cellular phones and service?

#1
hey everyone,
so im planning my (almost) five month long trip to turkey, and i figure i might need a phone there.

what im wondering is , will my cellular phone from Canada (Rogers ATT Wireless) work in Turkey? will i need to buy another one there?

How expensive are phones there? are the services prepaid such as calling cards , based on contract or monthy ? any info is appreciated thankyou!! :eek:
 
#2
aasiyah said:
what im wondering is , will my cellular phone from Canada (Rogers ATT Wireless) work in Turkey? will i need to buy another one there?
Mmm - Dont know the answer to that one. Guess its a case of suck it and see.



aasiyah said:
How expensive are phones there? are the services prepaid such as calling cards , based on contract or monthy ? any info is appreciated thankyou!! :eek:
Phones range in price from about 250YTL up to 1200YTL for the latest models. A reputable shop will also be able to sell you a pre paid sim card from one of 4 providers, the most popular being either Turkcell or Telsim (I would def opt for Turkcell) and you are online in a few hours.

If you want to pay extra you can opt for Gold numbers, you know, special easily remembered numbers. I recall the basic Hazir Kart (Sim Card Paket) is about 80-100YTL depending on where you shop.

Gold paket around 150-250YTL.

Top ups are from 100 kontor to 1000 kontor - 10YTL to 65YTL.

Monthly is available (Umit correct me if I am wrong) but not available to foreigners unless you go to Izmir to register.

I opted for the easy option, Turkcell Hazir Kart and pre paid top ups with a Gold Number (but I am a snob at heart) :p
 

**claire**

Super Moderator
#3
aasiyah said:
hey everyone,
so im planning my (almost) five month long trip to turkey, and i figure i might need a phone there.

what im wondering is , will my cellular phone from Canada (Rogers ATT Wireless) work in Turkey? will i need to buy another one there?

How expensive are phones there? are the services prepaid such as calling cards , based on contract or monthy ? any info is appreciated thankyou!! :eek:
Aasiyah, if you have a tri-band phone it will work in Turkey. the only problem you may have is that a lot of phones are locked (so that you can only use a sim card issued by your provider - ie ATT) ask in a phone shop in canada or call your provider, they will be able to tell you if your phone is locked.

you should be able to get in unlocked, i know here in the UK you can & it costs about £10 .. then any sim card will be accepted.

:)
 
Top