Things you take for granted in the UK.....

I can think of quite a few things that are unavailable here in Turkey. Might be worth stocking up on them if you are moving here......

English butter - Not for love or money can you get proper butter in Turkey.

Coriander - not the powder, but the root variety - for anyone who loves cooking, this herb is essential so you had better bring a few roots over to start your own herb garden.

Smoke Alarms - So expensive here and so cheap in the UK - bring a couple over for your own peace of mind!

Videos - If you have an older style video camera and do not want to invest in the newer digital video cameras, then to transfer your captures, you will need a video recorder - they just dont sell video recorders here - its all DVD. Tape to DVD transfers can be arranged in a couple of shops in Kusadasi but are expensive, if you have an old Video machine - then bring it with you and save some money.

Babies - If you have or are planning a baby, then I suggest you plan ahead and bring everything with you that the baby will be wanting for its first year in life.

Not only are baby essentials very expensive here, some items you would take for granted are simply not available. SMA and Calpol is sold in many chemists, but things like teething powder are unheard of.

There is a mothercare in Izmir albeit the smallest I have ever seen and lacks any variety, plus everything is sold at a premium to UK prices.

Electronic Goods - If you are moving here and require any electrical goods ie. Hifi, Camera, Computer Gadgets ie PDA, MP3 player - then buy them at home before you come - the latest models are available from Izmir but sometimes at a huge premium.

All UK branded medicine essentials like Anadin Extra or Beechams Powders, cannot get them here.

I am sure I will think of some more, but if you have any to add, please do so!

PAXO! How did I forget that one! A must for the traditional Sunday so make sure you have plenty! LOL

Cranberry Sauce for Xmas

Gravy Granules - Unbranded is available here from the food wholesalers but v expensive.

Piccalilli or Branston - yes I know you can do your own home made, but a few jars in tow will save you time and you cant beat the real thing. :p

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
As Judes knows..My mam always takes Corn Flakes and Tea bags whenever she goes on holiday, Lol.

I don't know exactly what they do and don't sell in Turkey compared to the UK, But since I moved to Holland..I know there are alot of things that you miss from home because they don't sell them here. You don't even really think about them until you realise you can't buy them.

Carmella said:
there are alot of things that you miss from home because they don't sell them here. You don't even really think about them until you realise you can't buy them.
Exactly hun! Although Migros has a few imported items, its no substitute for Tescos!:doh:

**claire**

Super Moderator
I always get asked to bring out toiletries (deodorant, spray, Razors etc)Are the costs for this type of thing that much higher in Turkey? :huh:

**claire** said:
I always get asked to bring out toiletries (deodorant, spray, Razors etc)Are the costs for this type of thing that much higher in Turkey? :huh:
Not at all - maybe its because you smell LOL

(I will get a severe slap for this I know);)

**claire**

Super Moderator
merlin said:
Not at all - maybe its because you smell LOL

(I will get a severe slap for this I know);)
i smell of nothing but Roses!! :p

The for-mentioned items are not for me ..male items!!

Maybe the british stuff smell's nicer!!??

**claire** said:
i smell of nothing but Roses!! :p

The for-mentioned items are not for me ..male items!!

Maybe the british stuff smell's nicer!!??
The range in the UK is better, yes.

And I do think the Turkish guys here treat English bathroom products as trophies amongst their friends.

Cannot blame them because where they are available here they are extortionately priced.

**claire**

Super Moderator
merlin said:
And I do think the Turkish guys here treat English bathroom products as trophies amongst their friends.

Cannot blame them because where they are available here they are extortionately priced.
Thanks!!!!!

Agree with the trophy part!!! last year i took my man a selection of Adidas sprays & deodorants & you would have thought it was christmas the thanks i got!!

of course ..all his mates had to have a spray :D

**claire** said:
Thanks!!!!!

Agree with the trophy part!!! last year i took my man a selection of Adidas sprays & deodorants & you would have thought it was christmas the thanks i got!!

of course ..all his mates had to have a spray :D
Sometimes makes you wonder Claire about values eh.

Giving the same products to an English guy as a birthday or xmas pressie and he would not be so impressed.

**claire**

Super Moderator
merlin said:
Sometimes makes you wonder Claire about values eh.

Giving the same products to an English guy as a birthday or xmas pressie and he would not be so impressed.
I know .. i didnt even think of them as a gift, just a little something that i thougth he would like!!

i always miss the bread from england i love a good loaf of warbatons lol! and i miss the tinned food and the burgers.
the burgers in turkey look like spam and are not as good as here , and theres no tinned soup or anything.
I found that buying toiletries was cheaper and easier to buy in turkey and it leaves extra room in your luggage for other things. :eek:

Don't forget your Marmite - definitely not available here. Facial make-up wipes. There are only a couple of brands here and they are expensive compared to the UK. However, there is a cellulite cream here, so I'm told not needing it myself, that is only about 12ytl and in the UK is about 25GBP!! So you could take it home sell it and buy what you need to bring back out of the profits!!

Dog chews and treats are not too imaginative and doggy toys are expensive!

There is no coconut milk. Soya milk is very expensive.

Someone moaned today about the lack of frozen food available. I told them I buy it fresh and freeze it myself, although I prefer to buy it fresh and eat it fresh. The local produce is just fabulous.

merlin said:
Babies - If you have or are planning a baby, then I suggest you plan ahead and bring everything with you that the baby will be wanting for its first year in life.

Not only are baby essentials very expensive here, some items you would take for granted are simply not available. SMA and Calpol is sold in many chemists, but things like teething powder are unheard of.QUOTE]

Wow thats very usefull thank Merv, definately something to know now and not in 3-4 years when im paying a fortune for this stuff!
Cheers Buddy :)

I think they are stingy with it, we always had to buy our own over there!! Either that....or we were like the toilet monsters ha ha :D

"Red Cross Parcels" ha ha, sounds classy! :p

We found Migros pretty much okay pricewise for most things except honey. Cost an arm n a leg. Everywhere time we go in Morrisons I give it "only x amount in migors" till we wanted honey. What did I get? "Not this cheap in Migros" Okay says I point taken. Any advice anyone? Is it cheap on Friday Market?