7 yr old... so trying to get in and out of Dolmus buses is a major problem with two buggies or with our twin buggie..

Hence the reason for a car.. It will make life easier going to places with the children.. especially when I will be alone with the children most of time when in Turkey. Rental is not an option. were are they going with the prices on that one.

SO how do we go about getting a car over there... there has to be a way !!
Someone has mentioned that we could import a car from Italy but how do we go about registering it over in Turkey?

**claire**

Super Moderator
Im pretty sure you have to have a residents permit, & tax number to buy a car.
As far as importing a car, it is a complete nightmare & will cost you a fortune, you would have to pay Import duty & get Turkish plates (I believe you have 6 mths to do this)

if you scroll down to 11.4 on this link it will tell you a bit more

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
Hi Tina

Second-hand cars are quite expensive compared to the Uk/Ireland with the cheapest decent runaround averaging around 4,000euro.
Unfortunately there is no other way to buy a car yourself other than having a Residency Permit. It may work out cheaper and safer if you (as you say you will be in Turkey without your husband at times) to do this.
It would need to be a very good friend to trust someone to be the legal owner of your car ;)

Alison

taz_zina;100907 said:
Hi All

Anyone know about buying a car in Turkey. Just need a holiday second hand car no smaller than a FIAT PUNTO. Also what is the situation with car insurance - cheap or expensive? and also car tax !

Hiring a car is not an option - anywhere we have enquired about it, it has worked out at about 300 euros a week..

Thanks

Tammy
You can buy a car at tax free prices and if you bring a car into the country and you are a pensioner you can renew your permit every 6 months without taking it out of the country.

We also have a place in Kusadasi (15 years) our names are John & Fahriye (Turkish wife of 31 years) and have wondered about buying a car this time around to keep there, we have found no reference to doing this and it seams there are no hard and fast rules for doing so, but will keep you posted if and when it happens.

John.

I bought a car in nov. 2006, secondhand Logan, at Mimar Renault dealer;
They arranged fot all the paperwork and plates, even insurance.
I do not have a residence permit, we only live periods of 1 to max. 2 months in Kusadasi. Maybe Mimar knows the way and the people.( I did not pay any extra fees!!)
Tony

ally

Rose of Kusadasi
Hi King

Is your car registered in your name? Does it have MA plates? I think the rules for foreigners buying a car changed in 2007 and that you no longer need a Residency Permit to buy one.
One thing I've read is that if your car as MA (MB, MC etc) only the registered owner is allowed to drive it.

Question

If you bring your car over i believe your only allowed 6 months, is this ruling for a calender year? if it is does this mean i could bring it over in July which would equate to 5 months and then a new year starts making another 6 months so all in all you would be allowed 11 months before you had to take it out of the country?

Unfortunately, no way! It's not 6 months but exactly 180 days that you're allowed to keep your car in Turkey! But I love the way you're thinking, foochi...alas, no way to outsmart turkish gümrük!

hi king, could you give us some details of the car ie size, petrol or deisel, mileage age and what it cost you? bit rude to ask but would give us an idea of what to expect as were planniing to do same later in year cheers

You can check out their website, every brand has a website very similar to the ones you would find in Europe, it's mostly www.xxx.tr, to see the prices go to "Fiyatlar" or "Fiyat Listesi", just like at home you can see basic prices and all the extras! Good idea to do this with somebody speaking turkish!

The price paid for 2nd hand cars in Turkey is ridiculous. Many would only be scrap value in western europe but will sell for over 2000ytl in Turkey. I have looked at numerous ways of buying second hand cars abroad and driving them to Turkey but the laws on importing cars are water tight and there is no legal way round them. I believe second hand car smuggling is a well organised crime in Istanbul.

..i heard this last year also that you don,t need a residence permit to buy a car here in turkey ,has anybody any confirmation on this ,or does anybody know were i can find out in kusadasi,i dont want to ask a car dealer as they would probably say its ok ,just to get a sale.,as a scooter showroom told me last year it was ok.you just don,t know who to beleive..:huh:

jake i bought a scooter when i was over in april paid for someone to do all the running around all you need is a address a few days later he came back with ma plates regesterd in my name you also have to go to notare if you use a mister fix it to give them power of attorney hope this helps phil