Advice please on turkish lira

hi everybody,we are going to turkey for the first time in May and i was wondering is it better to get our lira whilest we are there.Also we are going for two weeks all inclusive,which i have never done before,i was wondering about, on how much we would need to take, there are two adults and four children going this probably seems a silly question to ask but im really not sure on how much to take.Are the excursions expensive in kusadsi.would be gratefull for any help.
Ruth xx :D

**claire**

Super Moderator
Hi Ruth,

i think you will get varied responses for this as we all have different experiences of exchanging money.

i always take cash with me, i get the lira from travel agents (which ever has the best rate ..& commission free) normally high street agents, like thomsons (former Lunn Polly).
they can also do travelers cheques for you, if you prefer not to take cash.

exchanging your pounds when in Turkey is easy also & you do usually get a good rate, either the same or a bit higher than here in the UK.

as you are all inclusive, you wont need that much cash. the excursions can be costly (but not as high as other resorts i have been to) & these cna be paid for with cash or credit card. i have paid for excursions on cedit cards before, & i actually got a better price for it (when i looked at my statement when i returned, the exchange rate was better)

if you decide to eat / drink out of your hotel, the prices are really reasonable, so you wont spend a huge amount of cash.

ATM machines are located i the centrum & you can take out lira from them, your bank usually charges about £2 to do this, so take out as much cash as you think you will need in one go.

:)

I always change my money down there, but thats bcause we pay a more high commesion here in denmark. Everytime i ask my bank if its better to change here or in Turkey they say "they dont know" :huh: So i just take my Dk money with me, and i will continue to do that.
If u r using your credit card to withdraw cash from that bank try to ask your bank in your country if the take a fee, evertime u make a withdrawal. I found out that they did that, last time i was in Turkey. So if u r taking money from the bank mashine, dont just take 20ytl or 50ytl, cause thats a was of money.
As for how much money u should bring, that depends on how much shopping u wanna do ;)

**claire**

Super Moderator
Ruth,

ive been looking on the Net for the best deals, best i can find is with Travelex

they guarentee the best exchange rates in the UK.
you order the money online (in cash or travellers cheques) & they will arrange for you to collect it all at the travelex counter at the airport you are flying from (any UK airport)

it is commission free also

:)

Not strictly true! Some Hotels are no only doing all inclusive from 11:00 till 23:00 so if you order outside those times you will get a bill when you leave!

Worth bearing in mind

**claire**

Super Moderator
merlin said:
Not strictly true! Some Hotels are no only doing all inclusive from 11:00 till 23:00 so if you order outside those times you will get a bill when you leave!

Worth bearing in mind
alos remember that normally only the local drinks are included, not named brands like Gordon's Gin, Smirnoff etc :)