In loving memory of John Paul our Pope

I cried last night when i saw the 100,000 people outside Saint Peter's Basilica, after The Holy Father, Pope John Paul passed away! Being a Catholic, we feel it that bit more, in fact i stayed up till 3 this morn watching footage of his wonderful life on the news! He was a great man, the first pope to come out and meet the people, a man who helped bring down the fall of communism in Eastern Europe without firing a single shot.

He will be greatly missed, not only by Catholics and other christians but also by muslims, hindu's and Jews many of whom i saw praying for him last night and all through the week. He was a shephard that went among his flock, he was the first pope to pray in a Mosque and also in a Synagogue and ask forgiveness for the sins comiteed against Jews and Muslims by Christians throughout the centuries.

He invited world religious leaders from different churches to eat with him on several occasions, because John Paul, growing up in Poland and seeing the Jewish friends he was in school with as a young man sent to the nazi death camps and his country overrun by communism, understood the meaning of compassion and his disdain for oppression of human rights was evident throught his papacy.

The Irish will never forget when the Pope visited Ireland after he toook up his papacy. In the time of the worst troubles in Northern Ireland the Pope said:

"Young people of Ireland, I love you! And never forget, that in the time of your troubles, the Bishop of Rome walked among you."

We loved him in Ireland, he was our spiritual leader and leader to a billion people around the world. He was loved by those who had no faith too!

We love you John Paul, and we will miss you.

Grant unto him, peace oh Lord and may perpetual light shine upon him. May his soul and the souls of all the faithfully departed,

Rest in Peace

AMEN

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
wow...That was written beautifully, Tricia.

I didn't know much about him, but from what you have posted - He seemed like a wonderful man.

RIP <3

Thanks Mells, i just wanted to pay some kind of tribute, theres not a lot know about the man's history generally, like that both his mother and only brother died when he was a child etc, he's suffered greatly in his life!

Lovely writing Shan..... same as Mell here did not know much about him but something that big is good to pay attantion to here on the forum !!

awwwww it is upsetting to hear about the pope but im glad he wont be in pain anymore he suffered a lot in the last few weeks! but he sounds like a wonderful man who touched the hearts of many people.

i dont like all this death stuff lately, a teacher at my school died last week of a stroke she was only 33 and my bestest friends grandma died a couple of weeks ago and whilst we were all on out trip at the weekend we found out today that her dad died yesterday whilst we were all having fun! iv been crying so much i cant begin to imagine what she must be going through :cry:

Shannon well done love that was beautifully written.

Its sad time for all of us, we knew he was going but it was still and awful shock!

I remember the story of Pope John Paul when he was on his way to Lisotho in Africa for a visit, his plane had to take an emergency landing in South Africa. At that time the countries aparthide was in full swing and of course the Pope disapproved of any infringement on human rights, he was asked on many occasions to visit the country, but always refused on account of this. The media in South Africa tried to manipulate this situation to their own advantage., as if the Pope was giving them his blessing. As it was custom for the Pope to kiss the soil of the country he was visiting, he declined to kiss the soil of South Africa! So instead the Pope was able to publisize his disgust at South Africa's oppressive regime.

God Bless, Rest in Peace Pope John Paul.

We will miss you.

Karol Wojtyla 1920 - 2005
Rest in Peace John Paul II.

I was very fortunate to have seen the Pope on his visit to Knock in 1979, a truly great experience.

But I know his legacy will live on for many years to come.

May eternal peace be granted onto him

Wow, i was moved at the funeral today. 200 hundred heads of state shows just what John Paul II meant to the world and the impact he had. Some Muslim countries had national days of mourning!

I also saw leaders of all religios denominations, Orthodox, Protestant, Methodist, Anglican, Islam, Judaism, Buddist, Hindu, Morman...you name it , they were all there paying there respects to a truly wonderful human being whose devotion to God, Christ Jesus and Mary was inspirational!

I feel sad, like no pope will be able to take his place, but we should look to the future like he would want.

I was moved by something the pope said on his death bed when one of the Cardinal told him of the thousands of young people who had gathered to hold vigil in St. Peter's Square. The Pope is the most recognised man in the world and has been seen more people than anyone in the world, he particularly loved the youth of nations. He said:

"I came searching for you, now you have come in search of me."

We love you John Paul, and we miss you!

Mella

Administrator
Staff member
Blogger
Shannon said:
Wow, i was moved at the funeral today. 200 hundred heads of state shows just what John Paul II meant to the world and the impact he had. Some Muslim countries had national days of mourning!

I also saw leaders of all religios denominations, Orthodox, Protestant, Methodist, Anglican, Islam, Judaism, Buddist, Hindu, Morman...you name it , they were all there paying there respects to a truly wonderful human being whose devotion to God, Christ Jesus and Mary was inspirational!

I feel sad, like no pope will be able to take his place, but we should look to the future like he would want.

I was moved by something the pope said on his death bed when one of the Cardinal told him of the thousands of young people who had gathered to hold vigil in St. Peter's Square. The Pope is the most recognised man in the world and has been seen more people than anyone in the world, he particularly loved the youth of nations. He said:

"I came searching for you, now you have come in search of me."

We love you John Paul, and we miss you!
Yeah I watched loads of coverage.It was indeed emotional. Even though I am not religious in the slightest, I had a lump in my throat.

Did you see all the people sleeping on the streets the night before? & Presidents, kings, princesses, prime ministers -- and millions of the faithful from across the world, paying tribute to the papal legacy of this 264th successor of St. Peter. It was an amazing sight...

It was like for one day, the world was at peace...

The president of Israel, Moshe Katzav, sat a few rows in front of Bashar Assad, the President of Syria. The two countries remain officially at war..

''Today was perhaps one of the greatest works in the life of the pope. Today the whole world went to Mass together -- and in peace."