Nemrut Dagi

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Turkey is just Amazing...I thought i'd post up some information about Nemrut Dagi, as I found it so interesting.

Nemrut Dagi

Nemrut Dagi, which is also known as Mount Nemrud, is a 2,150 meter high mountain near the Ankar Mountains in Anatolia, in Southeastern Turkey. Nemrut Dagi was rediscovered in 1881 and is one of Turkey’s most amazing sights. A mountain top scattered with colossal statues of ancient gods, including large statues of Apollo, Fortuna, Zeus, Heracles, and Antiochus I Epiphanes, King of Commagene.

The site was constructed by Antiochus 1, who prided himself on his royalty and power. He was deposed in 38 BC by the Romans after a 26 year reign. Antiochus believed himself to be the descendent of Apollo so, he built a statue of himself along with other gods.

This place stands as a beautiful and powerful reminder of a brilliant, if somewhat egotistical, leader who died over 2,000 years ago. And here you can wander around the mountain which seems to be made up of millions of loose stones and statues of the gods and kings (see pic below) ..Many of the hotels in the area offer sightseeing trips to this site. And it's wonderful to watch the sunrise and sunset on Nemrut Dagi.

wow sorry iv only just seen this very interesting though! i think of that greek mythology is really interesting but i didnt know the gods had been in turkey too! xxxx

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Yeah Greek mythology is really fascinating.

Turkey is like a treasure map ...full of things to discover.

It has so many great places like this..I would post about all of them but it would get kinda boring for y'all...

It's such a wonderful country, there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.