The death of the pope

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Oh really... Not long ago then. Really Hope he can R.I.P.

(Also I know Sue is very upset..And I cant txt her back but sometimes she reads the forums via her phone - so if you are reading this Sue *big cuddles* to you, chin up babe at least now he isnt in any pain hun)

What a man!

The Pope has reigned for more than 26 years and 5 months.

That is the third longest pontificate in the history of the Roman Catholic Church.

During that time Pope John Paul II has:

:: Travelled a total of 775,231 miles in papal trips inside and outside Italy.

:: Made 104 trips outside Italy

:: Visited 129 different countries and territories

:: Made 146 trips in Italy and made 301 visits to parishes in Rome

:: Read more than 20,000 addresses and read nearly 100,000 pages of addresses

:: Held more than 1,160 general audiences at the Vatican that have been attended by more than 17.64 million people

:: Issued more than 100 major documents, including 14 encyclicals, 45 apostolic letters, 14 apostolic exhortations, 11 apostolic constitutions

:: Beatified 1,338 people, more than all of his predecessors in the last four centuries combined.

:: Canonised 482 people, more than all of his predecessors in the last four centuries combined.

:: Appointed 231 cardinals, of whom 183 are still alive and 119 under the age of 80 and eligible to enter the conclave to elect a new Pope.

:: Of these 119, 116 have been appointed by John Paul and only three by Paul VI, who reigned from 1963 to 1978.

:: Held talks with more than 1,590 heads of state or government.

:: The largest crowd at a papal mass was some four million in Manila in 1995.

:: The smallest crowd to attend a papal mass was about 200 people during a trip to the Nordic countries in 1989.